Author Topic: Alexander Thomson  (Read 10416 times)

Offline Jeans Girl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Thomson
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 23:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica ,

Many thanks for all the info it is much appreciated.
The two deaths i have for Margaret Thomson ( Graham ) are

3rd May 1873 Parish Of Tillicoultry she was aged 73
her address given as Moss Road Tillicoultry. Parents William Graham Isabella Mitchell.

3rd May 1869 District of St Clement  her address is given as 184 Hiltown Dundee. Parents James Graham no mothers name.

There is only one question regarding the Thomson family coming from Ireland Why have I got Robert Hamilton Thomson being born in Tillicoultry 19th Oct 1842 with the correct parents?

In relation to Elizabeth Hunter I think you have found the right ones many thanks for that.

Regards

Margaret

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 10 May 07 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret

The two death certs that you have found, were there any occupations showing for either Alexander T? The first in Tillicoultry is probably the Margaret who shows in the 1861 family that we found with a Robert age 17, a baker. This death is also after Robert and Elizabeth's marriage at the end of 1869 where Robert's mother Margaret already shows as deceased.

Not sure whether the second Margaret is the same as we found in the Irish family in 1851. Her age in 1851 is showing as 45. The DC in 1869 has that Margaret as age 54 (if I found the right one on the index)....however,  the address at death, 184 Hilltown is pretty close to Robert's address in his 1869 MC which shows as 194 Hilltown! You also have the two witnesses, William Graham and Margaret Thomson. Hard to say how they connect although they are both family surnames.

The BIG problem that we are having here is being unable to trace any family group through the BMDs and censuses. Whilst we may have found one possible group in one census, they then 'disappear' from subsequent censuses making it difficult to verify ages etc.

On Elizabeth Hunter, if we do have the right entry for her and Robert in 1871, then his birth place is showing as Irish  :-\ It may just be a co-incidence on names that an entry shows on IGI for the 1842 birth in Tillicoultry. Robert's age on his MC in 1869 is 23 which then fits the age on the 1871 census entry of 25. This would then give him a birth yr of c. 1846.

Margaret, we are going round and round on this one. I've spent a long time on the census indexes and other than what we have found to date, there's not much more that is connecting at the moment sadly.

Have you managed to find Robert and Elizabeth's DCs in NZ (not sure how much info they contain)? Also, you have a date for their crossing of 1877. Was there any specific info on the manifest as to where they were born?

Regards.

Monica

PS Elizabeth's father James is showing as a Stone Polisher on the 1869 MC. This occupation, like many, will probably have different translations in the censuses etc. Given that he is the only one showing as alive at the time of Elizabeth's marriage, you might want to check on the censuses indexes to see whether you can find him post 1869 (oh I've tried  :'()

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jeans Girl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 11 May 07 02:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

You certainly have done the yards on this one for which I am extremely thankful.

Both the death certs for Margaret Garaham  have Alexander as a Labourer.

The Margaret Thomson witness on the marriage cert is most likly Roberts sister Margaret although the IGI gives her as being born in Perth 1823?

He had a sister Elizabeth Graham Thomson as well she was b in Falkirk 1843.

I have ordered Roberts death cert I have the death cert foe Elizabeth which gives
Parents James Hunter   Agnes Mitchell he was a slater

She was born in Aberdeen and lived in New Zealand for 50Yrs
She died in 1926 age 79

Married Dundee Scotland at age 22 to Robert Hamilton Thomson.

I will search the Census again just in case!

regards
Margaret.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 11 May 07 13:51 BST (UK) »
Did Robert show 'Hamilton' in later years in NZ - it didn't show on his MC. Fingers crossed that his DC provides further clues.

I'm happy to hear that Elizabeth's details confirm an Aberdeen birth place, first proper verification!

Apart from Robina's birth in NZ (named after first Robina), do you have the names of their other children born in NZ. This might help trying to verify some other family names, such as grandparents.

Regards.

Monica

Offline Jeans Girl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 11 May 07 22:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,
I found James Hunter with Agnes in the  Poor house Dundee in 1861, and James Hunter in 1871 .

The other siblings for robert are
John Thomson
Robert Hamilton Thomson
Elizabeth Thomson
David William Thomson.

On all the school entries for the Children he used Robert H Thomson.

Regards
Margaret

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 11 May 07 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret

For a change we are on line at the same time  ;) I did see the 1861 entry today and wondered whether  both James and Agnes's ages has mistranscribed (60 and 30). The DC I found for an Agnes Mitchell/Hunter was in the Aberdeen City Poor house in 1866 with that Agnes's age showing as 44. This ties up with her 1822 IGI birth entry to the parents showing on her DC.

Where was the James Hunter 1871 Census entry?

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 11 May 07 23:04 BST (UK) »
The James Hunter in the Dundee City Poor House died in 1874 and shows as single  :'(

Offline Jeans Girl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 12 May 07 05:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

James Hunter was at the Dundee poorhouse in 1871 occupation formerly flaxdresser This is the same place as theyy were both at in 1861. It was where born that made me look  he was born in Old Machar abt 1801.

regards

Margaret.

Offline Jeans Girl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 12 May 07 05:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

James Hunter was at the Dundee poorhouse in 1871 occupation formerly flaxdresser This is the same place as theyy were both at in 1861. It was where born that made me look  he was born in Old Machar abt 1801.

regards

Margaret.

Ps Have just read your last post  which makes this irrelevant.

Also found a Elizabeth Hunter as a Border in 1861. She was b Old Machar and the age is about right.
address 88 green  occupation wool spinner.

Registration No 168A
Parish St nicholas Aberdeen 
ED 37
Household 207
Roll CSSCT1861-25
she is with
Alexander Hunter  60
Ann Hunter 55
George Hunter 13

Regards
Margaret.