Author Topic: Thomson - Duntocher  (Read 24272 times)

Offline allan.coyle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomson - Duntocher
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 August 08 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie,

This is the best picture of the "Jenny/Gennie hoos" that I have seen.
I grew up in the flat in the background (9 Old St). My fathers uncle came over from Derry to check out the family history. They are also registered at this address. I have an older B&W photo of the house circa 1950. I will send this on to him if thats ok.
Do you have any more info on this place, from what I hear it wasnt a very nice place to stay.

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Gretta Coyle 1924 - 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 August 08 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,

No, I don't really know troo much more about the Jenny House, except that my Stewarts lived there for many years.  Of course it's OK for you to send this along to your great Uncle!  Sharing is what we are all about here!   :)

If you can upload the black and white photo you have, I'm sure all of us Duntocher researchers would love to see it!

Deb
Stewart, Moore, Murray, McLure, Beaton, McIntyre, Sinclair, Barr, Burnside, Welsh, Barker, McGibbon, Harrison, Gallacher/Gallagher, Hedley

Offline Helen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 21 September 08 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Allan,
My Mother grew up in the Jenny 'hoose'.  There were 14 kids in the family, and never a dull moment.
That's her niece (my cousin) sitting on the wall in front of it in the photo cousin Deb posted.
Helen
Scotland: Cuthbertson, Mochan, Stewart, Murray, McLure, Lynch.  England: Maughan, Porter, Johnston, Dale

Offline allan.coyle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 11:00 BST (UK) »
Hi guys

Finally finished Uni and have started looking up my family tree.

Here is a pic of the gennie hoose on its last legs in 1965 taken from my old house at 9 old st.

My family that stayed there were named Rooney, not Coyle.

I am now staying back in the village, so if you need any photos or info from some of my older family members give me a shout

cheers

AC

Offline winniep

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 17:40 BST (UK) »
Hi guys

Finally finished Uni and have started looking up my family tree.

Here is a pic of the gennie hoose on its last legs in 1965 taken from my old house at 9 old st.

My family that stayed there were named Rooney, not Coyle.

I am now staying back in the village, so if you need any photos or info from some of my older family members give me a shout

cheers

AC

Offline winniep

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 17:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

Saw your picture on line my grandfather used to live there. Could you clear something up why was it called the jennie hoos?

Regards

Winniep

Offline Helen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 21:47 BST (UK) »
Wonderful photo Allan, thank you so much.  I grew up hearing about the Jenny Hoose, but the only photo I had was the one Deb posted.  This one is so graphic, kind of sad, but lovely to have.  Thanks for sharing,
Helen
Scotland: Cuthbertson, Mochan, Stewart, Murray, McLure, Lynch.  England: Maughan, Porter, Johnston, Dale

Offline allan.coyle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

Not sure how it was pronounced or spelled. It could have been full of daddy long legs ("Jeeny" long legs) or an old tale of a Genie from a lamp, or could have housed a woman called Jean ??

Its an amazing part of the village still, you can walk down the old st(Burnbrea, cobbles still visible) and see the old mill in ruins at the bottom. Not much left of it but the huge tunnel the burn runs under gives an idea of the scale of the origional mill. Once a very important part of the community.

"Duntocher Mill spanned the Duntocher Burn to the north of the Great Western Road Bridge. It was built in 1786 for the manufacture of coarse woollens, but it did not prosper and was unoccupied when William Dunn purchased it in 1808. Dunn converted it to produce cotton goods but, like his other mills, it ran into trouble in the 1860s when supplies of raw cotton dried up during the American Civil War. It continued under different owners, making yarn and thread until the 1920s."

I would imagine the Genny Houses were built for the workers of this mill or the Iron works situated at the other end of Burnbrea.

I will get on to My old Granda who has a wealth of local knowledge.

Speak to you soon

AC

Offline winniep

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 14:21 BST (UK) »
thanks allan

I know exactly where you are talking about as I live in the village, it would be interesting to know anything as I am working on my family tree at the moment
and any information would be appreiciated

Regards

Winniep :)