Author Topic: Great War names for Sudbury Suffolk  (Read 5468 times)

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
Great War names for Sudbury Suffolk
« on: Tuesday 15 May 07 12:13 BST (UK) »
I have been asked to post this in the Armed Forces Resources (it is already posted in Suffolk Resources).

In Suffolk many of us are or have been, researching the names on the village War Memorials (I have recently had a great deal of help from the Canada Board in my own research for our village).

Go to

http://www.sudburysuffolk.co.uk/greatwar/

After several years thoroughly researching the names on the Sudbury Memorials, Shirley Smith (assisted by Val Herbert) have put their findings on a web site.

Well worth a look 

SM ...
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Great War names for Sudbury Suffolk
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 December 07 06:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi , i think you helped me with my first request . i do think you are right about Ballingdon grove being my relative Jones house . I also appear to have the correct house in Woodhall as the a2a has a William  Brasier Jones owning it in a will in 1860.
the trustees in a2a are citing deeds from 23..10..1778.
 What i want to find is My Major Charles Jones b. 1783 . and place him in these houses .
 Ballingdon grove and also the Crofts belonged to his father . Have you any idea of this family and its history in the area . thanks for any help
Jan. ;D ;D
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline jallen20_1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 April 13 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Jan, I note your post was some time ago, so not sure if my input is still relevant to you.
You mention your relative Jones, living at Ballingdon Grove 1860. However I can confirm my Family lived at the Grove from late 1700's at least until 1911 when the last record I have of Elliston Allen living there until he died. They owned the Brick works and Malting's at the Grove, their time there is quite well documented. It may be that your relatives lived at one of the surrounding buildings, ie Grove cottage, or maybe Ballingdon Hall. I'll look out for records of Jones in the area and let you know if I stumble onto anything.
Jon Allen

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Great War names for Sudbury Suffolk.. Charles Jones 15th Hussars The Grove.
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 April 13 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hi That is a very interesting history and of course I stand corrected. I have a diary except from Ernest Jones and he says his relatives live in the 'Grove "with links to Woodhall and estates and homes around Clare Suffolk. In my research i had been pointed towards your family seat . i can see you are right tho. I will go back to my notes and start again .lol. I am looking for Captain Charles Jones of the ! 15th Hussars born in London on 7th DEC 1783. BUt he is my brickwall... Any help would be appreciated . i think he is connected to William brasier Jones of woodhall. sudbury . Suffolk. bye Fred
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 April 13 23:44 BST (UK) »
There were/are two 'The Grove's' on either side of the town of Sudbury.
Certainly Ballingdon Grove and also Chilton Grove, which is closer to Wood Hall.

Pat ...
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?