Author Topic: Patrick Harrigan tried in Castlebar - aliases include Haddigaddy, Hargedon etc  (Read 18518 times)

Offline Michael Halligan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Harrigan tried in Castlebar - aliases include Haddigaddy, Hargedon etc
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 21:28 BST (UK) »
Anyone interested in the Harrigan line in castlebar should be aware that they changed there name to Halligan, i think 1855 and also changed their religion from church of ireland to Catholicism. If you check the records in Christchurch castlebar there is a record of a William Harrigan who married a Maria Mathews in 1828. Further records are in the catholic church from 1855 onwards, under Halligan. Descendants of this family still live in castlebar.

Offline Michael Halligan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Harrigan tried in Castlebar - aliases include Haddigaddy, Hargedon etc
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 September 10 20:00 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for information on my Gx4 Grandfather Patrick Harrigan who was tried in Castlebar Mayo in 1806 and sent to Sydney Australia as a convict aboard the ship the Duke of Portland.  He was born around 1774.  Family legend says that he was a prize fighter, apparently (Paddy?) Haddigaddy was his fighting name.  Unfortunately there is no record of him prior to this.  Are there any Irish descendants of Patrick out there?

Amanda
Anyone interested in the Harrigan line in castlebar should be aware that they changed there name to Halligan, i think 1855 and also changed their religion from church of ireland to Catholicism. If you check the records in Christchurch castlebar there is a record of a William Harrigan who married a Maria Mathews in 1828. Further records are in the catholic church from 1855 onwards, under Halligan. Descendants of this family still live in castlebar.

Offline maggie1403

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Patrick is my 4 x Great Grandfather as well.  Has anyone managed to track down any further information on his early life in Ireland. 

Judy Hess I am also a descendant of Elizabeth Harrigan and Thomas Kelly

Offline maggie1403

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judy. 

I also come from Elizabeth and Thomas.

Would be great to compare information.

Cheers

Margaret

Offline Judy Hess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 11 January 15 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judy. 

I also come from Elizabeth and Thomas.

Would be great to compare information.

Cheers

Margaret

Hi Margaret    My line is via Catherine , daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth,
who married James Nolan
Regards   Judy Hess

Offline maggie1403

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 11 January 15 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judy

I am descendant from their daughter Petronella

Cheers

Offline SueSandi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 13 June 15 04:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Amanda

JANE PAYNE is my Great Grandmother. On her 1859 wedding certificate in Tumut, New South Wales her mother is listed as ANN HADEGADDY which has been a mystery for me and maybe a connection to your Patrick somehow.

Jane's mother, I believe, is ANN KISS born in the colony of NSW in 1801 daughter of JAMES KISS (convict) and adopted daughter of JAMES RUSE sometimes known as ANN RUSE or ANN RUSE KISS which would make her the adopted sister of Susannah Ruse who married Patrick Harrigaddy in 1810. (Name: Susannah Ruse Spouse Name: Patrick Harrigaddy Marriage Date:1810 Marriage Place: New South Wales Registration Place: Parramatta, NSW)

When ANN RUSE married DANIEL REED in 1819 witnesses on the marriage record are JAMES RUSE and his daughter ELIZABETH WELLS (NEE RUSE). Ann and Daniel had 4 children between 1820-1826. Part of a story I found on Genes Reunited: Daniel reoffended [in 1826 and was sent to Moreton Bay, Queensland for 3 years] so Ann left Thomas with James and Elizabeth Ruse. She put 2 daughters [Hannah & Sarah] in an orphanage and 1 daughter [Elizabeth] she left with her [adopted] sister Mary Kennedy nee Ruse (formerly Crooks).

ANN also had another 4 children between 1827-1833 with JOHN HARTSHORN and 2 children between 1839-1843 with THOMAS PAYNE.

My Great Grandmother JANE ROBBINS (NEE PAYNE) gave birth to 14 children and on 7 of the records she is listed as JANE and the other 7 she is listed as REID, REED or READ but never PAYNE. Perhaps because Jane's mother only had one legal marriage to Daniel Reed.

On Jane's 1900 death certificate her mother is listed as ANN KISS.

Why Jane's mother is listed as ANN HADEGADDY in 1859 perhaps points to a relationship with someone of that name!!

Regards Sue

Offline Reeserchnfamlee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 08:07 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if you have checked out Griffiths, but it gives 2 Harrigans and 3 Herrigans in Mayo in mid 19th cent, in addition the 1901 census has some

That would give you the parish, and you could then do some local work by contacting priest or local historian in that area.

If you want to go the whole hog you get dna tests done from male Aus Harrigan and compare with any Irish Harrigans that you can get to do the test (it is possible, I have done this with my own family, including tracing descendants of a convict in Australia)

I agree with this post that we know nothing for sure until DNA testing is done.  Birth and marriage certificates may say one thing but does not prove 100% heritage of a certain ancestor...so Susannah cannot be ruled out as an adopted daughter of James and Elizabeth Ruse....

I have read the piece by Bill Jocelyn and it's an excellent article based on some facts via certification and based on what has been written in old newspapers, diaries, etc, all places we go for when we are trying to compile a story of someone who is no longer with us and can't be asked or had nothing definitive from them left behind for us to use. 

With family history, it's called looking outside the box reasonably and realising that yes children were born out of wedlock a lot in the early colonisation of NSW.  It happens but as NSW colonised more and more, it became a shame to do so like it was in England...there was no one to really judge you in early NSW...the colony was mostly made up of convicts, and upper class noisy snoities came later...

Sorry just my honest opinion...

Offline AmandaP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 03:18 GMT (UK) »
Hopefully this reply is received by those who have contributed to this thread. I realise it spans quite a number of years from my original post. We might even have contact with some of you outside of here as it is hard to tell by Rootschat display names.

I have been working with maggie1403 on a large scale Ruse family DNA project and we have in fact confirmed that Susannah Ruse was the BIOLOGICAL child of James Ruse and Elizabeth Perry. We have over 50 descendants who have compared their DNA with more currently being processed. maggie1403 has literally spent hours and hours compiling all the information.

Since posting we have also found that Patrick Hargedan/Harrigan/Haddigaddy died in June 1838 in Liverpool Hospital. This debunks the theory of Jane Payne being the child of Patrick as she wasn’t born until 6 years later. Ann’s surname was never Haddigaddy but it was Hartshorn at one point so easy enough to confuse.

Additionally, cousin Janice Ruse Huntington’s research uncovered that Patrick was tried for supplying a gun to the Threshers. He was from a town called Foxford in County Mayo, not too far from the County Sligo border.

For more information on the Ruse/Kiss DNA project, descendants of James Ruse, Elizabeth Perry and James Kiss can join our facebook group “The Descendants of James Ruse and Elizabeth Perry”.

There is also a Ruse/Kiss family reunion anticipated for September 2020.