Author Topic: Donisthorpe  (Read 5576 times)

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Donisthorpe
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 June 07 07:40 BST (UK) »
Hi from Donisthorpe.

A bit of background history - the church was built in 1837 (St Johns) before that the parish was split between Netherseal and Measham, with Oakthorpe split between Measham and Stretton-en-le-Field.  To make things more difficult parts of the village were in Leicestershire and parts in Derbyshire, and in the earlier census you find different parts of the village enumerated in two parts in the different counties.  I have transcripts of most of the church registers up to about 1940 - who or what are you looking for?  The road you refer to is Acresford Road which leads from Donisthorpe to Acresford a small hamlet which although officially in Donisthorpe parish is actually closer to Netherseal.

Hope this helps 

DebbieG
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 June 07 07:47 BST (UK) »
Oh - May,  the shop part of the house we live in was once owned and run by Wright & Cashmore, don't know if this is of interest

Debbie
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Offline Snorbins

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Leicester Lants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 June 07 09:28 BST (UK) »
Hi DebbieG,
I am looking for a house around 1900 that was 392 Acresford Road, it failed to come up on the census' as the brewary seemed to be the only major address on that road.
Also looking for a Samuel Shaw and Annie Coleman who lived in the area around the 1910's and it seemed lived together prior to marriage. There were a number of children some of whom we can follow but the majority evade any record (at the moment).
We are fairly sure Sam or Annie where buried in the graveyard at Donisthrope.
Any help gratefully received.

May - thanks for the link.

Howard.
Lant;Hunt;Richardson;Holyland;Thorneloe.

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 June 07 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Howard

I have found some bits for you,  - from the Donisthorpe cemetary records a Samuel Shaw was buried 10th Jan 1962 aged 79 of Church Street Donisthorpe grave number 4329.

An Annie Elizabeth Shaw was buried 16th Febuary 1966 aged 84 of Ramscliffe Avenue Donisthorpe grave number 4328

given that these two were buried next to each other it is very likely that they were husband and wife and I think are the people you are looking for.

I am not sure about the Acresford Road connection, by 1914 when they had a daughter baptised in Donisthorpe Church they were living in Newbolds Row Donisthorpe and Samuel was working as a collier - I hope this is the right couple.  I won't put any names on here because it is just possible that some of these people are still alive, but they had another 3 children baptised in Donisthorpe after that.

Is this the sort of Information you were looking for?

Debbie

Offline Snorbins

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Leicester Lants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 June 07 10:41 BST (UK) »
Debbie, you are magic.
So as you know the link, its a removed side of my family and I am doing some research for them.
I have listed below who I think the children are (let me know if I am right on the name you have):

Lilian  (b 1912)
Elizabeth  (b 1914)

Thanks,
Howard.
Lant;Hunt;Richardson;Holyland;Thorneloe.

Offline Paulnight77

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 11 December 11 05:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi I'm.looking for info.on my family they're last name is actually donisthorpe can any one help me for my family tree any info would be good thanks

Offline BronnieH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 28 April 18 18:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Paulnight77 - I too am researching a Donisthorpe family.

Offline hayesstw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 14:57 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this is the right county, but can anyone tell me but what was the next Parish to "Oakthorpe & Donisthrope" in 1891. The sub district was Hartshorn (Ashby De La Zouch).
The reason I ask this is I have an address in Acresford St which fails to appear on the area census. The most probably reason is that the remainder of the road fell under a different sub district.
Any ideas gratefully received.

At one time Donisthorpe was on the border of Leicestershire and Derbyshire. One side of the river was in one country, and the other half in the other. So you may find what you want under Leicestershire. Some of my wife's ancestors were born there, and were baptised at Over Seal which was then, I think, in Leicestershire. The country boundaries have changed several times.
HAYES - Bristol & Somerset
STOOKE - Bristol & Devon
GROWDEN, SANDERCOCK - Cornwall & worldwide
VAUSE - Humberside & South Africa
HANNAN - Glasgow & Ayrshire
COTTAM, BAGOT - Lancashire
GREENAWAY - Cornwall, South Africa
PEARSON, ELLWOOD - Cumbria