Author Topic: Newcastle Evening Chronicle Death Notice  (Read 10669 times)

Offline cass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Newcastle Evening Chronicle Death Notice
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 May 07 22:03 BST (UK) »
The main library in Newcastle used to have the old copies of the chronicle on microfiche but it is being re-furbished. I did'nt realise that the civic centre had copies. If that is correct I will go and visit in a couple of weeks time as I need to look up something in the chronicle myself. If I do I will look up the death notice for you. Cass
Cumbria - Whitfield, Fagan, Murphy, Sloan, Weighman, Ousby, Brunskill
Hampshire - Alford
Ireland - County Down - Fagan, Murphy
Kidderminster - Whitfield

Offline barbarad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 May 07 22:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for the offer Cass. :)

I've been told elsewhere that the newspaper collection is temporarily housed at the Civic Centre, while the refurbishment is taking place.   I have assumed that the information is correct.

I have had a PM from someone offering to have a look for me, so please don't spend any time on my behalf.

Barbara
My email address is no longer working sorry

Offline Grant45

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 May 07 20:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Barbara
Here you are

Evening Chronicle Wednesday 31 May 1905 Page 2

Robson_ Tile Sheds, Scotswood, from injuries received in mine 29th inst., aged 14, James beloved son of John and Annie Robson. Interment at Newburn Thursday; cortege leaving 3pm. All friends kindly invited.

And from Tuesday 30 May 1905

FATALITY AT SCOTSWOOD
   An accident whereby a youth named James Robson was fatally injured occurred at Scotswood on Monday. Robson, who had started work a week ago, was employed at what is locally known as " Carr's Pit", the owners ofwhich are Messrs. Walter Scott. He was busy coupling tubs down the mine when it is stated, the set unexpectedly came away, and caught him. When extricated he was found to have been very seriously hurt, both his legs being crushed, one of them severely, while his head was also injured. On being brought to bank he was immediately taken to his home at Tile Sheds, Scotswood, where he was attended by Dr. Dewar, assistant to Dr. Bunting. He was afterwards removed to the Newcastle Infirmary, and there he succumbed to his injuries on Monday night. Deceased was 14 years of age, and was the son of John Robson, who is engaged as a deputy overman at Carr's Pit

Regards
                                                  Grant
GRANT, Markinch Fife & St Thomas Ontario
GILMOUR, Broughty Ferry, Angus & Anstruther Fife
LATTO St Monance Fife
STEWART, Bathgate West Lothian
STEWART,St Monance & Kilrenny
FLEMING, FORREST, Bathgate West Lothian
BATHGATE ,HAIG -East Lothian
STAINES Henham Essex-Edinburgh
ARMSTRONG,Northumberland
FEENEY,Lanarkshire Northumberland Co Durham
DONNISON Northumberland, Co Durham
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline barbarad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 25 May 07 09:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for that Grant ;D.

There are a couple of pieces of information there which I wasn't aware of, including the parents address at the time and the fact that it took the poor boy a couple of days to die.

Tile Sheds does make sense as an address.  The pit was both a coal mine and a clay pit, with a brickworks attached.  The pit had originally been opened by a firm called Carr's - hence the local name of Carr's pit.

Another interesting little snippet is that he was attended by Dr Dewar.  James sister moved to Nottinghamshire about 20 years later, and the family doctor after the move was Dr Dewar.  As there were quite a few Newcastle doctors who moved to the area I wonder if it was the same one?  Something else for me to look into.
My email address is no longer working sorry