Author Topic: Another newcomer to Irish family research - does Cork City have good resources?  (Read 9648 times)

Offline Sean O Callaghan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Intersting post.  Thanks.

Yes- just checked- It was called 'The sailors' Church'.  It was built in 1723 specifically to provide religious services for the many sailors passing through Cork. According to the excellent Kieran McCarthy's book 'Discover Cork', "In the grounds of the church there is a large number of sailors' graves because one mayor of the city, Edward Brocklesby, granted free burial here to foreign sailors...the stuccowork on the ceiling is reputed to be the work of Italian prisoners of war who were captured during the Napoleonic Wars.  There is an accomplished stained-glass window depicting the Last Supper.  In the vestry are the old wooden stocks once used to hold criminals while a crowd pelted them with rotten fruit." (p. 35)

Neptune- if you can- I would love to see some of those photos!

Ceallachain

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Hi again-

How interesting - such a shame to lose all that history-thanks for letting me know. It would have been lovely to see.

I'll dig out the photos - even though it looks like a building site!! but at least I have something.

I will let you know when I find  the photos ..

Many thanks again

Neptune

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scottcharles

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Another newcomer to Irish family research - does Cork City have good resourc
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 August 07 21:01 BST (UK) »
I'm shocked to hear that Mallow Heritage Centre hasn't been mentioned...That's where all the records are held for Cork mostly :)
http://www.mallowheritagecentre.com/
Mallow is really easy to get to via train from Cork City :) - you can also get a bus from the bus station :)
BARTLETT - Plymouth, Devon
BIRD - Wiltshire, Somerset
BISHOP - Somerset
DESBOROUGH - Surrey?
EMERY - Bedfordshire
HALL - Walworth
HARDISTY - Leeds, Yorkshire
HAYWARD - Southwark, Surrey
LEDAMUN - Spitalfields, Middlesex
MONTAGUE - Bethnal Green, Middlesex
MYNN - Goudhurst, Kent
REYNELL - Newington Surrey
REYNOLDS - Soho, Middlesex
WREN - Midlothian, Scotland, Camberwell

Offline Leofric

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Another newcomer to Irish family research - does Cork City have good resourc
« Reply #12 on: Friday 03 August 07 14:59 BST (UK) »
I'm shocked to hear that Mallow Heritage Centre hasn't been mentioned...That's where all the records are held for Cork mostly :)

Keith may be shocked too - when he sees the exhorbitant fees they charge! ::)

Offline scottcharles

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 03 August 07 15:40 BST (UK) »

Keith may be shocked too - when he sees the exhorbitant fees they charge! ::)

If you're going to pay for a researcher maybe, I believe you can do personal research for free.
BISHOP - Somerset
DESBOROUGH - Surrey?
EMERY - Bedfordshire
HALL - Walworth
MYNN - Goudhurst, Kent

Offline Leofric

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Another newcomer to Irish family research - does Cork City have good resources?
« Reply #14 on: Friday 03 August 07 16:32 BST (UK) »
Scottcharles,

I've just had another look at the site. Nothing is free. There is no mention of 'personal research'.

The very cheapest form of enquiry - say a baptism lookup costs 40 Euros or about £26 in Sterling. Compared with England, that seems a touch expensive to me.

Leofric

Offline scottcharles

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 03 August 07 16:35 BST (UK) »
Scottcharles,

I've just had another look at the site. Nothing is free. There is no mention of 'personal research'.

The very cheapest form of enquiry - say a baptism lookup costs 40 Euros or about £26 in Sterling. Compared with England, that seems a touch expensive to me.

Leofric

I'm only going by what my partner has said and she's from Mallow originally, but it would be worth calling or emailing to check I guess.
BISHOP - Somerset
DESBOROUGH - Surrey?
EMERY - Bedfordshire
HALL - Walworth
MYNN - Goudhurst, Kent

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Another newcomer to Irish family research - does Cork City have good resources?
« Reply #16 on: Friday 03 August 07 16:52 BST (UK) »
Are there no RootsChatters in Cork City or County Cork ??? If there aren't I'll do my best to make contact with Cork people on another site of which I'm a member ... I'll try to make friends with thirty two Irish people on that site ... one for each county. Nothing beats having a local contact. One for each Irish town might be pusing it though.

Offline Sean O Callaghan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 03 August 07 18:04 BST (UK) »
I'm a Corkman, but not there at the mo! However, I do go there quite often.  I know the City very well, the County reasonably well.