Author Topic: What rights do living relations have regarding headstones  (Read 34473 times)

Offline JoJoBuggins

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What rights do living relations have regarding headstones
« on: Sunday 29 April 07 20:41 BST (UK) »
went to Doncaster Family History Fair yesterday and was talking to the people from Wakefield Family Society, to learn that a Church where quite a few of our ancestors are buried is to be demolished and flats and houses to be built in the graveyard.

Just wondered if we as living relations have any rights has to what happens to the stones?

Jo :)
Verity - All Yorkshire & Scotland<br />Waring - Yorkshire (WRY)<br />Hey - Silkstone, Yorkshire<br />Dykes - Yorkshire (Leeds & York)<br />Wyrill - Yorkshire (North Yorks)<br />Anderson - Yorkshire (WRY)<br />Andrews - Yorkshire<br />Marland - Yorkshire (WRY)<br />Hanson - Yorkshire & Notts
Lunn - Yorkshire
Leng - Yorkshire

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What rights do living relations have regarding headstones
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 April 07 21:31 BST (UK) »
There is an "owner of the Grave"-who is the person who has the Grant of Exclusive Right of Burial - as I understand this-it is "owned" by the person who pays the fee and obtains the document and registers themselves with the council (or burial ground owner). This grant usually lasts for a period of 50 -100 years. headstones can only be erected which adhere to the regulations of the burial ground and can only be moved with the permission of the registrar.
The cemetery where my grandparents were buried was to be taken for a road widening scheme (which never took place), but all of the headstones were moved from the cemetery and placed around the walls of the local churchyard -a notice was posted in the local paper stating this was to happen -and of course noone knew who held the grant of Exclusive right ( the owner is supposed to register with the local authority and notify of change of address etc ). The headstones will be treated with as much care as possible, but there are always those which crumble when being moved, but records are  kept (often by volunteers) of memorial inscriptions.

Hope you can understand this -it is complicated -and I do tend to ramble!

It's not the same as being able to go to THE place though, is it?

My great grandfather is buried under a car park -the chapel took the burial ground to make a car park!!!!

One of the reasons I think family History is important is so that our ancestors are remembered in some way -after all they toiled and lived their lives paving the way for us!

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 April 07 21:50 BST (UK) »
This is slightly off topic, but I also think its hard when all the relatives were cremated and there's no grave to find and visit ...
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

indiapaleale

« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 April 07 21:57 BST (UK) »
Lydart,
Hi, yes cremation is a difficult problem for those left behind but my Mom died almost 3 years ago and after her cremation, we had her ashes places in a beautiful little box that was then buried in the cemetery in Hay on Wye.
She is overlooking the playing fields where her grandsons and great-grandsons play footie and cricket. I'm sure she is enjoying that view.
The grave is very small but large enough to have a small flat stone installed.
Cheers
Indi

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 April 07 00:29 BST (UK) »
We were talking about this on another thread the other day

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,203175.msg1218805.html#msg1218805

and I mentioned my pet hate which is car parks over graves and the stones being used as paving stones... and that developers should legally have to do something to preserve the stones (like the wall you mention) or at least the info on them before dumping them

grrrrrr. >:(
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cybermouse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 April 07 00:55 BST (UK) »
Forgive my ignorance but am I right in understanding that in cases such as these the graves are left to be built on and the grave markers are moved or demolished????
Seems almost sacrilege. I understand the lack of space in many places for old cemeteries but there is surely got to be a better way of dealing with this issue.  R.I.P should mean just that.
Booth of Derbyshire, Susquehanna, PA and Victoria, Australia, Rogers of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire, Denial, Naylor of Yorkshire, Holloway of Staffordshire, Birch of Staffordshire, Pike of London and NSW, Australia.<br /><br />UK census data is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 April 07 01:39 BST (UK) »
Sometimes RIP means "rest in pieces".

I am horrified that they are using them for paving stones.  Who would ever have thunk?
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline Comosus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 April 07 02:10 BST (UK) »
Surely if flats and houses are to be built there, they'll have to remove all the bodies from the cemetery too?  If so it's absolutely outrageous.

Andrew

Offline JoJoBuggins

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 April 07 07:05 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your interesting replies

The headstones in question are dated 1847, only went last weekend and took photos, tried reading the inscriptions, some parts readable, parts were worn away.  The Family History Society of Wakefield did the Monumental Inscriptions about 5 years ago for this Churchyard

Must say though have heard some horror stories regarding building car parks over graveyards.  It seems to be any available space, they build on it, whether Sacred ground or not!!!! >:(

Jo

Verity - All Yorkshire & Scotland<br />Waring - Yorkshire (WRY)<br />Hey - Silkstone, Yorkshire<br />Dykes - Yorkshire (Leeds & York)<br />Wyrill - Yorkshire (North Yorks)<br />Anderson - Yorkshire (WRY)<br />Andrews - Yorkshire<br />Marland - Yorkshire (WRY)<br />Hanson - Yorkshire & Notts
Lunn - Yorkshire
Leng - Yorkshire