Author Topic: Jones/Stonestreet family of Salehurst/Etchingham  (Read 13140 times)

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Jones/Stonestreet family of Salehurst/Etchingham
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 May 07 07:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks to Conygar and Andrea for their responses.

I don't know anything about Reginald Stonestreet but given that he was born in Robertsbridge I guess there is probably a connection somewhere.  Do you have any more info about him?

:)
Ireland: Arlour, Arlow, Hammond, Hannah, Shanks, Templeton

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 May 07 08:59 BST (UK) »
There is a death registered in Jan. quarter 1882 at Ticehurst ref 2b 75.  Richard Jones age 67.
Reginald is a son of James and Emily Stonestreet.  They are in Salehurst on the 1881 census.   There are two James, age 5, in 1851.   One is with parents Ward and Ellen and the other with Solomon and Mary.    They are both from Brightling.  HO107 1636 Folios 454 and 438
Andrea

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 May 07 07:43 BST (UK) »
I have no record of either Ward or Solomon, which explains why I did not know about Reginald either!

Looks like I have a lot more Stonestreets still to find.  The name does not seem too common outwith the Sussex area, so I expect they all connect somewhere.

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 May 07 09:30 BST (UK) »
There are 166 marriages for Stonestreet and variants on the Sussex Marriage Index.
Andrea

Offline Legacy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 June 07 23:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Coonwara

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

I can now confirm that the SMI is in error. Actual original parish record indicates RICHARD as the first name. ( LDS #1067300  It.2; M.1812-1836)

Hope this clears up things.
Legacy
Sedlescombe- Smith, Bryant,
Ewhurst- Smith, Goodsell
Mountfield - Smith & Baker
Brede - Smith & Crouch

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 24 June 07 10:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Legacy

Thank you for this - it makes things much clearer for me.  Perhaps the person compiling the index got the first name of one of the witnesses confused with that of the groom!

Congyar
Thank you for the details regarding Reginald Stonestreet.  I did not previously know about Reginald - do you know the date of the info that you provided and who Reginald's parents were?

I guess I now need to find where Ward Stonestreet and Solomon Stonestreet, who are mentioned by Sillgen, fit into the scheme of things.

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 24 June 07 10:54 BST (UK) »
Oooops!  Just realised Sillgen has already given Reginald's parents>

:-[

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 24 June 07 11:11 BST (UK) »
From the Sussex Marriage Index:
Mountfield, East Sussex, 
13 Nov 1832
Ward STONESTREET, Brightling
Eleanor VENESS

No Reginald or Solomon on the SMI only

Brightling, East Sussex, 
30 Jan 1826:
Saul STONESTREET
Mary CARLEY

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 24 June 07 11:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian

Thanks for this.  I did not have Saul's marriage so this is very useful to me.