Author Topic: navy number - where to go from here? I'VE FOUND HIM!  (Read 3428 times)

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
Re: navy number - where to go from here? I'VE FOUND HIM!
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 June 07 13:04 BST (UK) »
It seems as though he made up up that surname completely cos i have seacrhed on bt.com for Desney in most major cities in britain and there arent any...

Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 June 07 14:13 BST (UK) »
HI Alison

It doesn't say that you need to provide a birth certificate but at least some registrars do ask for such a document

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/deaths/registeringadeath/whatdocuments.asp

I don't know much about deed polls but I do know that, in theory, people can be known by any name they like - my father in law altered his name when he married - not by much but a different spelling and pronounciation.  Three of his children were registered in this second name whilst one was registered in the true name hence when the latter came to be married, they had to change their name by legal means because they had always been known by the second name but registered in the first.  Had the vicar not asked for the birth certificate then nothing would have needed to be done as they had a mortgage/passport etc.. in the second name.

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mair

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 June 07 23:38 BST (UK) »
Right this is my next twopenneth to the discussion

Having recently registered a death - No we certainly were not asked for a B Cert just the executors in our case to provide details of the deceased. (One was the now widowed spouse - so did that allow us just to enter the details?????)

On the death cert it provides for the informants name - and the "attachment" to the deceased person.  The doctor provides the death certificate detailing the perons name etc and cause of death.  Then you take that form to the Registrars to register the death - hence informants name.  Now we had to sign to collect the death cert and to sign for registering the death. 

Now to deed poll - you can be called "Bloggs" on your birth cert and this will be your "legal" name.  However you can be called whatever you want in day to day life.  However, legal documents must still be signed in Bloggs - as that is your legally recognised name.  Should you be female and marry then legally you take your husbands name at marriage.  Should you then wish to retain your maiden name you need to Deed Poll  to retain that name for any legal documentation.  You can keep your maiden name for day to day stuff but legally you will have taken your husbands surname.

Are you now as confused as I am??

Jude
Rowland/s- Hughes -Caernarfornshire/Stockport Cheshire
Barnicoat - Cornwall Lancashire Stockport,Cheshire
Jones (!) - Caernarvonshire,NWales  USA - Iowa, Wisconsin, S Dakota.
Thomas - Anglesey, USA Iowa, Oregon