Author Topic: Paris Street, Exeter  (Read 7930 times)

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Paris Street, Exeter
« on: Saturday 19 May 07 02:37 BST (UK) »
I posted the following in October 2005 on an old thread 'Exeter - Paris Street' without any response whatsoever, so I hope you won't mind me trying again?

My interest in Paris Street appears to pre-date other subscribers, but I had this little 'gem' tucked away in my GILL file:

THE TIMES
Friday May 19 1837 page 5, column a
On Wednesday night, about 10 o’clock, a very extensive fire broke out in Paris-street, Exeter.  It commenced in the premises of Mr. Hooper, a builder.  The fire burnt rapidly, and soon extended to Silver-place, where six or seven houses were in a short time entirely destroyed;  and the remaining houses in that place were on fire.  In all, about nine houses had been destroyed, and others were involved in flames at the time our informant left Exeter, which was past 12 o’clock on Wednesday evening.  The fire was also continuing its ravages along Paris-street.

My interest stems from my Gt-gt-grandfather, James GILL, who rose through the ranks from post-boy [not the GPO variety!] of Poltimore Square 1835 to Coachman on the over-night Defiance out of Exeter to London, by 1841 on the Ilminster stage of that route, where he is recorded in 1841 Census.

James had issue baptised at Colyton, Ilminster and Membury but I've not found a baptism for son Thomas Page GILL born 30 March 1838 at Paris Street, St Sidwell, Exeter;  Father's occupation then Coachman.

Sadly, James died in 1844 from pulmonary consumption, denying me the opportunity to establish his origins, and was buried in Yarcombe.  However, I am fortunate that two death notices have been located:

The Taunton Courier of 31 January 1844 records on page 7 the death:
‘At Long-hill, Mr. James GILL, for many years driver of the Defiance coach, on the Ilminster Road.’

The Sherborne Journal records in its Deaths column of 25 January 1844:
'January 19, Mr. James GILL, for some years the coachman of the Defiance Coach, whose death was accelerated by too constant exposure to the night air and damp weather.

If some kind soul is in a position to check for similar in any Exeter newspapers of the period, it is possible that some reference may be made to James GILL's origins as he was likely to be well-known to West Country travellers of the 1830s/40s.

SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Knellie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Paris Street, Exeter
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 May 08 03:22 BST (UK) »
Noticed this link for another thread might help to post there?!!?

http://www.exetermemories.co.uk/EM/index.html

Knellie

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 July 10 04:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Knellie.  I did not see your reply until late last night and I've just spent several hours on the recommended website!

dee-jay
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Offline paullo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 June 13 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,
wonder if the following is of interest to you from an inquest in 1838. Taunton Courier Aug 15 1838 Ilminster. - Inquest of James Simpson:
James Gill, coachman of the Defiance. – I knew the deceased one year, he slept with me three nights; saw him about ten o’clock on Thursday night, in the bar-room with one or two others; I did not think him much in liquor; did not see him drink anything; ten minutes after I came in, deceased went to bed. I went to bed just after twelve o’clock and found him in bed, he was lying in his usual way on his left side; there was a rattling in the throat, and appeared to be asleep, and snoring; I went down and called up Colmer, who went up wth me; and when he came into the room, I said, “I do not think Simpson is very well; I think he will die if not better; I seem he is rather queer.” Colmer went to the side of him, and unbuttoned his shirt collar, which was very tight, and lifted up his head; after which deceased seemed to breathe rather more freely. I then said, “I think I had better go to another bed, and let him sleep by himself.” Colmer said, “I do not think there is much the matter with him, and looking at him again, thought his breath was better, and said I do not mind sleeping with him.” I then wished Colmer good night, and putting out the candle, went to bed. I slept soundly all the night, and waking in the morning about a quarter before seven, and sitting down at the bottom of the bed, I noticed he was breathing just in the same way as when I went to bed, but I did not disturb him considering him asleep. I observed a bottle lying on the table, there was a small quantity of liquid in it, the same bottle was in the possession of Mr Eames.

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 June 13 20:57 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your interest, but I already have that inquest report.  I took out a subscription to the online British Library Newspaper Archive last year:  the best investment I ever made in Family History research!  I constantly return to the search for James GILL and all incidents involving the Defiance coach, as more editions of West Country newspapers are added to the website and corrections made to the OCR transcriptions.

As my ancestors include Ag-labs, bargemen, gamekeepers and police, in addition to the coachman,  many made appearances in the news countrywide for both good and ill!  My favourite is the 'silly-looking youth' who tried, unsuccessfully, to steal a duck in Somerset but ended up before the magistrates where he 'landed' a fine of 2s 6d. and costs!

Offline Terry_at_NZ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 July 17 12:44 BST (UK) »
dee-jay,
I was Googling 'Thomas Page Gill' today and found your site.  Four years since the last posting!

I thought you might be interested in this item from our cemetery: -
https://findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=gill&GSiman=1&GScid=2536046&GRid=181808150&

Do you have the graves of his parents?
Do you anything to connect this Thomas Page Gill with the man of the same name who came to New Zealand and was in the army here?

Terry Montgomery

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 August 17 09:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Terry

Thanks for your interest.

James, father to Thomas Page GILL, was buried at Yarcombe, Devon in January 1844, followed by infant son John in May 1844. I found no trace of their graves in the churchyard but they are recorded in the Yarcombe Burials PR. 

James' widow Elizabeth [nee PAGE] remarried in 1853 to Joseph EVERY and after his death in 1883 she resided with her married children from the 2nd marriage:  1891 with Charlotte J. HILL in Chard and subsequently James John EVERY, Postmaster at Buckland St Mary, where she died and was buried in 1896.  There is a Somerset MI for the couple but I have not visited the grave at BSM.

The Howick RC Church copy marriage certificate 13 Mar 1910 of Thomas Page GILL, widower, 71 to Ellen McINERNEY, widow, 70 confirms his identity as the son born Exeter, England, to James GILL, Coachman, and Elizabeth [nee PAGE].  His death certificate confirms his occupation Military Pensioner.

dee-jay

Offline IanT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 February 18 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Page Gill baptism transcribed as Thomas Pye Gale!

Devon Baptisms Transcription

First name(s)   Thomas Pye [s/be Thomas Page!]
Last name   Gale         [s/be Gill!]
Birth year   1838
Baptism year   1838
Denomination   Anglican
County   Devon
Baptism place   Exeter, St Sidwell [correct]
Mother's first name(s)   Elizabeth   [correct]
Father's first name(s)   James      [correct]
Archive   South West Heritage Trust
Birth date   09 May 1838
Father's occupation   Coachman      [correct]
Residence   Paris Street

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 February 18 21:12 GMT (UK) »
That’s brilliant, Ian!  Thank you so much for tying up that loose end. The parish was the one I anticipated but the paid researcher I employed failed to find it some years ago. 

There does appear a discrepancy in the date of birth as his birth certificate states 30 March 1838.

I need to dig into my files as, if memory serves me correct, I had to get the details checked by the local Registrar as the reproduction copy ‘lifted’ from the GRO original was difficult to read in parts.

Once again, many thanks.
dee-jay