Author Topic: PRATER family, Latton, Wilts.  (Read 4041 times)

Offline junket

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Help appreciated (SIGHT IMPAIRMENT) with image
    • View Profile
PRATER family, Latton, Wilts.
« on: Friday 18 May 07 16:56 BST (UK) »
I am seeking information, on the family of George Prater and Jane Plott

If you are another Prater family researcher, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks

junket
Paternal line, ALL CORNISH ...
AUGER, BALL, BRAY, BROAD, COLMAN, COON, EDE, GLASSON, HICKS, INCH, LEMIN, RUNNALLS, PEARCE, PRATER, PROUT, TRUDGIAN, TREVAINS, VIVIAN, WELLINGTON, YELLAND

Offline Grizzly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: PRATER family, Latton, Wilts.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 October 07 18:24 BST (UK) »
I have the direct line of descendants of my husband's maternal Prater family from George Prater and Jane Plott from Wiltshire through Cornwall to Swansea. I'd like to hear from you too !

Grizzly

South Yorkshire:
Johnson
Birkinshaw ( and variant spellings)
White
Clarke  (and Ashton Northants)
Taylor   (and Darleston, Staffs)
Foster  (and Darleston)
Bailey
Boyd
Outram
Jagger

Offline Steph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 January 08 21:50 GMT (UK) »
I share the same lineage, if you go back to the parents of George - John Prater and Elene Kingston you will start to find interesting links.  There is a lot of info on a web site by a Gary Prather but I know you have to be careful so I've cross-checked on the familysearch IGI and on rootsweb and in some instances, specific historical (rather than genealogical) sources to confirm things.  Elene's father was Sir William Kingston and Mary Scrope.  Whilst William and his father are interesting re Henry VIII, Mary's lineage takes you back to Norman knights.  These in turn branch off into various directions, those who were on the Welsh borders married daughters of Welsh princes, much as those up north married the daughters of the Scottish royal houses, a lot of this was to shore up the Normans positions in Britain.  In turn this has lead to Normandy, Alfred the Great, Agincourt, Godiva, Vikings etc.  This was why I like to double check my historical sources as large numbers on the web lay claim to connections to great houses and I hate going off down a route for a few centuries only to find out it was totally wrong. Although dates vary wildly in the early years, by 50 years or more! the lineage is always the same.  I have got a number of word documents which are very much works in progress but if you want any more info let me know.   My mum said someone in the family had researched us before and said we came over with William the Conqueror and now I know where that came from!
Regards
Steph
Stevenson/Piper/Winchester/Wenham/Avery/Muddle/Funnell/Pardon/Virgo - East Sussex
Hutton/Newton/Wilson/Mullender/Little/Wright - Lancs/Cumbria
Brooks/Groves/Martin/Dormer - Oxfordshire
Collins - Bishopsgate/Spitalfields
Taylor/Willis/Wiffin/Lord - Cambs
Barrett/Wiffin - Essex
Draper/Brewer/Lester/Brown/Cole/Eddolls/Crook/Barrett/Styles - Wiltshire
Seares, Massey, Nevill, Nevell, Stannett, Dancer, Hammerton, Wilcox - Bucks
Currier - Berks
Prater/Clargo/Paice/Challis/Baughurst - Hants

Offline Grizzly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 January 08 17:53 GMT (UK) »
My goodness Steph ! I though the Prater lineage was pretty upper crust- Gary has it going back to the Welsh princes and to Normandy- but you've prompted me to go through Mary Scropes line too.

All I have in my family line seem to be labourers with the odd pauper or imbecile. It looks like my husband's family have far superior breeding !  ;)
G
South Yorkshire:
Johnson
Birkinshaw ( and variant spellings)
White
Clarke  (and Ashton Northants)
Taylor   (and Darleston, Staffs)
Foster  (and Darleston)
Bailey
Boyd
Outram
Jagger

Offline Steph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 January 08 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Glad to be of help - although I would stress the need to double check some of the info you find on these websites (some people on rootsweb quote sources which I find quite helpful).
I think most people will have some link to a Norman family it's just finding that link and supporting information that's difficult (an unusual surname can often help).  I've been lucky on my mum's side but on my dad's although I've got back to 1530s etc there's nothing as exciting except possible links that I can't follow up just yet.  Like yours they were good honest workers although some were farm owners with servants at this time and must therefore have been relatively well off, still like you and thousands of others I'll keep plugging away.

