Author Topic: WALLACE, Robert  (Read 7706 times)

Offline karendankar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WALLACE, Robert
« on: Wednesday 06 June 07 21:19 BST (UK) »
I am searching for any family information regarding my great grandfather, Robert WALLACE.  He was born abt. 1825.  Came to the US abt 1839 through Canada.  On his gravestone it reads: Native of Belleshannon, Co Leitrim, Ireland.  I have not been able to find much.  Family rumors he converted to Catholicism when he married my great grandmother.  Other than that, there is nothing more to give in details.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Karen
WALLACE-Leitrum

Offline RonnieG

• RootsChat Senior
  • My gr.gr.gr.............gr.grandfather
    • View Profile
Re: WALLACE, Robert
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 June 07 22:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen and welcome to Rootschat.

I think that the placename as inscribed on the headstone should read Ballyshannon. There is no place in Ireland called Belleshannon that I can find. The one time it is mentioned in a trancription of an "official document" it is referred to again as Ballyshannon in the same paragraph.

A search for Wallace in Griffiths Valuation of 1847-64 for Co. Leitrim gives several hits but none in Ballyshannon.

Assuming Robert is a hereditary name there are 5 hits in Griffiths which probaly refer to just 3 individuals and they all live in the parish of Cloonclare, 4 hits in the townland of Tullyskeherny and 1 in Manorhamilton.

Good luck in your search,

RonnieG
Dyer - Paignton Devon
Rhodes - Wistow, Yorkshire
Moorman- Isle of Wight
Oliver - Surrey
White & Delaney - Dublin
Acres & Jackson- Tipperary & Offaly
Dowling & Mullane - Limerick
Ryan - Kildare
Heron - Down
Woods - Tipperary

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 June 07 02:30 BST (UK) »
Hiya Karen,

Welcome to RootsChat.

What faith were the Wallace family.

I've found a query on RootsWeb.com about Robert Wallace from Ballyshannon.

If you haven't already had a look at the sources for the eighteenth century that might help you find some members of the Wallace family in Co. Leitrim. The Irish Flax Growers List showed there were Wallaces in Donegal but none in Leitrim. 

Books of Survey and Distributions c. 1700
Catholic Qualification Rolls 1778 - 1793
Convert Rolls 1704-1839
Electors Rolls 1761
Estate Records and Marriage Licence Bonds
Flax Growers List 1796
Freeholders entitled to vote 1770
Grand Jurors and Books of Presentiments
Militia Lists 1761
Oath of Allegiance 1775
Poll Books 1752
Proprietors of land circa 1700 list
Protestant Householders 1740 list.
Register of Freeholders 1758
Return of Householders 1766
State prisoners 1798
Voters Lists 1727-1793

Christopher

Offline karendankar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 June 07 17:08 BST (UK) »
:D  Thanks for the suggestions!!  I was the person that started that WALLACE request way back in 2001.  I have been looking for Mr. Wallace well before that and so Has a 2nd cousin.  He went to Ireland and even hired a researcher.  Have not found a thing.  We are not sure what his "actual" religion was really, just"converted to Catholicism" is all we have from one of the only surviving granddaughter of his that was reared by his wife, her grandmother.  Unfortunately, she is no longer with us.  My grandfather also knew his grandmother, Robert's wife, but not that well as his father did not get along well with his step-father!!  I am sure he comes from Co Leitrum, his wife was also born in Ireland and I'm sure she would have known that.  Of course, between the parishes, congregations, and Poor Unions Law, I may never find this family!!!  Rumor has it, the entire family, Robert, siblings and parents, that we know about, left Ireland and landed in Canada.  Cannot get any info there as Canada did not keep records until later.  Do know that Robert ran away from his indentured family when he was 14, 1839, and ended up in Iowa and marrying Margaret Frances KNOWLES whose family came from County Laois.
I have had a search done through the Presbyterians as there was a rumor his father was a minister, but no such luck.  I have searched through County Donegal records and came up empty.  I hoped I would hit a spot of luck through this website!! 
Inscription on his gravestone:  "A native of the city Belleshannon" I'm sure it is Ballyshannon as that is the only "name" that appears to be close.  I hope this may help someone tell/find something for me to go on.

Thanks muchly,
Karen
WALLACE-Leitrum

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 June 07 18:02 BST (UK) »
Hiya Karen,

"Converted to Catholicism" definitely means Robert was non Catholic. The leading contenders would be the Established Church which was Anglican / CoI or Presbyterian. There's been a Presbyterian congregation in Ballyshannon since 1674.

If Robert's family travelled to Canada why was he with an indentured family? That makes no sense to me.
I could understand him being indentured to a family in Canada if he'd travelled on his own.

Christopher   

Offline karendankar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 June 07 18:11 BST (UK) »
Hiya Christopher,

That is a good question, wish I had an answer.  Like I said, everything I know about him, came by word of mouth from someone who is no longer here.  Could it have been possible for a 14 yr old to travel alone back then??  I have no clue.  I am attaching a photo of his gravestone.  Maybe we aren't reading it correctly, I don't know??  It has been such a brickwall for so long and you know a true genealogist never gives in to a brickwall!!!  Thanks for trying to help me out!!   ;D

Karen (or as my grandfather used to call me, Katarine)
WALLACE-Leitrum

Offline karendankar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 August 07 20:49 BST (UK) »
I have done more searching for this Robert WALLACE!!!  Possibly, could he be from Ballymore, Rossinver, County Leitrum????
 :-\
WALLACE-Leitrum

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 August 07 21:48 BST (UK) »
Without more information it will, as you know, be very difficult to find any trace of Robert Wallace in Ireland. If he was Protestant the most likely possiblities are Presbyterian, Church of Ireland or Methodist.
If the family put his birthplace in Ireland on the gravestone there are probably details in U.S. or Canada which might help. You didn't mention when and where Robert died but what about census records? local newspaper obituary? naturalisation records?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline karendankar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 August 07 22:41 BST (UK) »
I have checked everything there is to check in the USA, I have naturalization papers, marriage record, census forms and his gravestone.  There is nothing else, I have checked with the Presbyterian records, PRONI.  All I know is what is on his gravestone shown above:

Balleshannon, County Leitrum, Ireland

I have been given many suggestions, thanks to all.  What I am now saying, I believe, is this possibly his townland???

Ballymore, Rossinver, Leitrum, IRE
WALLACE-Leitrum