Author Topic: Messuages?  (Read 1425 times)

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
Messuages?
« on: Saturday 04 December 04 23:23 GMT (UK) »
What does Messuages mean please?

The property now consisted of four messuages, occupied by Nicholas Barham, Thomas Baldock, James Woodgate and Thomas Stapley; [blank] Crosley's land lay to the west, and Alfred Boorman's to the north and east (3/25, 26)
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Messuages?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 December 04 23:27 GMT (UK) »
My lady,

It means (according to the dictionary):
a dwelling and offices with the adjoining lands appropriated to the household: or
a mansion-house and grounds
Either would usually come "with appurtenances."

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 December 04 23:30 GMT (UK) »
messuage n. house with its land and outbuildings.
© From the Hutchinson Encyclopaedia. 

Messuage: A term used in deed to signify a dwelling house and the surrounding property, including outbuildings. A large residential property was referred to as a captial messuage. Taken from: David Hey's Oxford companion to Local & Family History

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 December 04 23:43 GMT (UK) »
I found this bit of info on A2A......James Woodgate could be one of mine, Would it be worth sending off for the details, do you think?
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline Geoff of Devon

• I have turned off notifications of new replies to my posts.
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 December 04 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fitty,
I've downloaded stuff from A2A a couple of times and found it a bit hit and miss. The hits so far outweigh the misses but because of their rigid/same pricing structure I usually use the file size as a guidline to how much info you are going to get. Whether it is really relevant or not is another matter, so I usually go in for a bit of a cross-check and ponder first!  :P
Geoff.
PS LOVE the quiz in Even Lighter side.  ;)
All lookups are crown copyright

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 December 04 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Geoff

I've used A2A as a finding aid many times in the past but wasn't aware that you could download anything.

I've never found anything that is downloadable - just references that can be looked up in the appropriate record office.  I can't see anything on the site that mentions downloading either.

http://www.a2a.org.uk/

Is this peculiar to certain record offices perhaps or am I missing something here?

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Geoff of Devon

• I have turned off notifications of new replies to my posts.
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 December 04 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Hiya,
I think I must have been getting confused with The National Archives which I also use with my A2A link. DOH! Sorry, Geoff.
All lookups are crown copyright

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 December 04 19:13 GMT (UK) »
........ and there's me thinking I'm missing something!  Never mind.  Thanks Geoff.

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk