Author Topic: SHEARS, Winterslow  (Read 7597 times)

Offline colinsorigins

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shears, Winterslow
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 01 May 07 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Hazel

Don't give up on Winterslow, if you are in the area it is worth a visit.   There is very little to see, but being able to put places to names does help you understand how the families and marriages fit together.   I have been twice, but then I only live 75 miles away.

It is an isolated, widespread amorphpous area with no focal point.   The church is on the extreme western edge and the common is on the eastern edge.   There are two pubs and a village shop but I did not see any sites of interest.   I found my great grandparents' graves and I would expect you to find graves of interest.

I see that you mention the Judds.   Nearly everybody from Winterslow has a Judd ancestor.   You should have fun tracing yours as there are about 300 Judd baptisms up to 1837.

Wiltshire Family History Society has published complete transcripts of baptisms and burials from the Winterslow parish register, and, if you are intent on tracing yours ancestors, the transcripts are well worth buying.

Happy hunting

Colin
Winterslow: Shears, Sheath, Stainer, Ballard
Wilton: Pressley, Beckett
Downton: Davis
Oxford: Honey
Usk/Caerwent: Thomas
Radnage/Dixton: Howells

Offline Hazzy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 01 May 07 19:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you Colin for all the info. I'm not to far away, so think I will still pay a visit.

It's interesting about the parish records. Can you give me the information, as to were  I can purchase these transcriptions.  Save going to the Wiltshire records office.

Hazel

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 03 May 07 10:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,

This might be Emily in 1901, transcribed as SHEAN, could be SHEARS  :)

1901  RG13/1853  f.33  p.2  Southampton St. Mary, Hampshire
1A Avenue

Alfred WILKINS     Head  M  66  Living on own means         Berks Reading
Annie    "  "           Wife  M  44                                        Hants Southampton
Emily SHEARS?  Servant  S  24  General Servant (Domestic)  Wilts Winterton?

If she is living in Southampton then I found this possible marriage,

Emily SHEARS  Jun Q  1901  Southampton  v.2c  p.30

other names on page;
Dorothy ENGLISH 
Walter JOHNSON
Walter Jabez OLIVER

Regards
Daisy

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Hazzy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 03 May 07 22:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you daisy. It could well be her.

I've just sent of for the certificate, as I found out on the 1881 census that Charles Shears was living in the Amesbury area then, so it's quite feasible she was registered there and he could be the father. I've also found out he had another daughter called Rose. She appears to live with Issac Shears in 1881 then with her father, back with the rest of the family in 1891, but no sign of Emily.

Offline colinsorigins

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 May 07 01:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Hazel

I have at last worked out the Amesbury connection.   Amesbury is the registration district for Idmiston.   In the 1881 census your Charles Shears is shown living No. 7 Idmiston therefore births there would appear as Amesbury.   But where Charles was living was in the detached parish of Idmiston which lies within Winterslow.   It is the area or road now called the Shripple, which you will see when you visit Winterslow is just round the corner from Gunville Hill and the Common is at the other end of Gunville Hill.   If you look in the 1881 census the next street to Idmiston you will find  is Gunville.

So in 1881, Charles was living in the family home and his daughters were each living with the two sets of grandparents, and they were all within a few hundred yards of each other.

To buy the Winterslow parish register transcripts, go to WWW.wiltshirefhs.co.uk.   'Parish registers' is in the options list on the left hand side.

Daisy's comment re: Shears and Shean is entirely feasible because I have had exactly the same problem

Offline Hazzy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 07 May 07 08:15 BST (UK) »
Thats really interesting Colin.

It's all starting to make sense now. Lets hope the certificate, can prove it all.

Offline Hazzy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 11 May 07 18:01 BST (UK) »
We have a result, thanks to down-under.

I have just received the birth certificate.

Colin you were right, you had worked it all out.

Mother, Maria Bell, married to Charles Shears occupation Woodman. Lived at Shripple Isdmiston.

Just don't know what happened to her after 1881. I wonder if my Great Grandmother did addopt her, else I can't understand the entry in the family bible.
She could have also died young.
Still I'm pleased I found out her parents.

Hazel

Offline colinsorigins

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 12 May 07 03:29 BST (UK) »
Dear Hazel

Thank you so much for the information.   It is fascinating how the families from around the Common fit together.   My current confusion is 'why isn't Emily's baptism in the parish register for All Saints?'.   It is possible that she was baptized in Idmiston, but people from the Shripple have been baptized in Winterslow since 1700 or earlier.

I think Daisy's reply probably explains what happened to Emily.   This was very interesting to me, because my grandmother Sally Ann Shears, who was also born in 1877, turned up in the 1901 census as a servant in Monmouthshire.   May be there was a recruitment agency specializing in recruiting 'country girls' as, probably lowly paid, servants.

At the moment I have started to transcribe some of the Shears entries after 1837 from the Winterslow parish register.   I shall be interested to see where Emily fits into my tree.

Good luck

Colin

Offline Isabelbrookes

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: SHEARS, Winterslow
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 10:21 BST (UK) »
Hello, just reading this old thread. Charles Shears had a son called John Shears b 1853, I believe he was my Great grandfather. Married Ann Pressley b 1852. They had 13 children my grandmother Daisy was the youngest. I think they lived on a smallholding as I remember my grandmother telling me she had to look after the bees. She won a scholarship to a university in the early 1900s (not sure the year) she was not allowed to take up the scholarship due to having to look after her disabled mum Ann. Most of my grandmothers siblings had died by the time she told me about them. She had relatives in America I assume from Sidney her brother who moved there. I always remember my grandmother had a saying to describe someone not very nice 'Twas ever the devil looked out of someones face twas hers' I believe this was a reference to Lyddy Shears who was a relative. (can't trace this) My grandmother used old country speak. My grandmother married Reginald Cooper and they had a daughter called Miriam. The daughter was supposed to be called Madeliene but Reginald had too many drinks with the birth registrar, he knew it should have been a biblical name but that was all. Daisy was furious he registered the wrong name. Daisy was super sharp and super intelligent. It has been wonderful to see how many shears there were. thank you for the extra info
Dear Hazel

Thank you so much for the information.   It is fascinating how the families from around the Common fit together.   My current confusion is 'why isn't Emily's baptism in the parish register for All Saints?'.   It is possible that she was baptized in Idmiston, but people from the Shripple have been baptized in Winterslow since 1700 or earlier.

I think Daisy's reply probably explains what happened to Emily.   This was very interesting to me, because my grandmother Sally Ann Shears, who was also born in 1877, turned up in the 1901 census as a servant in Monmouthshire.   May be there was a recruitment agency specializing in recruiting 'country girls' as, probably lowly paid, servants.

At the moment I have started to transcribe some of the Shears entries after 1837 from the Winterslow parish register.   I shall be interested to see where Emily fits into my tree.

Good luck

Colin