Author Topic: Folly Road, Blyth  (Read 15194 times)

Offline kathboon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Folly Road, Blyth
« on: Saturday 02 June 07 14:35 BST (UK) »
Folly Road is now Park Road, Blyth.  Has anyone any idea why it was called Folly Road in the first place?

When I was younger my grandmother used to tell up that one of her relations tried to see if there was coal on Crofton field without success and it was commonly called Donkin's Folly.  A couple of years ago I traced a family member who understood that a rope works was built beside Crofton Field and this belonged to the Donkin's.

Anybody any clues  ???

Kath
Heywood - Lancashire
Broadfield - Staffs & Lancashire
Donkin - Stannington, Blyth, America, Canada
Lumsden - Blyth
Johnson - Wallsend, Blyth
Her(r)on - Blyth

Offline Northerngirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Folly Road, Blyth
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 June 07 19:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Kathboon.

I have just read your posting and thought I'd reply.

I wonder if Folly Road got its name from a nearby folly.  A folly, as you may well know is a building or structure that was build seemingly for no particular purpose other than to reflect a landowner's wealth.  I know that there used to be an old castle in the farm at Horton near Laverick Hall.  Though they are some distance from one another there may have been some sort of reason.  Also, have you considered looking at old-maps.co.uk which gives maps for the mid 1800's.  I wonder also if you can date Park Road which I assume is probably near Ridley Park and then investigate from there.  Blyth Library has a good local history section and the people there may be able to help.  I know that they have a card system that would be used to check if any information on Folly Road was available.

Yours J.A.
SCOTLAND
KBC interests - Murray and Shaw: Blacklock and Kirkland.
DMS interests - as KBC.

ENGLAND
Northumberland
Murray: > 1920 in Longbenton/Forest Hall; Howick 1920's
Elliott: North Nbld 1800's
Straughan/Straphen: North Nbld 1800's and 1910's/1920's Craster.
Henderson(nee Elliott)/Brodie Haydon Bridge 1900's
Bell (nee Elliott) Christon Bank/Embleton 1900's

IRELAND
County Mayo
Mills: Erris Head and Gortmellia
Mullarky: as same
Ginnelly: as same

Offline kathboon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 June 07 19:19 BST (UK) »
Hi J.A.
I hadn't thought of going down to the library to check this out, but as I work full time I can only get there on a Saturday.  Will try then.
Kath
Heywood - Lancashire
Lumsden - Blyth
Her(r)on - Blyth

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 June 07 21:38 BST (UK) »
The FOLLY.

Blyth today is dry. But it was a very wet place before the banks of the River Blyth were as well defined and controlled as they are now.

( To cut a long story short look at the maps on
communities.northumberland.gov.uk
>Blyth>Plans>Ordnance Maps, especially Armstrong's 1769, Fryer's 1820, Greenwood's 1828, to see various streams running through Blyth)

A tidal river/stream/burn called the Gut virtually split what is modern-day Blyth into two.

Broadly speaking it ran northwards from about Plessey Waggonway ( now Plessey Road) between Beaconsfield St and Croft Road, to run through what is now the Bus Station,
through the old Gas Works and into the River Blyth.

(The Gut marked the boundary between the ancient parishes of Horton and Earsdon)

At high tide a wide area was under water, at low tide the Gut was narrow, but the area was messy.

Trivia Angle... Where the pedestrian road crossing is today ( adjacent to PoundStretcher or Blockbuster,)  there once was a bridge to allow a dry crossing of the Gut.
----------------------------------------------------------

At various sites in and around Blyth there were Salt Pans activity ( boiling sea water to produce salt) Cambois, High Ferry, South Blyth.

What was Crofton Field ( near Plessey Rd/Park Road) was filled twice a day with sea water from the River Blyth.

An entrepreneur decided to start salt production on the site.

Unfortunately it was not a success because the water had travelled so far from the river over shallow land, and most of the salt content was dissipated before it reached his boiling pans at Crofton.

So the area became known as "The Folly" , then the road got the name Folly Road, later changed to Park Road.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

This info from Bob Balmer, connected with Blyth Library.
----------------------------------------------------------

Today Union Street marks where the Gut flowed.

Misc. In the vicinity of the Folly there were two roperies.

Michael Dixon
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline kathboon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 June 07 19:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that information Michael.
Kath
Heywood - Lancashire
Lumsden - Blyth
Her(r)on - Blyth

Offline Pete E

• RootsChat Member
  • Man in his natural environment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 July 07 12:21 BST (UK) »
There is a photograph of a flooded Folly (Park) Road in the following book. Balmer R (1983) Blyth in Old Picture Postcards. 3rd edition. Zaltbommel/Netherlands: European Library.

And a fine picture of the Waterloo Bridge over the "Gut" can be found in, Hogg W ed. (1957) The Story of Blyth, A Short History. Originally published by The Northern Press the book was republished by, McCall's Bookshop in Blyth where I obtained my copy a few years back.

Northumberland; Mann, Lynn, Waters, Pyle, Murray.   Yorkshire; Ellis, Heckison, Proctor.<br />Lincolnshire; Wilkinson, Dawson.<br />Cumberland; Doran, Murray. Cheshire; Sutton,

Offline Bill_r

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 September 10 20:09 BST (UK) »
Folly Road, Blyth.

Names.
Anderson, Balmer, Bell, Bulmer, Burn, Cowan, Ferguson, Easton, Elliott, Heir, Hunter, Johnstone, Leadbitter, Riley, McMenan.

Places.
Ashington, Blyth, Gateshead, Hirst, Leeds, Middlesbrough, Newcastle, North Shields, Ryhope, South Shields, Tweedmouth, Whitehaven, Ireland.

Offline Mr. Tibbs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 October 10 13:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the pic of the former Folly Road, one of my ancestors lived there.

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 October 10 20:27 BST (UK) »
Interesting information, re Folly Road, Blyth. Born and bred in Blyth, but never knew it existed.  I came across its name when searching for a relative who came from Denmark and settled in Blyth.  He was a seafarer.  I found reference to his naturalization notice printed in the London Gazette, dated 1900.  His address was shown as Folly Road. At what period in time was Folly Road changed to Park Road ?  Jump forward 40 years+ and I used to visit other relatives with my father.  They were his aunts, and they lived in Park Road, Blyth.  And my father worked at Crofton Pit until it closed.  Re the Danish connection- I have been trying to find out about a ship "The Flush" or "Flush" which was lost in the Baltic in 1919-20. One of the crew was Frederick Ravenburn.  He may have served in the R.N. in the First World War, and after getting through that lost his life when his ship went down.  The ship may also have sailed from Blyth on its last journey. Any information would be welcome.