Author Topic: Short Bros & Harland 1949/1960  (Read 12996 times)

Offline NOSE TURRET

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Short Bros & Harland 1949/1960
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 16 February 12 05:36 GMT (UK) »
HI FOLKS - CAN'T RECALL THAT NAME JIM McLEAN - I SERVED APPRENTISHIP FROM 1952 TO 59 - ON VARIOUS AIRCRAFT INC. SUNDERLAND FLYING BOATS / BRITTANIAS ETC. - CAN I ASSIST OTHERWISE ? - HAVE PLENTY OF GOOD SHOTS - WAS LOOKING FOR PLAN OF THE PLANT AS I THINK BOMBARDIER HAVE SOLD IT FOR DELMOLITION - WHAT A GREAT SHAME - THANX J.C. IN SYDNEY - AUSTRALIA

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Steve146

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 07 February 13 12:42 GMT (UK) »
To Wendl - I have a copy of The Short Story - No 5 which covers the speech given to employees about the move to Belfast. My father Edgar 'Robbie' Robson worked in the Drawing Office and we lived in a Shorts house in Holywood.
I have scanned the booklet so can email.
I am involved with a few aviation groups between Bournemouth and Southampton and am working up a 50min talk entitled 'A Short Story - Long History'

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Wendl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Shaking the Irish Family Tree from Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 07 February 13 14:38 GMT (UK) »
To Wendl - I have a copy of The Short Story - No 5 which covers the speech given to employees about the move to Belfast. My father Edgar 'Robbie' Robson worked in the Drawing Office and we lived in a Shorts house in Holywood.
I have scanned the booklet so can email.
I am involved with a few aviation groups between Bournemouth and Southampton and am working up a 50min talk entitled 'A Short Story - Long History'

Hi Steve,

That would be wonderful....unfortunately until you have posted 3 times, you cannot access private messages so I can send you my email address.....I look forward to hearing from you, and appreciate your reply.

All the best
Wendy
Barrie/Barry-Forfar
Broun/Brown-Kirriemuir, Forfar, Angus
Carr-Belfast
Close -Belfast, Antrim and Down, Mageraghall; Ontario, Canada 
Crowe- Belfast
Gardiner/Gardner-Belfast, Scotland
Hennion- USA
Hedley- Belfast
Lawlor-Belfast, Down: Ontario, Canada
McPherson-Esquising, Ontario
McKernan-Australia
Ramsay-Kirriemuir,Scotland
Thompson-Derry; Ontario-Canada
Walker- Kirriemuir,Forfar,Dundee Scotland
Wilkinson-Belfast

Offline Steve146

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 07 February 13 14:54 GMT (UK) »
OK - can you access my email or should I post it here?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 07 February 13 14:56 GMT (UK) »
No, members can't see other member's email addresses and you are not allowed to post personal details.

If you make 1 more post you will be able to use PM (Personal Message) system-
http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Please do NOT ask for lookups by Personal Message.

Offline Steve146

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 07 February 13 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Just checking so I can make no 3

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 04 October 13 23:26 BST (UK) »

I have just found this thread and I see it was posted some years ago .Can anyone tell me if these Shorts are my relatives who were the aviation family from Northumberland.   
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline David J Smith

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 21 March 14 17:27 GMT (UK) »
I was a Short Bros. apprentice @ Seaplane works, Rochester from July '45 - Jan '47. They were moving all production to Belfast & works about to close, so we were told to find somewhere else to continue our apprenticeship. I had always been very interested in a/craft ( my uncle had been chauffeur/ mechanic to the Short Bros. @ Leysdown & currently a mechanic @ Rochester airport, so I think that's where the interest started) so I joined the RAF as a Halton app.( went from airframes to aero engines!). Didn't know anyone at Belfast, so can't help you but I do have a couple of Short Story's still. I was going to send them to the RAeS library as they have a few but didn't get around to it! Did take my tools to Rochester museum for WHEN! they get to having a Shorts section- sadly nothing at present. Would like to visit Belfast but is it all shipping there? & is there anyone to contact if I did go please?  Dave55th Smith

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 21 March 14 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello David ,
First of all may I welcome you to Rootschat
there are people who are willing to help you
on any family subject you are looking for

William Short b 1803 was my 3rd Grt Grandfather
His sons were the Short brothers .They had one sister Jane and I come down that line
I'd be most welcome for any information you can give me
At the moment I cannot contact you by PM until you make 2 more postings
If you could do that I will be able to contact you better
Good Luck
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth