Author Topic: McCarroll in Ardee  (Read 5368 times)

Offline Mumsiep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
McCarroll in Ardee
« on: Tuesday 01 May 07 19:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

My husband's g grandfather is James McCARROLL, who according to the 1891 census for England, was born in Ardee, County Louth c1848 - RG12, Piece 2266, Folio 143, Page 12.

He married an Irish girl called Catherine Edwards 12th Nov 1879 in Prescot, Lancashire. From that wedding cert, I know that his father was also called James, and that he was deceased before 1879. He was a cabinet maker and coach builder by trade.

A friend has searched the Griffiths Valuation and found references to the McCARROLL surname in Ardee, but it doesn't help in finding any BMD records for either man.

Please can anybody advise where or how I can find more details?

Thanks.

Pauline

Acomb, Pickup, Cass, Connell, Tew, Robinson, Bennett, Honey, Hill, Flamank, Chenery, Horwood, Richards, Yelland, Goring, Bradshaw, Wasley

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RonnieG

• RootsChat Senior
  • My gr.gr.gr.............gr.grandfather
    • View Profile
Re: McCarroll in Ardee
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 May 07 16:31 BST (UK) »
Pauline,

On the presumption that your McCarrolls were RC, I think your best way forward is to get a look at the Parish Register for Ardee.

It has Baptisms from 1763 to 1880 with some gaps and microfilms are availble to view at the NLI in Dublin.

For general info on Co. Louth see http://www.jbhall.freeservers.com/

RonnieG

Dyer - Paignton Devon
Rhodes - Wistow, Yorkshire
Moorman- Isle of Wight
Oliver - Surrey
White & Delaney - Dublin
Acres & Jackson- Tipperary & Offaly
Dowling & Mullane - Limerick
Ryan - Kildare
Heron - Down
Woods - Tipperary

Offline AnneC.

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 July 13 18:50 BST (UK) »
Hi
Try McArdle.
I am researching the name McCarroll and whereas the name McCarroll is common in Co Tyrone it seems to become McArdle when reaching Co Monaghan. Co Fermanagh and Co Louth.
I have members of the same family and in some cases they are McCarroll and in others McArdle. (McCardle).  It was a decision by the register or priest in the spelling of a name so in looking at the Irish records you need to try a lot of variations.

Anne

Offline Mumsiep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 July 13 20:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks Anne. I will try that.
Acomb, Pickup, Cass, Connell, Tew, Robinson, Bennett, Honey, Hill, Flamank, Chenery, Horwood, Richards, Yelland, Goring, Bradshaw, Wasley

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk