Author Topic: Graham of Netherby  (Read 27806 times)

Offline Cardamom

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Graham of Netherby
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 July 07 21:30 BST (UK) »
Bingo! That's her!!!

Lavinia Sally Ann Harffy, at the age of twenty widow of Capt. William Graham, 7 years later widow of Lt. Robert Cooper, going back to Cumbria (while pregnant), most probably to see her Child, little Robert Charles Graham ... from Canada to England to Canada to England, from there to Hanover - what a life she has had  :o

The year is 1799 (p. 61 in the book). I knew from the History of the Corps of Royal Engineers that my Lt. Robert Cooper died in Quebec in Jan. 1799; and now we have an eyewitness and a friend who confirms some of my theories ... and the poor woman now has parents, and the game goes on ... puzzle pieces falling into place  :)

I have a cousin - no, not you, Hutchin   ;) - who is very ill and whose greatest joy is doing some armchair genealogy. He has been hoping to learn about Lavinia Sally Anne for years. Tomorrow I shall make him happy for a while and give him things to ponder over while we stroll through the south of England  ;D

Bridget, you made my day! Thank you for your invaluable help!

yours
Elisabeth

Offline clonagh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 June 08 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Hutchin,

I have just this night started research on a Catherine Tobin, nee Ellis, wife of Sir Thomas Tobin of liverpool who lived at Ballincollig, Cork Ireland from 1835 died 9/1/1881 and is buried nearby.

Now Catherine Tobin, according to the Dod book on peerages, was the daughter of Lister Ellis of Crofthead, Cumberland and the granddaughter of the late (1855) Thomas Baines Garforth of Steeton Hall Yorkshire. 

That Thomas Baines Garforth according to your research and others, seems to have married Catherine Graham, had a daughter Olivia who married Lister Ellis whose daughter Catherine married Thomas Tobin.  They had one son Arthur Lionel born in Ballincollig 7/8/1837. he died at war.

Catherine Tobin nee Ellis was a prolific travel writer and illustrator.  If you have anything by her sell it.  It reaches prices of £600 stg.

It would seem that you as an Ellis is descended from the same line. 

Thomas Tobin was owner / manager of the Ballincollig Royal Gunpowder mills from 1835 onwards.  I was involved in writing and publishing a history of same and thought that Catherine was a lot more educated etc and much more interesting.

Offline Hutchin_Graham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Me before my hair left home.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 June 08 13:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Clonagh,
                  thanks for the update, good hunting with your research.
If you get any interesting stuff on Lister and Olivia or their Daughter, or Olivia's parents, I would love to hear about it  ;)

Bye for now,
                    Hutchin.
Grahams of Netherby Hall: Garforths of Steeton Hall: Ellis of Bingley, Keighley,Bolton by Bowland and Liverpool.

Offline BGB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 09 September 08 23:10 BST (UK) »
Many years ago I lived in a house called Netherby and so took an interest in Sir Walter Scott's poem
= O young Lochinvar is come out of the west
Through all the wide border his steed was the best etc.

The relevance of this poem is its later reference to the Grahams of Netherby Hall!

It's a good poem.
BGB

Offline sbaily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 10 September 08 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Hutchin

I was hoping you would be able to help. I am researching my family tree and came across this discussion through google.
I have found that I am related to Rev Robert Graham.

I was hoping you would have more info on this tree.

A brief description of my tree. Catherine Graham's daughter Olivia Garforth married an Ellis and I am further down that tree.

Many Thanks

Offline Hutchin_Graham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Me before my hair left home.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 10 September 08 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    Which of the Ellises are you descended from?
I am a direct descendant of Olivia's Husband Lister Ellis.

Hutchin is just a username that I always use on Forums.
I am, in fact an Ellis. If you could supply me with an Email address,
I could send you all kinds of stuff on both the Ellises back to abt. 1650 AD, the Grahams back to about 1550 AD
and the Garforths, back to about 1400 AD
Catherine Graham is what's known as a " Gateway Ancestor". Through her tree,
you are related to Kings of Scotland,  England, Ireland, Wales, and nearly
all of the crowned heads of Europe. With an Email address, I can send you
a Gedcom of nearly 2,000 people. Chiefs of Scottish Clans, Infamous Border Reivers, thieves, murderers, all sorts.

Bye for now,
                   Hutchin
Grahams of Netherby Hall: Garforths of Steeton Hall: Ellis of Bingley, Keighley,Bolton by Bowland and Liverpool.

Offline sbaily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 11 September 08 09:10 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am descended from Lister Ellis born 1813 son of Olivia Garforth and Lister Ellis.
My email address is steab84ATyahoo.co.uk, that sounds like a lot of very interesting info there!
Would be very grateful if you could send it on

Thanks!
Moderator comment - Email amended to show AT not @ in accordance with rootschat policy

Offline Reali-Graham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Grahams of Netherby
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 05:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hutchin and everyone,

There is a story in my family that Harriet, or Harriot, Graham (b. abt. 1780 d. before 1826 at Hoare Abby, Cashel, Ireland) was the daughter of Major Graham the cadet in the family of Grahams of Netherby Hall who must have moved to Ireland(Convamore Castle).

Cork Examiner, Monday Evening, November 26, 1855, page 3:
 On the 19th inst, at Hoare Abbey, near Cashel, the residence of her son, in the 76th year of her age, Harriet, relict of the late Joseph Reali, Esq., of Ballyclough, Fermoy, and daughter of the late Major James Graham, formerly of Kilmore, in this county.
That Index of marriage license bonds for Cork and Ross shows Joseph Reali married Harriott Graham in 1796.
Apparently Major Graham was the youngest son of Sir Graham of Netherby Hall in Cumberland, England. Major Graham of Convamore Castle, Co Cork, was a cadet of the Netherby Grahams.
Can anyone verify this information and/or add to it? I am hoping to be able to find the link to Sir Graham and who exactly he was.

Offline Graham-Reali

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 19 September 09 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Reali-Graham,

Harriet ( of the  Cork Examiner death notice)was my Gt-Gt-Gt-Grandmother. I have copies of notes that contain some of the details re Convamore Castle etc. that you mention. This may be a circular thread as for all I know the info came from you originally!! I am definitely descended from Harriet though. Would love to chat with you further.  I have a copy of Joseph Reali's will which has some intriguing references to an amount of money loaned by Honourable Somebody - can't quite decipher. So maybe we can clear some things up.
Reali Graham