Author Topic: Royal Military School of Music - Kneller Hall  (Read 23606 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Military School of Music - Kneller Hall
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 April 07 21:53 BST (UK) »
Scrimnet, that's great information, I've copied it for my records so I hope that is OK.  I have written to Kneller Hall tonight, so hope to get some info from them sooner or later.

My grandfather was definitely a classical musician as was my grandmother, although nobody in the family ever said that she had performed professionally.

I have already contacted the main music college in Manchester, which was established in 1973 following the merger of the Royal Manchester College of Music (1893-1973) and the Northern School of Music (1920-1973) to see if there was any record of my grandad having been there - another family story that he met my grandmother at a Manchester music college.  Rather disappointingly, there weren't any records of my grandad or grandmother.

I suppose it is possible that grandad joined the army at 15, in 1901 when he was orphaned, it just seems young today, and by 1907 he was living in Newport, Monmouthshire and getting married to my gran.  On his marriage certificate his profession is shown as Musician (oboeist), but there is no mention of him still being in the army.

It seems amazing to me that a poor orphan boy from Hull could become a professional musician, playing the oboe in the army (and later in orchestras in Manchester and Barrow in Furness, as well as possibly Glasgow, before becoming a musical director for the BBC in Scotland), when as far as anyone knows he had never had any music lessons before he went into the army.

Liz

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 April 07 22:11 BST (UK) »
Some bandboys joined at 12/13!!!

It was not at all unusual for totally untrained lads to be trained up...

Even in my day we had a "woodentop" from the Guards, who had no musical training whatsoever, who came along and learnt to play at the Regt Depot (this was in the 80s)!!!!(1980s BTW!)

I would expect that a local Regt enlisted him (have you looked for his attestation papers??) and gave him his initial training.

He may have been discharged by the time period you looked...

Many lads trained by the army went on to have glittering careers, one such was Frederick Thurston, the principal clarinettist of the BBC Symphony Orchestra in the 30s-50s.

If you can get there, the summer concerts at KH are excellent...if you can forget the aeroplanes from Heathrow every 12 mins!!
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 April 07 22:13 BST (UK) »
BTW...Orchestra in Manchester....???

Have you tried the Halle??? They have records going back ages...I'm sure they were on Radio 4 once dusting them off and talking about characters...

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 April 07 22:25 BST (UK) »
Scrimnet

I'd forgotten all about the Halle, and I used to live near Manchester!

I would expect that a local Regt enlisted him (have you looked for his attestation papers??) and gave him his initial training.

I haven't got his attestation papers, where would I get those from?  Not knowing anything about the forces, I sort of assumed that if he only joined to learn music he wouldn't have the same papers as other servicemen!

All help gratefully received.

Liz

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
  • Maggie Wright 1889-1949
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 30 April 07 22:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz

What was his surname? Some army records for A's and B's are available on Ancestry.  I found my grandfather's there.

Your story is fascinating. Good luck

Ellen

Court, Stratford on Avon, Dorsington, Welford<br />Faulkner,Glos/Warwicks<br />Higgins, Quinton<br />Bennett, Stoke on Trent<br />Stride, Hampshire<br />Wright, Stoke on Trent<br />McConnell, Co Donegal<br />Brooks, Co Donegal, Antrim<br />Jackson, Warwickshire/Isle of Wight/India/army<br />Keefe, Essex, Hampshire/Isle of Wight/army/india<br, Queensland aus. />Chatfield, Sussex

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 30 April 07 22:38 BST (UK) »
Not at all!!

Soldiers first, musicians second....or so we were told!!

As a member of the forces, he would have attestation papers at Kew, there are loads of hints and tips on this site re how to get them. I doubt if he would have any medal cards. As he is pre WW1 the chances are that that his records are extant. Some of these are on line at Ancestry...if surname is A or B i he may be in the pension record lists. Otherwise you may get a name check on there...better still...post his name and someone may be able to have a look on there for you!!!

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 30 April 07 23:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Scrimnet and Elliebob.

I think I've already looked on Ancestry, but I'll have another look.  His name was Walter Benson, born 1886 (not yet bought his birth certificate but it was the Jan-Mar quarter.  I didn't expect to find him as I don't think he had an army pension - he couldn't have been in long enough to earn one.

Liz

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 30 April 07 23:25 BST (UK) »
I think it's a trip to Kew for you and a dig through the attestation sheets!!! :o :D

It might be more than worth it...I found a gt uncle's underneath my grandfathers, whom the family didn't even realise had joined up or that he had gone off to India for 12yrs!!! ;D

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 01 May 07 00:03 BST (UK) »
I think you're right.  I have one or two other people I need to find.

Liz