Author Topic: FIDDES/FIDELES,GEORGE c 1800 Hawick,Rox.  (Read 4345 times)

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
FIDDES/FIDELES,GEORGE c 1800 Hawick,Rox.
« on: Monday 04 June 07 03:53 BST (UK) »
Hi all...I have a GEORGE FIDDES/FIDELES born c1800.
In 1858 he was a Wool Spinner and  appears to have been married to an ELIZABETH KERSWELL/KERSEL.

There is a son born c1834,named ADAM FIDDES.
His death cert states he died Jan 24 1858 and that he was only 24 years old and a Wool Spinner
He was married but no name of wife given.
They lived at Weensland in Hawick.
At this point his Mother ELIZABETH KERSWELL/KERSEL was dec'.
He,ADAM is buried at Wilton Churchyard.
The cert was signed by his father GEORGE FIDELES.
It is the KERSWELL / KERSEL. that I am really interested in at this point.
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FIDDES/FIDELES,GEORGE c 1800 Hawick,Rox.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 July 07 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Just noticed your interests list showing Armstrong & Fiddes (among others). This is a long shot, but I have a Christian Fiddes in Bedfordshire Armstrong tree. My surname is Armstrong, & my earliest proven roots are in Riseley, Bedfordshire. From this source, I have a Thomas Armstrong marrying a Christian(a) Fiddes(s) in 1766.
A memorial inscriprion shows she was born about 1727. The only girl of that name & year is from Maxton, Rox. Family folklore claims we have the Border/Reiver roots but I can't prove it!
I wonder if your Armstrong/Fiddes links show anuy common ground?
Cheers,
Bob in a very wet England!
Armstrongs of   Bedfordshire, England & Canonbie ,Scotland

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 July 07 15:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob...what I posted is all I know on the name Fiddes and that was only by Chance that I found that death cert...sorry..but I was searching for Kersel/Kersal,or how ever they decided to spell it at that time and sometimes with luck going sideways on research can bring interesting results.
Both names are quite unusual,so maybe with luck they will be others that see our post and have further info...
This is a great site and soooo many are sooooo helpful.....Ann
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 July 07 18:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ann,
It's surprising how lateral thinking often gets results.
Happy hunting!
Bob

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 July 07 19:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob...going through some old tucked away material and came across this,why I had it I do not know but it is interesting.
This is the birth cert of Margaret Fiddler born July 13 1855 in Hawick.
Her father was Joseph Fiddler 28 yrs and a Wool Spinner,born Whitehouse Cumberland,marr 1854 Hawick,Rox.
Her mother was ANNE FIDDES (maiden surname SCOON) age 35 yrs old and Margaret was her 4th child.
Anne was born  at Branseholm OR Brauseholm Town (hard to read) Hawick Rox.
So it appears that she was a Scoon then married a  --?-- FIDDES and then marr Joseph Fiddler.
Thought you could use the Fiddes info....Ann

Offline castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 July 07 19:54 BST (UK) »
Yhanks Ann,
There seem to be more about than I thought!
Cheers,
Bob

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 July 07 21:57 BST (UK) »

Could Branseholm OR Brauseholm Town be Branxholmtown?

Branxholm Catle is abour 3 mles SW of Hawick by the side of the River Teviot.   Branxholmtwon is abot a halh mile to the West of the Tower.   Grid Reference  NT 457 118

Regards
Reiver

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 July 07 22:23 BST (UK) »
Yes...I believe that you are right...because I could not decipher the writing ,I then decided to go search for the place...and...that was what I came up with as well.
...Branxholm..thanks