Author Topic: Alexander Thomson  (Read 10412 times)

Offline Jeans Girl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Alexander Thomson
« on: Sunday 06 May 07 08:21 BST (UK) »
Is there someone who can do a lookup for me please.?

Iam looking for Alexander Thomson who was b 1814 in Falkirk  and Married Margaret Graham 20th Nov 1840 in Falkirk.

Would like to know who their parents were if at all possible.

Have looked at scotlands people to no avail also IGI gives me what I have .
i have possible parents of Alexander as John Thomson and Margaret Hardie
but not certain.

I have tried Death certs but Have got two for Alexander both with Margaret Graham as wife.

Any help appreciated.

Margaret.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Thomson
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 May 07 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret

Just adding a link to your other post on the Clackmannanshire Board so that people don't duplicate on the searches:

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,231075.new.html#new

Just a few questions from me  ::) How have you arrived at a birth year of 1814 for Alexander and birth place? From your other post I undestand that you haven't been able to find them on the censuses.

I assume you are following up Robert b. 1842 line (?). From his MC, does it show whether his parents were alive or deceased at the time of his marriage and father Alexander's occupation?

Last question  ;) Have you looked at the OPR entry of the marriage/banns for Alexander and Margaret to check whether it includes any additional info such as fathers' names?

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jeans Girl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 May 07 02:09 BST (UK) »
I have arrived at the 1814 possible birth fron the IGI an entry by someone .

Robert Thomson is on the IGI as well b 19th Oct 1842 in Tillicoultry it is a parish record.

On Roberts Marriage cert
 Alexander Thomson  Ploughman dec
Margaret Thomson (Graham) dec.

James Hunter Stone Plasterer
 Agnes Hunter (Mitchell )dec

Robert married Elizabeth Hunter31st Dec 1869 in St Clement Dundee.

I have Just looked at the Marriage on Scotlands People for Alexander Thomson and Margaret Graham no extra information
They were married 30th Oct 1840 in Falkirk and both of this Parish.

Margaret.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 May 07 22:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret

They really are hard to find on the censuses  :-\

What was Robert's occupation on his MC? This is the closest I can see on the 1861 census - the only Robert showing with a Tillicoultry birth place, so happens mother is called Margaret:

Margaret Thomson 60, yarn winder, b. Dunblane, Perthshire
James Thomson    31, weaver, b. Blairlogie
Janet Thomson    33, Shawl Plaiter, b. Blairlogie
Peter Thomson    19, weaver, b. Tillicoultry
Robert Thomson    17, baker, Tillicoultry
Mary Thomson    15, weaver, Tillicoultry

Address:  67 High Street, Address, Tillicoultry

IGI is down at the moment, I can't check whether any of the above children show with a different father to be able to exclude this family.

Regards.

Monica  :)

Offline Jeans Girl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 May 07 02:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

I thought it was just me having trouble finding them!

Roberts occupation on marriage cert looks like Mill Greasor or something like that the last word is quite difficult to read.

Elizabeth Hunter was a Mill Worker .

I had looked at the family you have found as well but was unsure .

Regards

Margaret.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 May 07 12:25 BST (UK) »
Margaret

I'm also not 100% on the 1861 family given that the entry is the only one that shows to date and there is nothing else to verify it at present.

Have you managed to find Robert and Elizabeth on any census after their marriage in 1869 in Dundee? I can see what looks like 3 children born to them in Dundee on IGI:

1. MARGARET THOMSON  Birth: 03 APR 1871 Dundee, Angus, Scotland
2. ROBINA THOMSON  Birth: 08 OCT 1872 Dundee, Angus, Scotland
3. JAMES ALEXANDER THOMSON Birth: 1875 Dundee, Angus, Scotland/ Death: 21 DEC 1941

However, although you have a possible birth entry in 1842 in Tillicoultry for a Robert Thomson, there is nothing at present to verify that it is your Robert. You would need a census entry to verify Tillicoultry as his birth place. There is a chance that your Robert was in fact born elsewhere which may be why he is not coming up on the index search under that birth place (apart from that 1861 family). For example there is this entry in the 1871 index in Dundee:

Robert Thomson    25, mill worker, b. Ireland
Elizabeth Thomson 24, b. Aberdeen

Address: Crightons Land Hilln, St Clements Dundee

I'm not sure which line you are following up, have you managed to find that child after their birth in the censuses? Always the possibility that either parent had died prior to the 1881 Census.

