Author Topic: Desperately seeking Jethro Dobson!  (Read 2800 times)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Desperately seeking Jethro Dobson!
« on: Tuesday 15 May 07 23:03 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

Looking for:
  • Jethro DOBSON born abt 1736, probably in Berkshire, Clewer/Windsor area.
  • Married Martha METIN/MARTIN 1758 in Burnham, Bucks (from the Parish Register of Burnham, page 12 in the register.  Banns Read Aug 13, 20, 27 1758.  Married in the presence of Richard RIDER and Edward HONSMAN.  Jethro could sign his name but Martha could not )
  • Died 1822 aged 86, buried St John the Baptist, New Windsor. (from National Burial Index)

I have been unable to find Jethro's christening/birth in any of the sources immediately available to me, and wondered whether anyone else had easy access to other sources and could take a quick look for me please.

There are several generations of Jethros in the Dobson side of my husbands tree, and this fellow is currently at the top.  I have not found his christening and have no idea who his parents might be.  I have looked in the IGI and all the databases on Family History Online website  (www.familyhistoryonline.net).

There do seem to be several families of Dobsons in the WIndsor area across the 18th/19th centuries, but I've been unable to connect this Jethro with any of them. 

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Thank you in advance
Prue

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: Desperately seeking Jethro Dobson!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 May 07 15:04 BST (UK) »
Prue,

Unfortunately, there are no Dobson baptisms in Clewer before Jethro & Martha's family. You're probably already aware that a couple of the entries for their children's baptisms refer to Jethro as Jeffery so, if you haven't already, it might be a good idea to extend your search to Jethros and Jefferys!!

I can't help with Windsor - I'm afraid. I wish I could get my hands on the Windsor PRs but they're not on the IGI and I reckon it would take a request for someone actually going to the Records Office to do a look up for you.

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 May 07 21:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jill, that at least rules out Clewer so I can stop wondering about that.  That narrows the search down to Windsor, but I suppose in reality Jethro could have come from anywhere!   :-\   I will be in the UK myself in November (I hope!) so if I can convince husband that we need a day trip to Windsor  ;D I will go and have a look in the record office.

Yes, I did notice the Jethro/Jeffrey thing, but it hasn't helped me find him unfortunately!

Thank you very much for your help  :)

Prue

Offline GeneShunter

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 October 17 11:21 BST (UK) »
Prue

The records for Windsor are held in the Berkshire Record Office which is in Castle Hill, Reading not Windsor. I will be going there in November and will have a look in case your trip does not materialize

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 October 17 11:28 BST (UK) »

This original post is 10 years old

Kim