Happy hunting

Steph
Stevenson/Piper/Winchester/Wenham/Avery/Muddle/Funnell/Pardon/Virgo - East Sussex
Hutton/Newton/Wilson/Mullender/Little/Wright - Lancs/Cumbria
Brooks/Groves/Martin/Dormer - Oxfordshire
Collins - Bishopsgate/Spitalfields
Taylor/Willis/Wiffin/Lord - Cambs
Barrett/Wiffin - Essex
Draper/Brewer/Lester/Brown/Cole/Eddolls/Crook/Barrett/Styles - Wiltshire
Seares, Massey, Nevill, Nevell, Stannett, Dancer, Hammerton, Wilcox - Bucks
Currier - Berks
Prater/Clargo/Paice/Challis/Baughurst - Hants

Offline junket

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 January 08 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steph,

I have just noticed this.  Thank you so much.  I will certainly, be contacting you.

junket.
AUGER, BALL, BRAY, BROAD, COLMAN, COON, EDE, GLASSON, HICKS, INCH, LEMIN, RUNNALLS, PEARCE, PRATER, PROUT, TRUDGIAN, TREVAINS, VIVIAN, WELLINGTON, YELLAND

Offline junket

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 January 08 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Grizzly,

I am descended from the Praters, in Cornwall, too.
I have PM'd you.

junket

Offline VelkyAl

• RootsChat Extra
  • http://www.fuggled.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 31 May 18 18:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Grizzly,

I am descended from the Praters, in Cornwall, too.
I have PM'd you.

junket

I have been digging into my wife's family history and it would seem that she is descended from this same Prater family. Apparently one Thomas Prater, born in 1604, came to Virginia in 1622 and about 90% of Praters in the US are descended from him. He is my wife's 9x great grandfather and the most recent Prater in her family was her great grandmother, Nannie Odessa Prater.
Reece/Reese, Scott, Cassie, Paine, Ogston, Calder, Chant, Thompson, Castle, Moyse, Prince, Springett, Cadger, Philip, Rennie, Cooper, Steineke, Kaiser, Hallett, Ford, Killoh, Hepburn, Torry, Ingram, Robertson, Norrie,  Mudford, Spore, Lane, Virgin, Davis, Hendy, Stone, White

Offline VelkyAl

• RootsChat Extra
  • http://www.fuggled.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 May 19 20:18 BST (UK) »
I share the same lineage, if you go back to the parents of George - John Prater and Elene Kingston you will start to find interesting links.  There is a lot of info on a web site by a Gary Prather but I know you have to be careful so I've cross-checked on the familysearch IGI and on rootsweb and in some instances, specific historical (rather than genealogical) sources to confirm things.  Elene's father was Sir William Kingston and Mary Scrope.  Whilst William and his father are interesting re Henry VIII, Mary's lineage takes you back to Norman knights.  These in turn branch off into various directions, those who were on the Welsh borders married daughters of Welsh princes, much as those up north married the daughters of the Scottish royal houses, a lot of this was to shore up the Normans positions in Britain.  In turn this has lead to Normandy, Alfred the Great, Agincourt, Godiva, Vikings etc.  This was why I like to double check my historical sources as large numbers on the web lay claim to connections to great houses and I hate going off down a route for a few centuries only to find out it was totally wrong. Although dates vary wildly in the early years, by 50 years or more! the lineage is always the same.  I have got a number of word documents which are very much works in progress but if you want any more info let me know.   My mum said someone in the family had researched us before and said we came over with William the Conqueror and now I know where that came from!
Regards
Steph

I realise it is *only* Wikipedia, but according to this Mary Scrope had no children with William Kingston, so I wonder where the Elene Kingston is coming from?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Scrope
Reece/Reese, Scott, Cassie, Paine, Ogston, Calder, Chant, Thompson, Castle, Moyse, Prince, Springett, Cadger, Philip, Rennie, Cooper, Steineke, Kaiser, Hallett, Ford, Killoh, Hepburn, Torry, Ingram, Robertson, Norrie,  Mudford, Spore, Lane, Virgin, Davis, Hendy, Stone, White