Author Topic: Moor Hall, Cookham  (Read 15329 times)

Offline snoulton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Moor Hall, Cookham
« on: Monday 14 May 07 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hello, my Grandparents worked at Moor Hall Cookham during the 1920's. Does anyone on the list know who were the owners of Moor Hall at that time?

Fingers crossed.....Brenda

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MOOR HALL, COOKHAM
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 May 07 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Brenda
Have a look at this site.
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=43192
It seems that in 1923 it was the property of Mr. F. D. Lambert, J.P

Barbara
Joy, Larkin, Twort, Baker, Whibley - Brenchley and Horsmonden area Kent
Fewell and Speller - Essex and London
Headington and Bateman - London
Feltwell - Norfolk and London
Lewin - India and NZ
Evan-Thomas - Wales and London
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 May 07 21:27 BST (UK) »
It is now the Chartered Institute of Marketing.

It was built in 1805 William Skinner, a London merchant.  After his death it was leased by a Stephen Darby.  He ran it as a brewery!  The building was extended in 1889, the chimneys being designed by Francis Devereaux Lambert.  According to the information I have, it was sold in 1919 to Captain Fodel-Phillips.  It was taken over by Odeon Theatres in 1940 and after WWII, cartoons were made there until the Institute of Marketing took it over in 1971.

Now also a wedding venue.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 May 07 22:46 BST (UK) »
In the late 1960s it was a training school used by ICT and later ICL. 

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline snoulton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 May 07 19:26 BST (UK) »
My very grateful thanks for all the replies to my query regarding Moor Hall, Cookham, it's added flesh to the bones, so to speak.

Kind regards, Brenda

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 May 07 12:31 BST (UK) »
Hello snoulton,

I have also been researching Moor hall as my Great x 3 Grandfather worked there as a carpenter.   He was born in 1796 and in the 1851 census was living and working at Moor Hall as were several other families.  The info I have is as follows:

It was built in 1805 by William Skinner and was a Regency house which was to grow into a Victorian stately home.  William moved in in the Autumn of 1805 and enjoyed nine years there until his death in 1814.  His son rented it out to the Darby family who raised their family there and then moved out in 1836 after selling their malting and brewing business.

In 1833 ownership passed to Captain Augustus Charles Skinner a young man who preferred not to live there.  He rented out the house and grounds to support his lifestyle. 

In 1840 the tenancy was taken by Joseph Hobbs and his family, he stayed there for 23 years occupying the property as his home farm from which he ran three other local farms in Cookham Rise and Cookham Dean, totaling over 300 acres. 

James Harding ( my relation) and his family were living there (1851) and two of his sons have occupations as farm labourers and I imagine James was a sort of farm carpenter and the sons worked on one of the farms.

I've now reread your message and see that you are interested in the 1920's!  I was so pleased to see something that I could possibly help with that I got stuck in!!  Having had so much help from this site with my problems.

The Hall was bought by Francis Devereux Lambert in 1888 (who was known as King Coal Lambert having amassed a fortune in coal-brokering) and was restored and extended into a very grand luxury house.  There were numerous house staff, four grooms, four full time gardeners and it became necessary to add a gate lodge, storerooms, carpenters shop, engine and boiler houses etc. etc. and staff accomodation.  Even extensive hothouses, a melon house, a tomato house, a carnation house! a cyclamen house and a fernery.  It must have been quite a house until.....
Lambert did not have children and his wife died just as the house was nearing completion and probably his happiest time was when the Hall became
 the Lambert Convalescent Home for wounded soldiers in 1914 and so I imagine your ancestors could have been employed in many occupations from garden boy to housekeeper to matron.  I think you have many choices!

Ownership for your period of interest
1917 1920  Lord Astor (landowner)
1923 1927  Mrs Barnard (widow)
1928 1933 Mrs Blundell-Maynard (widow)

This information comes from a booklet written by Richard Parkes.
I hope it will be useful to you,
Regards, Abiam

Offline snoulton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 May 07 20:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Abiam, thank you so much for all that information, my grandfather was the chauffeur there, and lived in the gatehouse, I have a photo of him and my grandmother standing outside, my father has written 'Our Cottage at Cookham' I have had to guess when the photo was taken and I think it would have been about the 1920's so I have a choice of employers it seems.

My kind regards, Brenda

Offline Juliefrances

• RootsChat Extra
  • The West Family, Marlow
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 August 07 16:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just a note I worked at Moor Hall in the 70's and 80's - a really lovely house - shame I worked in converted stable block!!!.

Julie

Berkshire - Warwick, Cox, Knight, Hicks, Randall, Ranscombe<br />Buckinghamshire - West, Thatcher, Stroud, Light, Hiscock<br />Hampshire - Light, Hiscock

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 August 07 19:31 BST (UK) »
Recently discovered that my father in law worked there as a cameraman just after WW2.

I
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)