Author Topic: Mary Ann Davies  (Read 17597 times)

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Davies
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 May 07 22:35 BST (UK) »
William Russell Jones
Do you think that Mary Ann was illegitimate as there is a "U" against Ann? However, George Davies is clearly stated as her father on the MC. Ann is also a widow on the 1901 census. What could Fanny's proper name be? Mary Ann was known as Polly in later years. I have been searching LDS for ages and it's given me quite a headache! Thanks for your continued persistance.
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 May 07 22:46 BST (UK) »
The entry for Ann in 1881 could be an error by the Enumerator,but in any event this Ann was not with with the Family in 1871.Fanny could possibly be short for Francis.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 15:15 GMT (UK) »
I have decided to "have another go" at this family.

I have ordered Mary Ann Davies birth certificate but the Registrar (Genealogy) telephoned today to say that he couldn't find the one naming George as the father. In all other respects another one he found was the match (even correct birth date) but this one had no named father!

I have still requested this certificate as I am sure it's the right one.

I have done a bit of detective work and wondered if someone could find these entries for me on the 1861 Census.

Place: Wolverhampton East.

Peter Davies, Martha Davies, Martha (Jr), George, Ann, Mary and Fanny.

If this is the same family then perhaps brother George was the father! I wonder how I could find out if he did become a grocer or perhaps I am on the wrong track?

OH says that there was a mystery surrounding his grandmother so this could be it.

Judy
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 11:40 GMT (UK) »
1861 5 Gt Francis St, Duddeston cum Nechells RG9/2180 folio 27 pg 47
Peter Davis head mar 49 bricklayer b. Shropshire, Church Pulverbatch
Martha Ann wife 49 b. Northants, Yardley Gobion
Mary dau 15 b. Northants, Northampton
Ann dau 12 b. Shropshire, Shrewsbury
John son 9 b. Wolverhampton
Fanny dau 7 b. Wolverhampton
Peter James son 4 b. Birmingham

1851 Stafford St, Wolverhampton HO107/2019 folio 139 pgs 23 - 4
Peter Davies head mar 39 bricklayer journeyman b. Shrops, Wentan (? Wrentnall?)
Martha wife 36 b. Northants, Yardley Gobion
Martha dau 10 b, Northants ?
George son 8 B. Northants
Mary dau 6 b. Northampton
Ann dau 2 b. Shrewsbury

The pob for George & Martha is not clear but could be Deanshanger. However, that doesn't tie in with the possible birth regs I found for them both in Potterspury. Reasonably sure about the marriage reg
Peter Davies sept qtr 1840 Potterspury vol 15 pg 476 with Martha Ann Wise on the same page
Potterspury covers Yardley Gobion

The George Davies on the marriage cert could just be there instead of having an embarrassing blank. It doesn't mean he was her father.

:-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ospsrey

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply to my request. The information contained in the 2 census records is very useful and some of it I certainly didn't know before.

Peter was born at Wentnor just slightly north-east of Bishop's Castle, sheltering behind the Long Mynd, depending which way the wind comes! However, I have just looked at my map and found Church Pulverbatch (Wrentnall) isn't near Wentnor so I must have got it wrong! Sorry.

Deanshanger is actually a couple of miles due south of Potterspury and Yardley Gobion so that reference could be correct.

The Registrar (Genealogy) of Birmingham did say the same as you that the reference to George Davies could be just a falsehood to hide the truth.

"Suzard" on a previous post below said that in 1871 she found Ann (born Wales, NK) as a  Servant in Birmingham. Is it possible that you could give me any further details of this entry please?

It's funny that eventually Mary Ann married into the "Hawker" family many of whom were bricklayers and builders by trade too.

Thank you once again for all you have done for me so far. I attach a photo of Ann Davies for your interest.

Judy
Brown, Green - Rutland
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 15:35 GMT (UK) »
that's a lovely photo and in such good condition as well!  :D

Anyway, here's the 1871 as asked for but given that Ann Davies is a very common name, I wouldn't like to say if it's the correct one

12 Wood St, Birmingham St Thomas RG10/3100 folio 63 pg 25
Horatio Heptinstall head mar 51 file manufacturer b. Birmingham
Eliza wife 58  b. Stafford, Milwich
Eliza dau 21 b. Glos, Bristol
Joseph A brother 50 file cutter b. Birmingham
Caroline sister 52 assistant housekeeper b. Birmingham
Ann Davies 21 general servant b. Wales NK

The only birth reg in Northampton that seems to fit the daughter of Peter & Martha is
Ann Davis june qtr 1845 Northampton vol 15 pg 313

I spotted that possible baptism for Peter in Wentnor and did wonder. The IGI batch for Church Pulverbatch ends in 1812, and he may have been baptised after that. That's all you need - a Davies who gives different places of birth every census. At least it's not a common first name. If he was the one baptised in Wentnor, you might expect a William or Sarah among his children.

As for George, I haven't spotted him for certain in any census after 1851. There are a couple of possible death regs for a George Davies in Aston - sept qtr 1856 and june qtr 1859.

I can't spot the family on the 1841 census when they may be in Deanshanger.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 20:21 GMT (UK) »
This is a really interesting project. You have given me some more information to work on. Thank you once again.

I think that the 1871 census details you have given me in Birmingham are the correct ones. As stated previously I have Ann Davies's Death Card which states her age as 79 in January 1929 although that's no guarantee either!

I suppose a disadvantage of picking up part of your tree which has been left dormant  is that you are liable to forget detail previously found. I will recheck Mary Ann's marriage certificate and see if I missed something.

Strangely enough, I have never requested a Death Certificate, thinking that there's not that much useful information on them. Is this true, do you think. Oh, my mistake I did request a couple of Scottish ones but they do give much more information, don't they?

Where are you in Scotland? Anywhere near Dumfries and Galloway?

Yes, the photo is rather clear. I was surprised when I posted it how well it came up. She does look rather serious. I ought to repost it on the Photograph Restoration Board and ask how old she is. What do you think?

Judy

Brown, Green - Rutland
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 21:00 GMT (UK) »
death certs are a bit hit and miss. It could say widow of.., but the info would only be as good as the knowledge of the person registering the death. So, if it was Mary Ann registering, it might be interesting to see if she remembered what she said at her marriage and repeats George Davies, grocer. But if Mary Ann wasn't in attendance, who knows what you'll get.

Have you checked her burial to see if she's with anyone else?

No, not Galloway although I have the surname in my tree, the family was from Kinross area but very unhelpfully weren't too keen on parish registers! In Glasgow at the moment, but Welsh just to confuse.

;D

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 22:17 GMT (UK) »
I will check those additional suggestions. Thanks.

Is that why "osprey" = rugby = Swansea, or another red herring! ;)

J
Brown, Green - Rutland
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire