Author Topic: Presbyterian Churches with Cemeteries  (Read 11341 times)

Offline caswellm

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Presbyterian Churches with Cemeteries
« on: Friday 25 May 07 23:57 BST (UK) »
My Wilson families lived on farmland owned by Sir William Young during the late 1700 and up to mid 1850's.  They were Presbyterians and would be buried somewhere in or near Bailieborough.  Does anyone have access to cemetery records for any Presbyterian Church in this area of Cavan?  Thanks for any help.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Presbyterian Churches with Cemeteries
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 May 07 10:09 BST (UK) »
It was also quite common for Presbyterian families in Ireland to have burying ground in the Church of Ireland- historically due to having to pay tithes but then being entitled to burial. However, some C. of I. churches did not include Presbyterians in their Burial register and even removed old Presbyterian headstones. Therefore, if you don't find your family in Presbyterian churchyards the next step would be to check the C.of I. parish church.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline caswellm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 May 07 18:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the tips.  Marilyn

Offline patca

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 June 07 17:58 BST (UK) »
Marilyn,
My Wilsons are also from Baillieborough, Cavan.  John Wilson born Oct. 1836 and died in Phila. Pa. USA Feb 1911.  He married Mary Ann Vincent in Jul 1858.  They were also Presbyterian, but there marriage registration says that they were married in the Church of England & Ireland in the Parish of Drumgoon.  His father's name was also John  and he was a farmer.  John & Mary Ann immigrated to Philadelphia in 1889.
Perhaps there is a connection.  Please let me know if you have a John Wilson.  Thanks,    Pat
Johnston, Wilson, Vincent, Clarke, Baley

Offline caswellm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 June 07 23:14 BST (UK) »
Pat,  I don't know how we connect, but I am certain we must!  Our John Wilson was born in Ardee, Louth in June 1826, but his father and grandfather came from Cavan County.  John's father, also a John,  married a Jocelyn (Joice) Wynne in Tuberdoney, Louth in 1825.  John, born in 1826, had brothers named Robert, Thomas and William and a sister Maria Jane....all born in Louth.  As you well know, every family named their sons and daughters after the parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles, which only complicates the research. 

Our John Wilson left Ireland in 1847 and spent the rest of his life in Portland, Oregon.  An uncle,  William Wilson and family, went to Hope and Cobourgh, Ontario Canada. A cousin, George Wilson, went to Cincinnati, Ohio and then to St. Louis.  Another part of the family went to Australia.

I am still trying to identify what Presbyterian Church the Wilson attended, but it was probably near Bailieborough.  Do you happen to know where any of your Wilson's were buried?  Lived? What can you share to help unravel this puzzle?  Thanks,  Marilyn

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 June 07 00:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Caswellm,

First Bailieborough (Corglass)
There was a congregation at Corglass in the early 1700s. The Rev David Sim, the first Minister, was installed on March 25th, 1714. The Church building dates from 1795. The congregation today consists of anout forty five families.

Trinity, Bailieborough
The Second Bailieborough Presbyterian was built in 1770 so there'd have been a congregation there prior to that date. That church was demolished but the graveyard remained and a new church was built in 1887.

"In old Corglass": an outline of 250 years in First Bailieboro' Presbyterian Church, Bailieborough, Co. Cavan" by Warren Porter was published by the First Bailieborough Presbyterian Church Congregational Committee in 1964

Christopher

Offline caswellm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 June 07 00:38 BST (UK) »
Christopher,  You cease to amaze me with your wealth of knowledge!  You and Brendan always come up with answers or what to do and where to look.  Thank you from me and all the rest of searchers on the forums.

Now, can you tell me if there is a printed extraction of the graves from the cemetery of Trinity Church, Bailieborough?

While I have your attention,  do you have "Alumni Dublinese " the students of Trinity College, Dublin?  Or, do you know anyone who has a copy?

Many thanks,   Marilyn Caswell    (still looking for Wilson's and Wynne's county Louth and Cavan)

Offline patca

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 June 07 01:41 BST (UK) »
Marilyn,
I do have more information, however I am going on vacation tomorrow morning and won't be back for 3 weeks.  I will answer when I return.  I went to Cavan last year and although I got some info, I didn't have enough time to complete my research.  I guess I will have to go back.
Pat

Johnston, Wilson, Vincent, Clarke, Baley

Offline caswellm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 June 07 02:14 BST (UK) »
Pat,  We were in Ardee, Louth in 2000 and hope to get back after I gather a bit more solid information.  We also have county Cavan and Longford to add to the research  folder.  Have a wonderful vacation!  Marilyn