Author Topic: Anyone going to Hunts RO  (Read 11603 times)

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Anyone going to Hunts RO
« on: Monday 04 June 07 15:19 BST (UK) »
I know this is a bit of a nerve, wndering if anyone ever goes to Hunts RO, could spent a little while looking for a Godmanchester baptism for me?

Let me know of you can

Thanks

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline DaveT

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me many years ago
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone going to Hunts RO
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 June 07 23:03 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping to be going this week but can't say for deffinate.  Let me know what you want and I'll do my best. 

Dave
Bury. Lancs Taylor Kenyon:  Surrey. Bruce:  London. Cristoe: Yorks W Riding. Woodcock, Liversidge: Shrops. Escott, Davies, Jones,  Mansell.  Hunts: Bath, Shepherd. Lincs: Toyn, Towell, Kingswood, Brumpton.  Sussex:  Wood,  Gibson, Silvester, Hampshire: Silvester

Offline g a r

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 June 07 23:42 BST (UK) »
Gentlemen, may I join the queue?

If time permits, may I ask for two lookups?

1 The birth of Mary Ives sometime in 1825 +/- 1 year at Hemmingford Grey. Daughter of Thomas Ives (occupation sawyer or wheelwright) and Rebecca

2 The birth of Rhoda Ives (Mary's sister) at Ellingtonthorpe in 1827 +/-1 year. Same parents.

thankyou for your consideration,
g a r

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 June 07 10:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks DaveT

I am looking for baptism of Jane Bull born abt 1793 or 1794

Censuses give her birth as Godmanchester

It would be fantastic if you were able to find this

Thanks

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire

Offline DaveT

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me many years ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 June 07 11:38 BST (UK) »
I'll try my best

By the way I am looking into the Bull family too.  No idea where mine are from tho.  I'm researching the Shepherd family from Eynesbury, James married Sarah Bull in 1755 Eynesbury.  It's so hard researching Hunts due to the local Bishop not giving permission to have parish records published.  This will be my first attempt at research not done on the internet so I have a lot to get through before the wife gets bored.
Regards
Dave
Bury. Lancs Taylor Kenyon:  Surrey. Bruce:  London. Cristoe: Yorks W Riding. Woodcock, Liversidge: Shrops. Escott, Davies, Jones,  Mansell.  Hunts: Bath, Shepherd. Lincs: Toyn, Towell, Kingswood, Brumpton.  Sussex:  Wood,  Gibson, Silvester, Hampshire: Silvester

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 June 07 14:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks

I had a visit there scheduled, but I cancelled it as my dad had a medical issue

Bob

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 June 07 14:50 BST (UK) »
It's odd Dave as there's no 1755 marriage between James Shepherd and Sarah Bull in Hunts Marriage Index. Where did you find this marriage?

It wasn't so much that the bishop refused permission to have the PRs published, but rather that he refused permission for the LDS to film many of the parishes within his patch.

Bear in mind that whilst Hunts is pretty thin on the ground on the IGI there are more parishes extracted onto the BVRI, and the NBI is actually pretty good for Hunts. Check also Hunts FHS website which includes their list of transcriptions available on Fiche, including the invaluable Marriage Index, the coverage for which seems to be complete

Enjoy Huntingdon

Regards

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline DaveT

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me many years ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 June 07 15:03 BST (UK) »
Hi David
Thanks for the info.  Made a mistake on the marriage date should have been 1787.  Someone sent me a list of marriages in Eynesbury and a list of burials.  8 weddings and plenty of burials going back to 1704.  The baptisms I'm more interested in at the moment.

Hope to get as much done as I can and looking forward to the experience.  I have no Ancestors to search for in Manchester, they're all in the far reaches of the country.
Cheers
Dave

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 June 07 15:19 BST (UK) »
I can see the marriage now!

Somebody in Huntingdon might well describe Manchester as being in the far reaches of the country!

And as for poor old GAR in Manitoba EVERYBODY describes him as being in the far reaches of Canada.

Hope you have a successful trip, and that it's stopped raining in England

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd