Author Topic: Lowden  (Read 14039 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lowden
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 August 08 06:03 BST (UK) »
boo,

I'm referring to the Monumental Inscriptions and TT Gadget talks about in her previous post ....  ;D

Hope you manage to contact Eliza.

Offline boo77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 August 08 06:10 BST (UK) »
Ah yes how silly of me  ;D I sent eliza a short message.  Are you connected to this Lowden family at all?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 August 08 06:13 BST (UK) »
No I'm not related - just being nosey and reading through some of the posts on rootschat.  ;)

Good luck with your search.

Offline lyn09

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 27 December 08 05:13 GMT (UK) »
I tried to follow the above instructions to send Eliza a personal message, but this seems to have changed since then and that option wasn't available.

My husband and children are descended from a Robert Lowden, son of James and Sarah nee Bostock, born in Spotland, Nearerside, County of Lancaster, 1843, and who emigrated with his parents and sister, Emma, on the "Donald Mackay" to Melbourne, Australia in 1863. His two older brothers John and William had previously emigrated, in 1850 and 1857.
I have no information to suggest that this family originated in Scotland, other than my husband's father always asserting that he was a Scotsman, despite being second generation Australian. 
Can anyone help me track this family back any further than James and Sarah. If Eliza and Boo07 are still checking, is there any chance our families are connected?                         

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 December 08 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lyn

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Do you have a record of a marriage for James and Sarah?

I've done a quick search and can't find one in Scotland or Lancashire so far  :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline lyn09

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 29 December 08 00:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ruskie for your help.

Offline lyn09

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 29 December 08 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget.
James Lowden and Sarah Bostock were married 15April 1828 at Saddleworth, York, which was Sarah's place of residence. We have no info on James' origins.
Thanks for your interest, Lyn

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 11 January 09 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi  :)

Just to update you all:

Eliza and I still can't find a marriage for William Lowden and Janet McRobert (variations). From the MI which I've quoted above, Janet seems considerably younger than Willam and I was wondering if there was an earlier marriage and this was a second one. I've not found anything so far  :(

Ive found a baptism for a Jannet McRobert in Wigtownshire in 1783 but nothing to suggest that this is the same person but it could be.

I've also found a will of William Lowden of Culmain/Haugh of Urr in 1833 which is probably Williams's.

Eliza is having problems accessing this from SP so if any of those who are descendants of this couple might like to download it .........................

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 18:05 GMT (UK) »
I'm beginning to think that I am related to everyone from the Stewartry :o My Janet Paton McMurray (1874 -1899) married James Murray McRobert (Abt 1871 -?) in 1893 in Creetown, Kirkmabreck parish.  His father was Andrew McRobert (b. abt 1840-?) and mother was Jane Murray (abt. 1840). Andrew's father was Alexander McRobert (1789-1873) and mother Mary Rain (1803-1883). I haven't included all the children as this would take up too much space, but some of them were born in Urr.

To add to the intrigue, Janet Paton McMurray's aunt, Isabella McMurray (1828-1892) married John Tweedie (1825 -1892). The latter's daughter, Janet Hannah Tweedie (1859 - abt. 1943) married John Cumming (s) (1840-1905). John Cumming's first wife is believed to be Jane Lowden/Louden/Lauden. Family lore has it this Jane was somehow related to the Tweedies and/or McMurrays. 

Sorry if this is confusing, but there may be a link somewhere  ??? If there are any specific names I can check in my tree, I'd be happy to do that.

Scatza
McMurrie/McMurray, McFegan, McClune, Coltart, Shaw, McLean - Kirkcudbright; McMurray, Simpson, Adams, Mussett South Africa