Author Topic: Scottish Naming Conventions/1800's  (Read 15317 times)

Offline bsc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish Naming Conventions/1800's
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 01 September 11 22:08 BST (UK) »
Re the naming puzzle. There was a distinct pattern to how children were named in 16th , 17th, 18th and 19th centuries in Scotland - and probably long before that. This makes for easier tracing a family's history - EXCEPT - always that word! - when there was death of a family relative or close friend - then their name was given to the next child born - interrupting the pattern. If anyone does not know this pattern I will willingly email this to you.
Also it was not unknown for someone to die and be given a totally different name at say age 2 or 3. Over the last 40 years I have seen every variation known.

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Helen Cheyne (1863-1952)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 02 September 11 15:39 BST (UK) »
Re the naming puzzle. There was a distinct pattern to how children were named in 16th , 17th, 18th and 19th centuries in Scotland - and probably long before that. This makes for easier tracing a family's history - EXCEPT - always that word! - when there was death of a family relative or close friend - then their name was given to the next child born - interrupting the pattern. If anyone does not know this pattern I will willingly email this to you.
Also it was not unknown for someone to die and be given a totally different name at say age 2 or 3. Over the last 40 years I have seen every variation known.

Hi bsc. I'd love to have the doc outliningnaming conventions. RootsChat requires someone post 3 times in order to do personal messaging (little green scroll under your profile on the left), so thought I'd post the request here so that you can post a few more times & then contact me so I can provide my e-mail.

MACDONALD of Benbecula, Scotland, Earlswood/Wapella Sask
BAIN of Aberdeenshire, Trafford district, Red Jacket and Moosomin, Sask
CHEYNE of Aberdeenshire & Trafford district, Sask
FISHER of Yorkshire, Ontario & Saskatchewan
INKSTER of Shetland, Edinburgh, Sask and BC
GAUNT of Yorkshire, Kent, BC & Australia
KINCH of Ireland, PEI, Ab, Sask
CORCORAN of Ireland, PEI & Sask
GOTZ / GOETZ of Soufflenheim, Alsace & Ont
MITTELHAUSSER of Soufflenheim, Alsace
MULLER or MILLER of Drusenheim, Alsace & Ont

Offline Alvagirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Copied from an ambrotype of unidentified ancestor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 02 September 11 16:27 BST (UK) »
Middle names became more popular towards the end of the 19th century.  It was not unusual to step outwith the traditional Sc naming pattern, middle names were often the name of the laird or an employer, keeping in with the boss. Maybe this is a NE Scotland custom - my father named my brother and me after grandparents, but 3rd child has middle name of his rich great aunt (it worked!) and 4th child includes forename of a colleague who was always good to his family.
I understand that at the first baptism by a new minister, the minister's names were added to the child's.
BTW, a mother would often stick in the surname of the father as a middle name if child illegitimate.

I have a great grandfather George Thom b 1840, cannot find him in OPRs, but illegitimate and been given surname of birth father (as his mother did for the other 3 illegitimate children she had, all by different men).  Married 1867, 2nd son born 1869 was George Scott Troup Thom, informant was father plain GT.  Most later births plain GT except one in 1876 when he is GSTT.  1871 census he is GT and son is George S T Thom Junior; this son dies 1880 and henceforth now consistently uses middle names.

Looks like he added middle names in later life when his job situation improved.  (His mother was Scott, but see no familial connection to Troup.)  Or used it more to in rememberance of the son who died.  Or like first post, it is a plain name - there might be another person similarly named, possible in same area or type of job, and they needed to differentiate.

Have yet to look up Kirk Session records for my naughty GG grandmother!

Hope this helps
Aberdeenshire: GARDEN, BEATTIE, DUNN, DAVIDSON, BRAIK, JAFFRAY; JAMIESON, THOM, HAY, SCOTT
Morayshire: MACKAY, MURRAY, KENNEDY, ROSS, SMITH, MILNE; MORRISON, STEWART, PENNY, DEAN, McCONNACHIE

Offline bsc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 March 12 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Apologies to those waiting for this message - newly back home.
Scotland's naming pattern:
1st son for father's father
1st daughter for mother's mother
2nd son for mother's father
2nd daughter for father's mother
3rd son for father's eldest brother
3rd daughter for mother's eldest sister
4th son for mothers  oldest brother
4th daughter for fathers oldest brother-
And it continues like that - if a death occurs then that person's name will appear next - so the pattern is interrupted which is a nuisance while researching - and occasionally there are two siblings with the same name!!
As the naming goes on it gets less accurate with midwives names and ministers names used - but most often as middle names.
Hope this is helpful.

Offline bsc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 March 12 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Correction to my recent posting re Naming patterns;
4th daughter for father's oldest sister -
and so on.
In my father's family the pattern was reversed - so his mother's dead father was first named - but this is unusual.
Trust this is helpful.

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Helen Cheyne (1863-1952)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 12 March 12 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you bsc. :)
MACDONALD of Benbecula, Scotland, Earlswood/Wapella Sask
BAIN of Aberdeenshire, Trafford district, Red Jacket and Moosomin, Sask
CHEYNE of Aberdeenshire & Trafford district, Sask
FISHER of Yorkshire, Ontario & Saskatchewan
INKSTER of Shetland, Edinburgh, Sask and BC
GAUNT of Yorkshire, Kent, BC & Australia
KINCH of Ireland, PEI, Ab, Sask
CORCORAN of Ireland, PEI & Sask
GOTZ / GOETZ of Soufflenheim, Alsace & Ont
MITTELHAUSSER of Soufflenheim, Alsace
MULLER or MILLER of Drusenheim, Alsace & Ont

Offline bsc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 12 March 12 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks -
A quick browse at the links was interesting - will read more closely tonight.. this is my favourite reading!
 The naming pattern I submitted is, or I should say was, a very closely adhered to pattern in the Highlands of Scotland where I grew up. I have researched many of the families in my small town and they mostly followed it to the letter.
My husband came from a city (Glasgow)  in south of Scotland and their family pattern is identical - and his family goes back into the early 1700's following the same pattern - which I found interesting.
One comment I read briefly on a link was the insertion of Mother/ Father name as 3rd daughter/son name on the list - and I have come across this occasionally -
I am interested to know if Irish families followed any pattern - I am researching my ggg grandparents but having great difficulty. Would love to hear from someone on this.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 12 March 12 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi  :)

I think the Irish conventions were the same as the Scottish ones:

http://www.ballyd.com/results/namingpatterns.htm

I'm sure there will be a thread/threads on them on the Irish boards

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,50.0.html

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***