Author Topic: Thomson - Duntocher  (Read 24314 times)

Offline allan.coyle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomson - Duntocher
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 12:02 BST (UK) »
The building lay derelict for years and was more officially known as old Mill Lodge.
The Farmer used it for many years for storing potatoes.

This info was from my grandfather William John Connelly, who also knows the woman in the photograph, Annie McBride. He was good pals with a "Birdy" Mcbride who he believes was her slightly younger brother.
He mentioned she moved to davies square.

Could you clear up the real name of "Birdie" McBride ?

Offline Helen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 21:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Allan,
James McBride was indeed known as "Birdie", I have no idea why, but I'll try to find out.
I wonder how many other people from my family your grandfather might remember.  Annie & James were my 1st cousins from my mother's side - Stewarts (a pretty big family!!).
Helen
Scotland: Cuthbertson, Mochan, Stewart, Murray, McLure, Lynch.  England: Maughan, Porter, Johnston, Dale

Offline Renabarron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 06 October 14 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hi there.  I had a lovely surprise last week when I discovered you were tracing the family tree.

I am John Thomson and Catherine Muir's grandaughter, daughter of Robert Thomson. I am also Catherine Muir. My mother and father lived all their married lives in Hardgate with their four daughters still living in Hardgate and nearby.

I remember my Grandpa Thomson very well. I have many happy memories visiting his home in Beeches Avenue and Morrison Street in Duntocher.  My Gradpa worked in John Browns shipyard until he retired.  Unfortunately I was only six months old when my Grandmother died.  I have often wondered about the Muirs in Alness. I am sure there must be cousins or second cousins still staying there.  I knew most of my fathers brothers and sisters except Isabella who lived a distance away and Elizabeth who lived abroad.  Thank you for all the research you have done, it brings back a lot of memories. If I can help you in any way about the family background please ask.

Regards

Rena Barron

Offline griogair

• RootsChat Extra
  • Great-grandfather John Thomson (b.1877) Duntocher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 12:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Rena,
It's really great to hear from you. I am Greg John Thomson.  I live in in the Isle of Skye but my dad, John, is still in Duntocher/Hardgate, in Antonine Gardens, just behind Fallone's. He had a sister, Helen or Eleanor, who died in 1994. They are the children of John Thomson, your dad's brother. My grandparents lived all of their married life in Auchentoshan Avenue. My Auntie Eleanor lived at the corner of Beeches Road and Beeches Terrace.  I have birth, death and marriage certificates and a Thomson family tree going back to 1770 if you don't have any of this already. I've had to piece together all of my info from scratch as my dad isn't really into family history. I also have a few Thomson photographs that you may be interested in. I've also just remembered that I think I have an original certificate or document that has your dad's name on it - I'll look it out for you - if my memory serves me right it's a policy taken out by your grandparents when your dad  was born. I have no idea how I managed to come into possession of it! You may have seen the other group photos that I posted on this website a few years ago of what appears to be the Hardgate Quoiting club featuring my Granda T and his brothers. I can send you higher resolution copies if they are of interest. I also have a copy of an article about your Grampa Thomson/my great-grampa Thomson that featured in the Clydebank Press in the late 50s. I can send you this also if you don't have it. The one question I would like to ask you is do you have a photograph of your Granny Thomson or have you ever seen one of her? She is the one person in my family tree who I would really love to see a photo of. Or any other photos of your Grampa Thomson? I only have one proper photo of him and a very very grainy copy of the photograph that appeared with his article in the Clydebank Press. I'd love to hear of any info that you have on the Thomsons.
Very best wishes,
Greg
Thomson - Duntocher<br />MacKay/McKay - Ness - Isle of Lewis, Tradeston, Dalmuir<br />Gillan - Cavan, Duntocher<br />Crerar - Loch Tay, Perthshire<br />Muir - Allness, Ross-shire<br />Speed - Campbeltown<br />Boden - Ayrshire, Duntocher<br />McQuiston - Ayrshire

Offline Renabarron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Greg

Thank you for your recent post.

You were saying your Dad stayed in Antonine Gardens. I remember my Mother and Father attending your parents wedding. I also remember your Aunt Eleanor. I am sure when my own Mum and Dad got married my Father lived in Carleith Avenue and my Mother lived in Beeches Avenue.  I went to school at Duntocher Primary and then Clydebank High.

My Father went to Hardgate Quioting club all his adult life until it finished up. I don't have any of the photographs or certificates you have mentioned. I would be grateful if you could send copies to me. I don't have any photos of Great Granny Thomson. I am sure the relations came down to visit from Alness. I am sure there must be some relations still there. My Grandparents had a lot of Grandchildren. There must be a lot of offspring around. There is still a cousin in Beeches Avenue. My Fathers sister, Catherine's daughter.  I will try to find out, maybe she could have photographs.

You are living in Skye, have you been there a long time? It must be nice and peaceful there. If you come down to visit your Dad you are welcome to visit me.  I live in Linvale, Clydebank.

Best Regards

Rena

Offline griogair

• RootsChat Extra
  • Great-grandfather John Thomson (b.1877) Duntocher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rena,

Sorry to have taken so long to reply to you. It was really lovely to hear from you. I will gather together what I can for you - photos, documents, etc.

It would be great to find out some more about any relatives in Alness who might still be around. It is only a couple of hours away from me by car so if I can find some time in the new year I will maybe go over and see if there is any local information I can find.

I'll hopefully be coming down to Duntocher and Clydebank sometime in the New Year so it would be great to meet you then if possible. I would also love to meet Catherine's daughter in Duntocher if that was possible. I know that Catherine and my gran were good friends. I don't think I've ever met anyone from my granda's extended family so it would be really nice to meet you.

I see what you mean about your grandparents having a lot of grandchildren. From my family tree I can see that there were at least 20 grandchildren, who will nearly all have grandchildren themselves now.

Also I had a question for you. In a newspaper article I have on your grandpa Thomson it states that he had 4 boys and 4 girls. I have only been able to trace the 4 boys (Allan, Alex, John and Robert) and 3 of the girls (Isabella, Elizabeth and Catherine). You wouldn't happen to know the name of the other daughter? It's been puzzling me for a while.

Anyway I'll see what info I can find for you that you may be interested in.

Best wishes,
Greg
Thomson - Duntocher<br />MacKay/McKay - Ness - Isle of Lewis, Tradeston, Dalmuir<br />Gillan - Cavan, Duntocher<br />Crerar - Loch Tay, Perthshire<br />Muir - Allness, Ross-shire<br />Speed - Campbeltown<br />Boden - Ayrshire, Duntocher<br />McQuiston - Ayrshire

Offline JOAN MCB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 15 March 15 19:42 GMT (UK) »
ANNIE MCBRIDE IS MY AUNT.  SHE WAS MY FATHER JAMES MCBRIDE SISTER.
I am new to this site and trying to find my way around.  Correct James and Ann McBride are my parents.  Did you know that Aunt Annie passed away last year?  What country do you live in?

Offline Helen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 15 March 15 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joan, lovely to hear from you. :)  My mother, Chrissie Stewart was your granny Emily Stewart's younger sister.  So you are the daughter of James & Ann - correct? 
Scotland: Cuthbertson, Mochan, Stewart, Murray, McLure, Lynch.  England: Maughan, Porter, Johnston, Dale

Offline JOAN MCB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 16 March 15 12:02 GMT (UK) »
You are right Helen.  James and Ann McBride are my parents