Author Topic: HELP with PM's  (Read 1924 times)

Offline **lizzydripping**

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HELP with PM's
« on: Monday 30 April 07 20:36 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have received an email from roots telling me I have a PM  -  when I go into read the PM from my email account) I get this message:

An Error Has Occurred!
The personal message you're trying to quote is not your own or does not exist, please go back and try again. 

However, there is no record of a new PM in my inbox.
Can anyone help please?

Lizzy :D

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
Re: HELP with PM's
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 April 07 21:46 BST (UK) »
Lizzy

I used to have problems with accessing new PMs.  I had the newest PM at the bottom of my list of PMs.

I then changed my settings - on my profile (Look and Layout preferences) I ticked the box "Show most recent personal messages at top", and then clicked the "change profile" box.

I now have the latest PMs at the top of the list, and haven't looked back since.

I hope this helps.

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 April 07 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Julian
Thanks for the help.
I have never had a problem with accessing my PM's until today.  I noticed that the PM was areply about  a previous Pm that I had deleted.. However, when I log in the new Pm isn't showing at all.

I did read recently that someone else was having the same problem.  I'll try what you have suggested hopefully this may help.

Kind regards

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 May 07 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I too have been having problems with PMs over the last few days (like Lizzy, I've never had any problems in the past).  I feel sure I've posted this on another thread in the last couple of days?

For a specific new message, there can be a new message notification while I'm logged in to RC - but when I click 'OK', it doesn't come up.
Or a message up top right of screen saying you have x messages, 1 is new - but when I click on my messages, there isn't a new one.  And it still isn't there even if I go back later.
Or an email notification that I have a new message; however, when I click on this I can actually see the new message - but only as a quote in a reply window.

I've continued to experience this problem today so, after clicking on the email notification of the most recent new message and seeing the new message as a quote in a reply window, I sent the message to myself.

After which all new messages (three or four) were suddenly there in my Inbox (including the one I'd sent to myself).  That's probably pure co-incidence - but that's the sequence of events.

It seems that those little green gremlins that race around tirelessly inside our computers trying to make all the connexions for us do sometimes make mistakes like all of us - I prefer to think that way rather than suspecting the poor little green chaps of naughtily trying to confuse us mere mortals  :o

Cheers,

JAP
PS: JulianB, I'll try your solution ...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 May 07 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Jap

It must have been your message that I saw the other day.

Just sent myself a pm and guess what -yep you guessed it - the other pm came through.  So thanks - I did think about doing it yesterday before I read your message.

So thank you once again.

Lets hope it works normally now.

Kind regards