Author Topic: What rights do living relations have regarding headstones  (Read 34487 times)

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What rights do living relations have regarding headstones
« Reply #63 on: Monday 11 June 07 21:39 BST (UK) »
Don't they have to wait  X number of years before another person can be buried in the same grave?

She died in 2000, and I'm not dead ... yet !   Don't plan to be put in it for years and years and years yet ! 
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rancegal

• RootsChat Member
  • Georgiana Smith, my great-grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Monday 11 June 07 22:01 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Lydart, I didn't mean you, I was thinking more about this (government?) suggestion about 2-tier graves to save space.
Bridge: GT Catworth, Hunts, and surrounding area
French: Blisworth,  and W. Northants

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Monday 11 June 07 22:46 BST (UK) »
I was informed about the two tier system when I re-registered the plot.
They said that there would only definately be room for one more person which didn't really bother me. They did, however, suggest that given the last burial was over 70 years ago there may be room for two more burials. No idea how that logic works - perhaps we sink.

Lydart, as your mothers direct heir you probably need no paperwork. Just as long as nobody else who may have more claim disputes your wishes. I needed a transfer to skip my eldest uncle's family.
Strachan of Strichen/New Pitsligo - Connon of Turriff - Watt of Pennan - Noble of Broadsea -  Garden of Peterhead - Bryson of Ecclefechan

Offline Cybermouse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday 12 June 07 07:05 BST (UK) »
I am attaching a photo another rootschat member took for me a week ago. This graveyard is where my GGGGrandfather and other rellies are buried but alas no markers left. But the photos show a graveyard beautifully maintained with wildflowers growing everywhere. Whilst I was disappointed at not being able to get a photos of my rellies gravesite it was soooo nice to see they are buried in such lovely peaceful surrounds. I think other cemeteries could take a leaf out of this one's book!
Bron :)
Booth of Derbyshire, Susquehanna, PA and Victoria, Australia, Rogers of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire, Denial, Naylor of Yorkshire, Holloway of Staffordshire, Birch of Staffordshire, Pike of London and NSW, Australia.<br /><br />UK census data is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday 12 June 07 07:43 BST (UK) »
I visited my great grandfather's grave site at Liverpool Cemetery (Sydney AUS) a number of years ago. He was buried in an unmarked plot in the "Paupers" section, which is just a grassed area. I was told by cemetery officials, as this section of the cemetery was nearing 100 years, Italian Crypts were soon to be built over the top of the area. Luckily, I had a grid reference for the grave, and was able to approximately pinpoint where he would have been buried. I marked the spot, and took a photo of the general area including that marker - to my knowledge, the only photographic reference to his grave. A recent visit to the cemetery revealed the new crypts had now encroached over the "Paupers" section.  >:(

Les

de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday 12 June 07 08:54 BST (UK) »
I wondered if anyone has found the final resting place of their ancestor only to be asked by the local authority or church to pay for the upkeep of the grave or headstone?

Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday 12 June 07 10:25 BST (UK) »
I think there must be a great difference between 'council' graveyards, and rural village churchyards ... God's Acre, as Cybermouse rightly calls it.   

Thankfully, we have masses of room in our churchyard ! 
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 19:22 BST (UK) »
I was informed about the two tier system when I re-registered the plot.
They said that there would only definately be room for one more person which didn't really bother me. They did, however, suggest that given the last burial was over 70 years ago there may be room for two more burials. No idea how that logic works - perhaps we sink.

I could explain but it is not for the squeamish, in effect yes, they and the coffins sink.
Cheers
Guy sink
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline cassandra123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 19:44 BST (UK) »
whoever in the family has the grave papers would be informed or a notice put in the local press is usually done. but if they don't want complications they simply post in in two newspapers they don't have to be in the local area, London and say Aberdeen would do for Lancashire.

they are supposed to remove any remains which are then cremated and usually placed in a memorial garden.

This is all very well and good, but if it is in conflict with that persons religious beliefs,  its simply just too bad.

The grave papers are valid for 100 years and then the owner of the land usually the local authority or a specific Church then have the right to decide what to do with the graves whether to leave them as they are, re-use them or build on them.
"This sad little lizard told me that he was a brontosaurus on his mother's side.   I did not laugh.
People who boast of ancestry often have little else to sustain them.......

By Robert A Heinlein