Author Topic: Screeton/ Screaton/Scraton Willoughby on the Wolds Nottingham  (Read 6140 times)

Offline judi2632

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Screeton/ Screaton/Scraton Willoughby on the Wolds Nottingham
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 July 15 13:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Thornwood

Many Thanks for the reply.
The Screeton line are my direct paternal line and I have managed to research them back through the generations in quite some detail.(mainly thanks to the unusual surname). and joining force's with many cousins around the world.
I have extensive files of newspaper articles and archives attached to the family, that make great reading. The Gregory line are 4th cousins and we have been in touch over the years and swapped many stories and old photographs. Its great when we can all share information on our direct lines.

The stories About Eliza Screaton nee Briggs and the Nags Head have made me smile many a time. also how she managed to have 3 Screaton children after the death of her husband Richard also makes me smile. ( Quite a character)

Kind regards Judi

Gaskell, Ormskirk, Upholland, Pemberton, Lancashire
Screeton/Screaton, Nottingham
Lomax Suffolk, Lancashire
Ghilks, Mansfield
Jones, Wales
Banham, Norwich
Rothwell, Lancashire
Tinks, Suffolk
Shepherd, Lancashire

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Thornwood

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 July 15 13:52 BST (UK) »
Good to hear from you. If you know anything about my Robert Screaton either before or after he came to a Wigston I would love to know. I have found out names of parents, siblings and children but do not know why he moved to Wigston. He was a teacher but I have not found his name in any of the school records, they only seem to record the headteacher. The National school in  Wigston opened in 1846 so maybe that was the reason but again no records of Robert teaching there. Would the school in Willoughby have any school records from that time. Robert was also the registrar and it was interesting to note when viewing my great grandfather's birth certificate that Robert registered the birth of the boy who was later to become his son in law. Don 't suppose you have any photos of this Screaton line do you?
Good to chat,   Thornwood

Offline judi2632

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 25 July 15 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Thornwood

Sadly having just looked , I have no photo's on this line. If by chance any come into my hands I will gladly pass them on to you.

Only newspaper cutting I can see is this in the Leicester Daily Mercury 25 January 1879

"To be let at Wigston a good seven roomed HOUSE, with Cart Gateway and Workshop over same; capital Stable and Garden, situate in Victoria- Leicester road.—Apply, ROBERT SCREATON, Wigston; or to William BRAY, Builder, Martin-street, Leicester".

Sorry not to have been able to help out with any photo's

Kind Regards Judi
Ghilks, Mansfield
Jones, Wales
Banham, Norwich
Rothwell, Lancashire
Tinks, Suffolk
Shepherd, Lancashire

Offline SColin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 27 July 15 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hi
Just thought I would include an extract from my research. You probably know this allready.

Robert and Eliza Smith(D1)

Robert did not follow the family trade but instead became a schoolteacher and is described as such in the 1832 Whites trade directory for Willoughby. Robert married Eliza Smith in Gedling on the 15th November 1837. Their first child Mary was born in Carlton and baptised two days after their marriage in Gedling. I assume that Robert had moved to Carlton to a teaching post.

Their second daughter Elizabeth was baptised on the 19th April 1839 in Willoughby. It is not clear if the family had left Gedling at this time, for Robert does not appear in the 1841 census for Willoughby, but both his wife Eliza and daughter do, living with his widowed mother Rebecca. Their first son Robert Smith Screaton was baptised in Willoughby on 2nd January 1842. His other children, Rebecca, John, Ann, Emma Louise and Ellen Elizabeth were all born at Wigston Magna, Leicestershire.He took up the post of Master of the National School there before 1846. In 1877 he was described in the trade directories as a land surveyor, rent collector and registrar of births, deaths and marriages living in Bell St. Wigston. Robert died in 1886.

Offline Thornwood

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 27 July 15 12:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all that SColin. You have cleared up a mystery for me. I had wondered who all the Elizabeths were on the 1841 census living with Rebecca. I knew one was Robert's sister who moved to Wigston later that year to marry John Pawley but I had not thought the other two were Robert's wife and child. I had assumed that they were with Robert even though I have not found him on that census.
Thanks for info on the schools.
Thornwood.

Offline judi2632

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 July 15 13:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

Great to see some additional information on the Screaton Family, SColins thanks for the information with regards to Robert and the "National School".

SColin How are you connected to the Screaton Line? ..I connect through William Thomas Screeton born 11.Apr.1893 in Nottingham, Nottingham, England. I have a few interesting tales about him.

Judi
Ghilks, Mansfield
Jones, Wales
Banham, Norwich
Rothwell, Lancashire
Tinks, Suffolk
Shepherd, Lancashire