Author Topic: Slaters from Scotland to Ireland to Canada  (Read 1703 times)

Offline cairolyle

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Slaters from Scotland to Ireland to Canada
« on: Saturday 05 May 07 02:17 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find more information on the origins of my maternal grandmother's family (THE SLATERS) who reportedly came from Scotland PRIOR to Ireland. They lived in Ireland in the early 1800s. My g.g.g.g.grandfather was born 1826 in Ireland and died 1905 in New Brunswick, Canada.

The rumors in the family were that we came from Scotland, got kicked out to England, then got kicked out to Ireland. Religous reasons from what I understand...it never was our stronghold. It seems more reasonable that we were part of the Ulster Scots, as my decendents were farmers, until they moved from N.B., Canada to Massachusetts, USA. But what do I know?  ???

Records in Ireland state Thomas Slater, the first person on my tree (so far) was a farmer. His father, who I just learned is yet another Thomas Slater  was also a farmer. No BMD records found except Thomas Slater Sr. in the Griffith's Valuation and Ruth Ann Slater marrying James Greer.

So the Slaters I have back in the 1800s are:
Thomas Slater (dad)  no mom mentioned
Children:
Thomas (married Nancy Buchanan & had several children)
Andrew (Married Katherine Henderson & had several children)
John  (never married)
James  (Married Ann ?  and had 3 children in USA & Canada)
Ruth Ann  (married James Greer in Templemore, Londonderry 1856, had 6 children and followed brothers to New Brunswick, Canada.)

Passenger lists have Thomas Slater (the second) leaving Londonderry in 1851 to go to St. John, Canada......so the question is, where was he prior to this? Someone gave me info that it could be MUFF PARISH, DRUMSKELLAN, DONEGAL, IRELAND. There is a family of Slaters, called the SLATERS OF THE ROCK.  No other Slater families are there. Father stayed behind acording to Griffith's Valuation.  Local graveyard is Drumhaggart Cemetery. Have been trying to get info on this, but can't get in touch with anyone.

A friend in Dublin (also a Slater) came from Portknockie, Scotland, where there are many, many Slaters. Wish I could connect them, but one step at a time.  There are Buchanans just south of there in Peterhead, and Mackenzies in that area.....were also the family Thomas Slater and Nancy Buchanan were staying with in Canada (before they were married, they were working there in the household as servant and laborer).  So, the Slaters, Buchanans, Mackenzies, oh, my!

Any thoughts on how to continue the search would be much appreciated. Started this journey in 2004 when my grandmother passed away and promised her I would continue to research our family tree.

Thanks ahead of time from sunny Florida, USA!

Joy Lyle
g.g.g.g.granddaughter to Thomas Slater of Muff Parish, Drumskellan, Donegal, Ireland