Struggling to find anything of substance on the censuses  :-\

Regards.

Monica

Offline Jeans Girl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 May 07 23:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

You have the right family with the children born in Dundee.
I have there birth certs Robert is a Mill Worker on themm all.

Robina died  36th Jun 1874 in Longlands Lane Asylum Dundee.

Robert and Elizabeth were in New Zealand by 1877 when another child named Robina was born.
Robert was sometimes known as Robert H Thomson as the middle name was Hamilton.
Dont know where it comes from but it has come down thru the family.

The only census I have is for Alexander and Margaret in 1841
Sct 1841/282
Place Dundee- Angus
Dist 35
Parish Dundee
Folio 35 pg 3
Thomson  Alexander age 50 Outside Census county
Thomson Margaret age 45 Outside Census County

I am trying to follow the Thomson line but the Hunter line is just as valuable.

Have just had a look at Census index on Ancestry and
came up with these.
1861 Parish Tillicoultry ED4 Line 14
Robert  Thomson age 17 b 1844 .

Looked at the possibility of being b Ireland

1851 Census address 3 House Todsburn Close Wellgate Dundee

Alex Thomson  b  Ireland  age  37

Margaret Thomson  b  Ireland  age  45

Jane  b  Ireland  age  17

John  b  Ireland  age  15

Mary  B  Ireland  age  13

James  b  Ireland  age  7

Robert  b  Ireland  age  5

Right ages right parents names  dont know what the occupation is as it doesnt give it on Ancestry.

Regards

Margaret.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 12:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret

No wonder I couldn't find any trace of the Robert and Elizabeth in the censuses if they were off by 1877!  I'm warming up to the possibility of your Robert possibly being the Irish one  ::)

A couple of things I have found when I've been searching around over the last couple of days:

1. The entry you found on Ancestry: 1861 Parish Tillicoultry ED4 Line 14
Robert  Thomson age 17 b 1844, I think is the one I posted for the family headed up by a Margaret.

2. I think the entry you found for the Irish family in 1851 is a stronger possibility. From this site www.fdca.org.uk/howff.htm which includes Old Parish Register deaths in Dundee, I have found this entry:

Thomson Alexander/  Burial Date: 09 Jul 1851/ age 48/ place of birth: County of Armagh/ Occupation Weaver/ Cause of Death Typhus fever/ Last residence: Wellgate

This entry may well tie in with the 1851 census family. Address is in the right area as is occupation. The age I am less concerned about given Margaret's age in the 1851 entry shows as 45. Alexander's may have been misindexed.

If this is the right Alexander, then you are in luck as it shows where in Ireland the family may have originated from (not something you would normally be able to find out).

3. If we have the right family, it would look like they came over to Dundee from Ireland after the birth of Robert. You have found them in the 1851 index. I think this then ties in with the entry for a Robert and Elizabeth in 1871. It would be good to find them (at least Robert) in the 1861....

4. What were the death years for the two Margaret Graham/Thomson that you have found to date and where were the deaths?

There's a couple of possibilities for Elizabeth Hunter in the earlier censuses which I will post separately.

Regards.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 14:18 BST (UK) »
In respect of Elizabeth Hunter, again if we have the right couple in 1871, this Elizabeth's birth place shows as Aberdeen.

There's only one OPR marriage showing for a couple with her parents' names (but as you know this is never 100% certain as so many went unregistered or the OPRs may have been lost over the years), so happens this is in Aberdeen:

18/06/1841   HUNTER   JAMES   AGNES MITCHELL/   M   Old Machar   ABERDEEN CITY/ABERDEEN   168/B00 0170 0268

There is only one death showing on SP for an Agnes Mitchell/Hunter that would fit in age to be Elizabeth's mother. This Agnes died in 1866 (which could fit with the info on Elizabeth's MC that shows mother as deceased) age 44. Unfortunately, she shows as married to [Blank] Hunter, [Blank] for his occupation. This Agnes died in the City Poorhouse so the death was registered by the Governor, so no more clues there. Her parents - George Mitchell and Mary Bow.

1866   HUNTER   AGNES       MITCHELL  44   ST NICHOLAS   ABERDEEN CITY/ABERDEEN   168/01 1022

As with the Thomsons, this family is also not easy to find on the early censuses  :'(. If we have the right marriage for Agnes and James, they just missed the 1841 census, so that leaves only the 1851/61 to try and find the links.

Regards.

Monica  :)