Author Topic: A really difficult request  (Read 4395 times)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
A really difficult request
« on: Tuesday 22 May 07 23:17 BST (UK) »
Help I think I have tried to get help with this ancestor before but now have an even more confusing situation with him ANY help will be very welcome
George MOULE or MOLE was a soldier in the 7th Reg of the Fuseliers
We Know two of his children, Ellen b 1822 (Edinbugh from census) and John b 1823 either at sea or Chatham Barracks depending on which census you look at, marry in Ombersley Worcestershire where George was born they seem to have been with relatives. We have found a George Mole marrying a Janet HALDANE in Glasgow 1818 they have an Eleanor Hope in1822
We have his papers when he asks to live after discharge in Hull
Next we have a baptism
8 Dec 1829 George Henry to George and Mary MOLE of DRYPOOL Private in the 7th Regt of Fuseliers
Burial Mary MOLE of Drypool 9 Jan 1830 27years
Burial George Henry MOLE of Drypool 29 Jan 1830 7 weeks
Marriage 3 Mar 1831 1831 Sculcoats George MOLE Frances Smith nee Bradley
Baptism George 23 Jan 1832 George tson of  George and Francis MOLE soldier of the 7th Fusiliers
Burial Frances MOLE of Drypool 5 Apr 1848 56 years
Marriage Mar Qtr 1849 George MOLE Ann Ward nee ROADHOUSE
No children she died 1857

We need to
a) Find a marriage for Mary about 1829
 b) find a birth for John
c) a death for Janet about 1828 
d) a death for Alexander Patrick.
e) a death for George
f)Where the 7th Foot Fusiliers were in 1818 and 1826 (From a previous post Scrimnet kindly gave
1815.12.24 7th Regiment of Foot (Royal Fusiliers)
1818 England
1818 Ireland
1825 Ionian Islands
1828 Malta

No mention of  Scotland, Chatham or HULL

We contacted the army museum with out any sucsess

Can any one please help with any of the above questions George is not only proving to be a “Ladies man” but also a nightmare
Trees
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline PJWELLS

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 February 16 01:18 GMT (UK) »
There are 5 birth entries for MOULE children in the 7th Queens own Hussars from 1821 to 1834 available from the GRO under armed forces births. 3 appear to be whilst his regiment or battalion were in Ireland, the others in England.
Drypool near Hull was the location of an army barracks , and certainly had an establishment for retired army pensioners in the 1850-1870 era, so was probably there earlier.
The regiment would have comprised several battalions, and whilst some may have been posted overseas, some would have remained in the UK, dealing with any number of tasks. And may have been moving around  the numerous barracks and storage areas, probably moving and guarding stocks of materials required for the regiment. So you will find them at the key locations I suspect, such as Chatham , Liverpool and Plymouth.
Researching the muster roll journals at Kew would give a better insight to this regiments various battalions movements, unless anyone has already researched this in detail.

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A really difficult request
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 February 16 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your interest
My contact was going through the parochial church records for Ombersley & found a settlement order dated November 1824 for George Moule [sic] of the 7th fusiliers [we know that George was of this regiment from parish record info on the baptism of son George Henry]. He must have applied to stay in the parish, but then changed his mind and rejoined the regiment. The order, reference SX 985-39, cites that he married his wife Mary in Brighthelmstone in 1823 and that he had a son John born in April 1824. We know that John was baptised Chatham on 9 May 1824.
This lead us to the first marriage to Mary FENNER 15 Jul 1823 Brighton (Brighthelmstone was an old name for Brighton)Marywas buried 9 Jan 1830 in Drypool Yorkshire
John was baptised     9 May 1824 Chatham
Ellen's  birth in Edinburgh, is still a mystery  she is with an Aunt in 1841 in Ombersley and gave her father as George a soldier when she married again in Ombersley. As Mary was still alive when Ellen was born we assume she was her mother but what they were doing in Edinburgh is still unkown. It looks like the Janet Haldane is unconnected unless there was a bigamous marriage It could be why Ellen and John were with relatives rather than with their parents. But their son George Henry was baptised
8 Dec 1829, George Henry to George & Mary Mole of Drypool, Private in the 7th Regt of Fuseliers. signed H Venn
Page 5 Drypool film 0919452 he sadly was also buried in Drypool29 Jan 1830
All very odd but partly answered

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline PJWELLS

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 February 16 12:24 GMT (UK) »
The discharge papers of George MOLE born Ormbersley of the 7th foot regiment are a surving record in the national archive and will viewable on findmypast  provided you subscribe or wait until they gave a free access day! and most probably at a local library if they have access . The summary is that he was discharged aged 40, the date is not available on the summary, but you will find , hopefully some interesting facts about him , such as his height . It is likely that he was discharged due to ill health, so the record will detail the problem. The record should have his attestation form.

The GRO records for the MOULE children associated with the 7th Hussars are that of
John born 1821 Ireland
Mary A and Sarah born 1829 Ireland
Mary  born 1833 England
Elizabeth born 1834 England.
Again, with a findmypast access you can see more detail, but NOT the certified entry document, it would be the INDEX ref required to order the certificates, but this information is available on familyrelatives free, provided you register.

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A really difficult request
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 February 16 13:16 GMT (UK) »
It looks like John and Ellen were sent to their Ombersley relations when their mother died in child birth their little brother was buried just 20 days before his mother in Drypool.

mcmullin.me.uk