Author Topic: A grandfather who had no children???  (Read 23445 times)

Offline greenvalley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: A grandfather who had no children???
« Reply #18 on: Monday 20 December 10 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Charlotte,

I don't know this side of the Sutjer;and family very well, but perhaps you can find some more information if you follow this link:

http://www.myheritage.com/FP/newsItem.php?s=51857541&newsID=2

or this one

http://www.myheritage.com/site-51857541/sutherl-family

They seem to link the Sutherlands to Mulvey.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Greenvalley
ANDERSON: Moray & Jamaica
ELDER: Stirlingshire, Perthshire & Glasgow
WILSON: Glenisla, Alyth & Dundee
GRANT & ATKINSON:Northumberland
HARRIS: Dron and Glasgow
MATSON: Glasgow and Belfast
OLIVER, HARDY & GIBSON: Ireland, Antrim Belfast
TODD: England and Jamaica
McGRIGOR, McILCHONNEL: Perthshire

Offline PeterW71

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 26 July 12 11:25 BST (UK) »
Hi don't know if this will help and it's a long time since the question was posted but...

William Sutherland of Roscommon and his wife Lady Helen Duff were alive and well in 1728, where they witnessed the baptisim of William Sutherland (14/11/1728), son to Laurence Sutherland of Greenhall, merchant in Elgin. [O.P.R. Births 135/00 0020 0445 Elgin]

Errik/Eric name comes through Kenneth Sutherland 3rd Lord Duffus' son, which he had after having to leave British shores disgraced after 1717, while in service with the Russian navy as an admiral. Errik returned to Scotland later in 1734. The house of lords refused a request by him to regain his fathers title.

Offline greenvalley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 17 September 12 16:36 BST (UK) »
thanks Peter.

It still doesn't quite explain the link between these Sutherlands or indeed the link between them and "my" Erick Sutherland who was married to Jean Lawson in 1790.

Many websites have wonderful "relatives" for them, but without clear and proven ancestry I can't use them. But this may give me a further clue, so thanks a lot.

Greenvalley

Offline cowleydove

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 23 November 12 04:02 GMT (UK) »
I have been reading your old posts. My information is the Eric Sutherland was the son of William Sutherland and the grandson of James Sutherland (2nd Earl of Duffus).
Steve

Offline cowleydove

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 23 November 12 04:07 GMT (UK) »
Attached are pictures that our family records say are Eric Sutherland and Jane Lawson

Offline JOHughes

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 08:46 GMT (UK) »
My great-great grandmother was Emma Hughes (nee Sutherland) who was originally from Cala, Transkei in South Africa.  Emma was the daughter of Alexander & Catherine Sutherland.  Alexanders' grandfather was Lt. Col. John Sutherland.

Offline greenvalley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 04 February 16 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi JoHughes

Welcome to Rootschat and nice to hear from you. I haven't really pursued the family tree of the Sutherlands in India and South Africa, as they are distant relations of my main Wilson tree. Col John Sutherland was the uncle of Eric Anderson, husband of Agnes Wilson who was the sister of my great grandfather.

However, I did try and are still trying to find a link between these Sutherlands and the ones of Dunrobin Castle, but haven't found any objective source so far. I know that family stories mention the link, but there are no birth/marriage/death certificates or any other official documents to back up those claims. The members of the Anderson family believed there to be a link, Eric Anderson junior even adorned a huge window in his home at Oakbank with the Sutherland crest, but as I mentioned before: I have found no evidence for a family tie.

Some of the other people in this thread are related to you though so I hope they will reply as well and help you to piece your tree together.

If you need any help or further info let me know.

Greenvalley

Offline Richard135

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 01 April 17 05:06 BST (UK) »
Hi JoHughes,
I have just recently learned of the connection to the Knysna Sutherlands, and have gathered a bit of information re the RSA Sutherlands, but certainly by no means comprehensive. On MyHeritage there is an Ian Sutherland who has extensive info particularly in the South African connection.

My personal connection is through my paternal grandmother who's birth name was Sutherland. Only ever know her father as John Sutherland - whom I now believe to be the youngest son of Eric Sutherland and Caroline Rice (wishing to find more information on Caroline but she seems to be a brick wall). Eric was the son of Lt Col. John Sutherland, one of two sons who remained in SA. The other was another John.

In Ian Suthland's myHeritage tree, Your Alexander Sutherland is listed as Eric and Caroline's second oldest son, born in 1854

Offline Wilfred Day

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 05:52 BST (UK) »
I have a lot of Sutherland family information from a Sutherland family site that might help you, but I am more interested in the connection between Lt. Col. John Alexander Sutherland and his brother-in-law Charles Theophilus Metcalfe. Metcalfe married in 1809; how did Sutherland come to marry Ushrut, the younger sister of Metcalfe's wife? Can you message me?