Author Topic: thomas ker  (Read 3476 times)

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
thomas ker
« on: Sunday 03 June 07 12:49 BST (UK) »
This is my first communication, please forgive any it .mistakes as i am anovice.Thomas Ker was born circa 1780, he married Mary Slater in Annan in the year 1805. They had George born 1817 ,James born 1811, Jean Millar born 1807,Mary born 1806 and Martha born 1820 they were all born in Annan with the exception of Martha who was born in Dumfries. I presume Thomas was born near Annan to have met and married Mary living and working in Annan. I cannot identify which Thomas Ker my ancestor is any ideas please?.

Moderator comment: topics merged, as they seem to relate to the same Thomas

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Thomas Ker
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 June 07 13:37 BST (UK) »
Second com. Thomas left Annan and farmed at the Stoop just outside Dumfries. He lived there until his death in 1837 ,unfortunately he died during an epidemic in Dumfries and his burial details appear not to have been registered because of mass burials. His widow Mary took up a farm with a daughter Mary at Doweel on the Goldielea estate outside Cargenbridge. One of her sons James farmed at Newbridge Terregles, James was married to Sarah Pattie Phillips, James Kerr had at least 10 children and the Kerr family lived in Newbridge for over a 100 years until the nineteen sixties.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: thomas ker
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 June 07 16:01 BST (UK) »
Hello stoop

Wecome to Rootschat  :)

It's always difficult to identify ancestors when one goes back to the 18th century and further. One of the first ways is to list his children in birth order and see if the names conform to the Scottish naming conventions:

couple's first son - after male's father
couple's second son - after female's father
couple's third son - after male

couple's first daughter - after female's mother
couple's second daughter after male's mother
couple's third daughter - after female

The only other way is to attempt to follow each possible to see if some died young, etc.

Regards

Gadget  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 June 07 16:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply,and your advice. I have gathered a lot of material regarding Thomas Ker children. I know who they are, their birth dates,marriage details and of their children .I have accumulated census copies charting their movements.Going back further is the objective, finding out who T.K parents were. Any further advice will be appreciated.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 June 07 16:36 BST (UK) »
If you could list the names of his children in birth order here and also the names of his wife's parents, it might help us identify  his possible parents. Also, did he have any brothers or sisters who died 1855 or afterwards?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 June 07 19:02 BST (UK) »
Good evening Gadget, Mary Slater was the wife of Thomas Ker,her father was Daniel Slater he died in 1802 at the age of 50. Daniels wife was Marion Milligan she died in 1828 aged 81. Mary was living in Annan in 1811. In the old parish records the Slater family are living in Urr, Mary however was baptised Troqueer. Her family then moved back to Urr where they are buried. Thomas and Mary had the following children in order they were Mary born 19/1/1806 in Annan, Jean Millar born 27/7/1807 in Annan,James born 16/7/1811 in Annan, George born 14/9/1817 inAnnan and Martha born 26/8/1820 in Dumfries at the Stoop does this help, thanks Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 June 07 20:48 BST (UK) »
Hello again Stoop  :)

I've been doing some investigations on your family. Could you confirm the following

Thomas Ker(r) b.c. 1780 m. 1st Jan 1805, Mary Slater, Annan. Mary Slater - parents  Daniel Slater and Marion Milligan

Children of Thomas and Mary
:

1806 - Mary
1807- Jean Millar
1811 - James
(1817 - George - you mention - I can't find)
1820 - Martha

all b. Annan except Martha - b. Dumfries

Slater:

Daniel Slater  and Marion  Milligan

Children:

20 Oct 1780 - George (Troqueer)
13 Jan 1783 - George (Troqueer)
13 Jan 1783 - Mary (Troqueer)
21 May 1795 - Margaret (Troqueer)
16 Jan 1786 - Thomas Gordon (Buittle)

From MI (Urr) also son John b.c. 1777. Daniel Slater d. 1802 aged 50.  Marion Milligan d. 1828 aged 84.

Thomas Ker(r)

The most likely from OPRs are:

1773, Torthowald to James Ker
1780, Dalton, to George Ker and Margaret Harkness

However, Thomas's baptism might not have been recorded for a variety of reasons - missing, not recorded because of an entry tax, not Church of Scotland, etc.

Gadget

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 June 07 09:46 BST (UK) »
Much obliged Gadget, I can confirm the details in your com. .Ihad listed the two as possible candidates I am pleased that you have confirmed the most likely parents of Thomas Ker. I was not aware of an entry tax,I will search for details about the Torthorwald Dalton connection.I already have connections in Mousewald andTorthorwald,thank you for your time and trouble.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 June 07 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Stoop

Information about the fees/tax can be found here:

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?448

In particular:

Not every event was actually recorded - many people simply did not bother, particularly if they had to pay a fee (or tax as was the case 1783-1794).

Gadget