Author Topic: Graham of Netherby  (Read 27709 times)

Offline Hutchin_Graham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Me before my hair left home.
    • View Profile
Graham of Netherby
« on: Saturday 05 May 07 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    I am researching the family of my 5 x Great Grandmother, Catherine Graham 1754-1838. She was the only daughter of Dr. Robert Graham DD, of Netherby. Any and all info would be of great help in fleshing out the bones of my ancestors.
I am already obliged to Bob Graham for some info, but I guess I'm just greedy and incredibly fascinated by my illustrious forebears.

Hope someone can help :-)

Bye for now,
                    HG

Grahams of Netherby Hall: Garforths of Steeton Hall: Ellis of Bingley, Keighley,Bolton by Bowland and Liverpool.

Offline Papamoa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Sharing is the fastest way to progress genealogy.
    • View Profile
Re: Graham of Netherby
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 June 07 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Hutchin,

Are you named after one of "Lang Wills" sons?

Is the Catherine that you are descended from the one that had brothers, Charles, James, William & Fergus? The children of Robert Graham and his wife Frances Graham, born Wath, Yorkshire, 17th May, 1731?

I have quite a lot of information on the family from Nertherby and other Graham's related to them who are scattered along the Esk and other parts of Arthuret Parish.

Regards, Bruce (in New Zealand)
Graham's of Cumberland & New Zealand
Glass's of Aberdeenshire & New Zealand

Offline Hutchin_Graham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 June 07 23:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Bruce,
              Yes I am descended from that Catherine b.1754-1838.
She married Sir Thomas Garforth of Steeton Hall, Yorkshire and had a daughter, Olivia b.1790-1847(my 4 x Great Grandmother).
I am descended from Olivia's marriage to Lister Ellis b.1778-1828

No, Hutchin is just a username that I always use on Forums. ;)
I am, in fact an Ellis.

Hutchin Graham was a Border Reiver, who is credited with being the first person to use the term "Blackmail", in describing one of his activities.

Bye for now,
                    Hutchin  ;D
Grahams of Netherby Hall: Garforths of Steeton Hall: Ellis of Bingley, Keighley,Bolton by Bowland and Liverpool.

Offline Cardamom

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 July 07 00:04 BST (UK) »
... the one that had brothers, Charles, James, William & Fergus? The children of Robert Graham and his wife Frances Graham, born Wath, Yorkshire, 17th May, 1731?

Hi Bruce, I am interested in her brother William ... I am looking for Capt William Graham of the 65th Regt of Foot whose monument is still standing in the church St. Mary on Paddington Green, London. He died 24 Nov 1792 aged 28 years, leaving his only surviving child, Robert Charles, and his widow, Lavinia Sally Anne. For several reasons I strongly suspect him to be of the Graham of Netherby. His widow is my ancestor Lavinia Sally Ann, née Harffy. Do you have more information about this couple, especially place and date of marriage? They had a daughter Lavinia Frances, born 1791.

Wish you a wonderful time in Cumbria - I went there in 2001 and loved it.

Regards, Elizabeth

Offline robbiesmum

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 July 07 11:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth
Captain William Graham's will does name Sir James Graham and the Rev Fergus Graham of Netherby as his brothers, you can find it on documentsonline:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline

William baptised at Arthuret (from the Arthuret BTs)
June 8   1764   Bapt.   GRAHAM   Willm. son of the Revd. Mr Graham of Netherby   

cheers
Bridget

Offline Cardamom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 July 07 20:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you Bridget, you helped me a lot!
  :)  :)  :)
Elizabeth, from Germany

Offline Hutchin_Graham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 July 07 22:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth,
                   if, after getting Capt. William Graham's Will, you feel the need to get his Father Rev.Robert Graham DD.'s Will (dated 1781), I already have it and If you are not very good at 18th Century Paleography, I am almost finished transcribing it and can send you the transcription via Email
I also have Robert's widow Frances Graham's Will (dated 1801) and Robert's Grandfather Sir George Graham's Will (dated 1657), if you want those transcriptions (havn't quite finished them yet). Anyway, let me know if you want them, after all we must be Cousins  ;D

Regards,
              Hutchin.

Offline Cardamom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 July 07 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Hutchin,

Thank you very much. I received and transcribed a download of Capt. Wm. Graham's will last night  ;D

I don't think we are cousins, because William Graham was not my ancestor, so neither was Robert or Frances. The story is a bit more complicated. William Graham was married to Lavinia Sally Ann (née Harffy) whom I have been trying to trace for years now. After his death she married Lt. Robert Cooper of the Royal Engineers who died in Quebec, Canada, in Jan. 1799. Their daughter Catherine Johanna Louisa Cooper was baptized in Arthuret, September 1799. In 1811 Lavinia Sally Ann married Francis Dubourdieu, also of the RE, and went with her third husband and her daughter to Germany (Stade, Hanover) where her daughter married a Hanoverian officer of old nobility and thus became my ancestor. Lavinia Sally Ann died in 1853 in Germany, aged 80, 2 years after her daughter.

This Lady has always been very mysterious ... having had three husbands, three christian names, but no maiden name, no parents ... When I began researching, she was known by the name of Dubourdieu; Rumour had it that she was a "Lady Graham"; her second husband must have been a Mr. Cooper as that was his daughter's name; and that was about all. Only recently I learnt that her will can be found in a German archive; in this her maiden name is mentioned as Harffy. I still haven't seen it as it can not be obtained on the internet. And I still do not know where and when she married Wm. Graham or where she came from.

As the young widow (born about 1772) had her daughter from the 2nd marriage baptized in Arthuret in 1799, I think that 7 years after William's death there were still (probably fairly good) relations between her and her first husband's family, the Graham of Netherby (as only now confirmed through Bridget's help  :)) For this reason I should be really glad if you could have a look at the 1801 will of Frances Graham. Every hint to William, his widow and son will be of great interest. Rev. Robert Graham's will might shed a light on Capt. Wm. Graham's situation, too.  (He must have been really well off. A thousand pounds in case of remarriage looks like an awful lot of money. So does a hundred pounds for mourning.)

Although we may not be cousins, your informations might be interesting for me, too. E-mail me at e_roeder(at)web.de. Of course, I can send you my transcription as well.

On Saturday we are leaving for our holiday in England. Although not Cumbria, this time.

Cheers
Elisabeth

Offline robbiesmum

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 July 07 12:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth
If you search in google books

http://www.google.co.uk/books

for Harffy, there is a full view book of the Adventures and Recollections of Colonel Landman.
This includes a page about the death of a Mr Cooper of the Royal Engineers, and a reference to his widows parents "Dr and Mrs Harffy of Amherstburgh in Upper Canada"
Sounds like the same lady, though i couldn't see a date mentioned, and  i don't know how accurate the Colonel's recollections were!

cheers
Bridget