Author Topic: Removal Orders  (Read 2271 times)

Offline Aulus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The black sheep: Florence Stevenson née Hampson
    • View Profile
Removal Orders
« on: Sunday 20 May 07 14:25 BST (UK) »
While randomly putting family names into the search engine on the Access to Archives website, it came up with these two entries:

Lancashire Quarter Sessions, Preston, Michaelmas 1826
FILE - Over Darwen to Quick, West Riding, co. York. Order of removal of Henry Wild, Phoebe his wife, and Mary, Henry, John, James, Charles and Phoebe their children - ref.  QSP/2887/61  - date: 1826 4 Aug

Lancashire Quarter Sessions, Preston, Michaelmas 1827
FILE - Over Darwen to Saddleworth, West Riding, co. York. Order of removal of Henry Wild, Phoebe his wife and Mary, Henry, John, James, Charles and Phoebe their children - ref.  QSP/2870/93  - date: 1826 4 Aug

As I understand it removal orders were made to transfer responsibility for a family from one Parish to another.  What's interesting in this case, is that the family seem not to have removed themselves, as they stayed in Darwen through to the start of the 20th century (actually I think some  of  the more distant Wilds are still in Darwen).

I'm puzzled as to why the record would apparently be duplicated, in subsequent years' records - and the actual order is dated the same, just the place they're being removed to changing subtly.  Unless the Parish tried to get rid of them and they didn't go, but used the order made the previous year to try again before the next year's quarter sessions.    Makes it sound like a 19th century ASBO!

Can anyone advise me what the original documents might contain?  Is there more detail and explanation in the original documents that would make it worth getting copies?

If anyone can point me to a website with more information on how such removal orders worked, I'd be really grateful.  I've tried google, but there are so many modern sorts of removal order that they swamp the results.

thanks for your advice!
Lancashire: Stevenson, Wild, Holden, Jepson
Worcs/Staffs: Steventon, Smith
East London & Suffolk: Guest, Scrutton
East London: Palfreman (prev Tyneside), Bissell, Collis, Dearlove, Ettridge
Herts: Camac, Collis, Mason, Dorrington, Siggens
Marylebone & Sussex: Cole
London & Huntingdonshire: Freeman
Bowland: Marsden, Noble
Shropshire: Guest

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Removal Orders
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 May 07 15:16 BST (UK) »
See the Settlement Act  under Poor Laws at http://www.workhouses.org.uk/

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Aulus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The black sheep: Florence Stevenson née Hampson
    • View Profile
Re: Removal Orders
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 May 07 21:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Stan,

A useful response from you and some useful facts - I now know where I might find Henry Wild's birth.
Lancashire: Stevenson, Wild, Holden, Jepson
Worcs/Staffs: Steventon, Smith
East London & Suffolk: Guest, Scrutton
East London: Palfreman (prev Tyneside), Bissell, Collis, Dearlove, Ettridge
Herts: Camac, Collis, Mason, Dorrington, Siggens
Marylebone & Sussex: Cole
London & Huntingdonshire: Freeman
Bowland: Marsden, Noble
Shropshire: Guest

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk