Author Topic: My Aberdeenshire names  (Read 17055 times)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
My Aberdeenshire names
« on: Saturday 04 December 04 16:32 GMT (UK) »
I am researching: Howe ( Aberdeen), Raitt (Belhelvie/ Old Machar), Milne (Lonmay/ Rathen/ Aberdeen), Daniel( Cruden), Hay (Cruden), Birnie ( Strichen), Crichton (Methlick), Alexander (Cruden/ Peterhead) Robertson (Cruden) Jaffrey ( Belhelvie)

Also: Shaw, Forsyth, Smith, Duncan, McBeath ( all from Nairnshire/ Morayshire

Would love to hear from anyone with links to any of these families.

Jen
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline Dhayedgar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: My Aberdeenshire names (Hay)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 December 04 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen,
I also have links to the Hay family from Cruden, in the 1881 census for Cruden
I have a large family of Hay's living in Whinnyfold, Cruden. Also in the 1891 census for Cruden I have my G. Grandfather James Hay and his wife Mary Ann Hay (summers) living at 121 Pleasant Cottage. If any of these are linked to your names
I would be interested in hearing from you.

Merry Christmas

Don
Armour,Allan,Edgar,Mcgregor,Stevenson, Renfrew, Scotland
Peace, Orkney, Edinburgh, Scotland

Offline Union Jack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: My Aberdeenshire names
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 December 04 19:31 GMT (UK) »
I've been researching my Aberdeenshire Forsyth's for years and note that the name is one of your interests.  Even if we're not related, I have a few Forsyth resources for the area, such as census, old civil reg, monunent inscriptions, etc.

My gggrandfather James b.1850, (son of Robert Forsyth b. 1816 & Margaret Anderson) emigrated to England c1875 from where his son Thomas b. 1886 emmigrated to Canada c. 1911.

Robert's parents were James Forsyth b. 1785 & Helen McConochie & his grandparents were William Forsyth b. 17?? & Ann McPherson.

Parish residences include Rhynie & Essie, Tyrie, Longside, Udny & Kincardine O'Neal.

In any case, provide me with some ancestor's first names & b. dates & I'll check my files for connections as they contain hundreds of siblings, cousins & unrelated Forsyths.

Jack :)
Forsyth, McPherson, McConnachie, Anderson (Aberdeenshire), Collier, Garraty, Noquet (London), Brown (Hertford)

Offline shelagh2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 February 05 16:30 GMT (UK) »
I also have Forsyth ancestors but they seem to be in the Ellon area

Please let me know if you think there is any connection and if you want more info.

Aberdeenshire and Banff - Benzie, Walker, Forsyth, McIntosh. Lancashire Chippendale, Parr, Houghton

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LindsayG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 February 05 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen,

I have Jaffreys and one Raitts (so far!) in my family tree.  I have Mary Raitt married to Robert Russell in Aberdeen - no date but they had a daughter in 1827.

As for the Jaffreys, mine are from Leochel Cushnie (Aberdeenshire), not Belhelvie but there might be a connection somewhere along the line.  I have Jaffreys going back to 1738.

Lindsay
Gallagher/Maloney/Sweeney/Henne - Donegal
Duncan/McCormack/Ogg/Pitkethly/Williamson/Ireland/Leuchars - Angus
Smith/Innes/Coull/McRobb/McDonald/Dalgety/Cadenhead/Davidson/Mathieson/Bonner/Mackie/Saunders/Russel/Rait/Shand/Scott/Jaffrey/Leslie/Black/Skene/Shewan - Aberdeen(shire)
Clark/Duncan/Ferrier/Cooper/Martin - Angus & Kincardine

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 February 05 23:28 GMT (UK) »
I don't have a Mary Raitt married to Robert Russell - at least not yet. Looking at the dates, she may have been the sister of my 4th great grandfather, William Raitt. I'll have a hunt and see if I can find anything about her.

Margaret Jaffrey, married to James Martin, 1778, Belhelvie, was a 5th great grandmother. That's all I know about her so if you have anything which may help, please get in touch.

Cheers,

Jen

SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson

Offline LesleyJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 February 05 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen I have some information on  a Milne family from Rathen and I also have Birnie in Rathen as well. There might be a connection with your family, i live near Rathen and can look up local records if you are needing any help, I can visit local graveyards, I have alot of information from censuses. Just let me know if i can be of some help all the best  with your research LesleyJ
Bouncing Emails

All census are crown copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Suckling,Aslen, Barker, Bartlett, Scriven- All Middlesex

Christie, Lee, Greig, Anderson, Brown, Will, Birnie, Beddie, Fowlie, Noble,Innes,Mowat, Stephen- All Aberdeenshire

Reid, Borthwick, Cowe, Johnston, Duncan, Aitken,Hunter, Johnston and Murray, East Lothian and Midlothian

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 February 05 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have had huge difficulties with my Milne line. My 3 x great grandfather was Joseph Milne, who was the son of John Milne and Christian Mitchel. He was born in 1815 in Lonmay and married Jean Birnie , in 1840 in Rathen. Jean Birnie was the daughter of John Birnie and Barbara Walker and was born 1823 in Strichen. By the time of the 1841 census, Jean Birnie, using her maiden name, was living with Joseph Milne's parents and her infant son, also Joseph. Of Joseph senior there was no sign. By 1851, Jean is remarried to Samuel Farquhar and has several more offspring. I have tried, without success, to find any details of Joseph Milne's death or burial.

If you could help to solve this problem by looking at parish records, I should be hugely grateful.
In the 1841 census, the Milnes and Jean Birnie were at Cairnglass/ Cairness ( not sure which it is)Lonmay.

Thanks,

Jen

Offline LesleyJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen got the MI for Lonmay, stone 228 Joseph Milne d 18/4/1838 could this be Joseph Milne you are looking for I will have to give you the rest of the details later, all the best LesleyJ
Bouncing Emails

All census are crown copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Suckling,Aslen, Barker, Bartlett, Scriven- All Middlesex

Christie, Lee, Greig, Anderson, Brown, Will, Birnie, Beddie, Fowlie, Noble,Innes,Mowat, Stephen- All Aberdeenshire

Reid, Borthwick, Cowe, Johnston, Duncan, Aitken,Hunter, Johnston and Murray, East Lothian and Midlothian