Author Topic: Short Bros & Harland 1949/1960  (Read 15946 times)

Offline Brosie

• RootsChat Member
  • it's the roots that make the branches sparkle.
    • View Profile
Re: Short Bros & Harland 1949/1960
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 23 March 14 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Wife's late father played ice hockey for (Shorts Raiders) around about 1945, have a photo of the team.
           regards Brosie.
BOYD. BRODIE. CLOSS. Morrison. Kennedy. ROBERTSON. AYRSHIRE.  GEORGE. PATTON. STEWART. ALEXANDER. CARSON. HALL. BOYD. NORTHERN IRELAND. KIE BLACKSTOCK WIGTOWNSHIRE.

Online aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 23 March 14 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Was Shorts Rosie a team to do with Shorts Aviation Brother
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline Brosie

• RootsChat Member
  • it's the roots that make the branches sparkle.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 24 March 14 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Certainly was, he worked for Shorts he was a mechanic to trade and played in goal for the hockey team, there was a few Canadians in the hockey team. He mentioned assembling planes in Belfast near to the Sydenham by pass, I take it that must be near where George Best airport is now. There was always a mention about the Americans and how he was never short of petrol for his motorbike (war rationing) Not much technical data I'm afraid just an old boys fond memories. Many years ago I flew out to the British Virgin islands in a Belfast made by shorts, one comfortable military plane,  if I remember correctly the fly boys (R.A.F)  called it the slug. After that it was the Hercules c130 for us.
            regards Brosie.     
BOYD. BRODIE. CLOSS. Morrison. Kennedy. ROBERTSON. AYRSHIRE.  GEORGE. PATTON. STEWART. ALEXANDER. CARSON. HALL. BOYD. NORTHERN IRELAND. KIE BLACKSTOCK WIGTOWNSHIRE.

Offline Wiseman48

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Labouring Boys -Isleworth
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 30 September 15 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan
Have noted from a very old posting, dating back to 2007, that you were enquiring about the Labouring Boys pub in Isleworth, London.
Might be able to help. What is your interest?

Wiseman48

Offline therave

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 18 January 18 06:36 GMT (UK) »
My mother's first job was in the Kings's Hall, working for Shorts and Harland. That would have been about 1941, so may be too early for you.  Think she wasn't there very long before she got a job at Stormont.  Her name was Maureen Sheils at that time.