Author Topic: Liverpool Records Office? Obituary 1889  (Read 4424 times)

Offline Lizw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Liverpool Records Office? Obituary 1889
« on: Thursday 17 May 07 00:13 BST (UK) »
Kind people on Rootschat have already helped me enormously with the Thomson family...

Now I am trying to find an obituary for John Thomson a sugar refiner b abt 1812 in Scotland. He ran and was a partner in the Sankey Sugar Company then seems to have retired to Eastham a farm called Plymyard Park.
He died at Plymyard Park, 19 May 1889. I have census results for John 1861, 71 & 81placing him at the Sankey Sugar Co. but cannot find where he came from or who his parents were in Scotland.

His first wife was Jamima Stephens (b 1828 Bo'ness Scot - died in 1866) was the dau of a schoolmaster His second wife Agnes Waugh Petrie b abt 1831 in Liverpool d 1914 Wandsworth) was the niece by marriage of Sir James Young Simpson the physician who discovered chloroform. Agnes' mother also came from Bo'ness one hunch is that John Thomson also came from there(?).

John was quite a wealthy man when he died and I am hoping there will be an obituary somewhere. The Sankey Sugar Co had offices in Liverpool and Manchester as well as the main factory at Earlestown.

I would be very grateful for any help anyone can provide or advice.

Many thanks
Liz
Stephens Brunton Thomson Taylor Graham Alves Ferrie Helmore Pember Reeves Mills Prestney Bundy Young Stewart Knipe Wright Libeau Coopey Blogg Keith

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool Records Office? Obituary 1889
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 May 07 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

If it was Eastham on the Wirral - it will come under Cheshire

Have you seen this website

http://home.clara.net/mawer/loc-earles.html
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Lizw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 May 07 06:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole

Many thanks Bryan Mawers website is excellent isn't it?? It was his site which actually got me started - there are 2 photos on the web site which I was able to give him.

Good point about an obituary being a Cheshire newspaper. I thought there would probably be one in the Liverpool newspapers as Lancashire was where he spent most of his adult life and where the factory was.

many thanks Carole sometimes it's hard to see the woods for the trees.

Liz
Stephens Brunton Thomson Taylor Graham Alves Ferrie Helmore Pember Reeves Mills Prestney Bundy Young Stewart Knipe Wright Libeau Coopey Blogg Keith

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 January 08 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz

I've been following some of your posts which I've found very interesting and did a bit of research.
I looked at the 'Liverpool Echo'newspaper for 1889 when I went to Liverpool library. There was an obituary for John Thomson but unfortunately gave no details about where he was from and actually said that this would be the only mention.
Also found the announcement of his marriage to Jamima Stephens but only states that he is from Earlstown Warrington.
I took prints(which aren't too clear)which I can send to you.

I've also managed to locate his grave.The headstone says' In Memory of John Thomson of Plymyard Park  Eastham died 19th May 1889 aged 77.
Also Agnes Waugh his widow died January 4th 1914 aged 83.'
It's possible that Agnes may not actually be buried there if she died elsewhere but her name is on the headstone.

I'm happy to send you a photo if you don't already have one.

Do you know if the house called Plymyard Towers was the only house or did they live in another house in Plymyard first?

Hope this helps

Regards

Neptune

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 January 08 01:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi
You could try the Liverpool Daily Post which is the morning daily paper for Liverpool, also there was the Liverpool Mercury (I think it was called). My greatgrandfather was a long serving reporter with the Liverpool Daily post but the best obit I could find was the Mercury. Also you could try the Birkenhead News, coverage may have extended to Eastham
Andy

Offline Lizw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 January 08 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both so much!

Just when I thought I had reached a dead end with John Thomson.
It is very difficult trying to find this information from so far away so I really am very grateful for all your help.

No I don't know if John lived at any other location in the general Plymyard area first, sorry! The only information I have says that about 5 years before his death he went to live in Bormboro where he purchased an estate and built a house.

Many thanks again, our family are very grateful for your help.

regards
Liz

Offline Lizw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 January 08 19:57 GMT (UK) »
I've sent my email address via personal message to you Neptune.
many thanks
Liz

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 January 08 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz

Thanks I've received your pm. I'll scan the information in for you and send it on soon if that's ok -also the photo.
When we went over to the Liverpool library (I don't live in Liverpool but we visited the library)I asked if they held the marriage records for St Andrews Scots church but unfortunately they didn't but the librarian remembered an article a few days earlier in the Liverpool Echo. The church is still there although it is now deralict - but it is actually being renovated - not sure when it will be finished. She copied the newspaper article so I'll send that too-at least you'll have an idea of what the church looked like. It should be lovely to see when it's finished.

The reason I asked about the house is that there was also a larger house called Plimyard too(the one I saw was spelt that way). I wasn't sure whether John and Agnes only ever lived in Plymyard Towers

Andy - I did check the Birkenhead News which only had a very small obituary-haven't looked at the other Liverpool newspapers though.

Will be in touch soon Liz

Neptune.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Anne Hesketh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 July 18 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi
Does anyone know what Plymyard Towers, Bromborough was ?
Many thanks
Anne Hesketh