Author Topic: 1901 Cavan census - Knocknalosset (Knockbride parish) - LUCAS  (Read 14898 times)

Offline Trix

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1901 Cavan census - Knocknalosset (Knockbride parish) - LUCAS
« on: Friday 08 June 07 07:38 BST (UK) »
Dear List,
Does anyone have access to, or advice on, searching the 1901 census for Cavan?  Even just a list of which DED area covers Knockbride area would be helpful.

Are any of the earlier censuses available for Cavan (I am aware there is only sketchy coverage for some years / counties)

I am looking for the family of John William LUCAS b. abt 1850 who was a farmer in Knocknalosset, his wife Mary Jane [née Bodle or Bodell] b. 1852 d. 1922 & their 11 children.

Thanks for any help,
Trix
Western Australia
 ???

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 Cavan census - Knocknalosset (Knockbride parish) - LUCAS
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 July 07 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Trix,

There are no Census records available for Ireland until that of 1901. There are a number of Census Substitutes. Griffiths Valuation of Ireland which took place between 1848 to 1861 is a good source for finding ancestors although it only lists the head of household. There are twelve people with the surname Lucas listed on the Valuation for Cavan which took place in 1856-7. 

I received a message from PRONI this morning advising me that they only hold microfilmed copies of the 1901 Census for the six counties which constitute Northern Ireland. You'll need to contact the National Archives of Ireland at Bishop Street, Dublin 8 to see the Census for the rest of Ireland.

Christopher

Offline Les57

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 October 09 20:32 BST (UK) »
Hello, greetings from Cavan. Did you ever manage to track down your Lucas ancestors from Knocknalossett?

Offline Trix

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 October 09 02:27 BST (UK) »
Dear Les,
I have managed a few more snippets - but basically I am still a bit stuck:

John William LUCAS, son of John b. abt 1850 (probably baptised Church of Ireland) & died 1925
married 4 Oct 1877 Knockbride Church Of Ireland Parish Church, County Cavan
Mary Jane BODELL  b. 1852 Drumhillagh North, Knockbride Parish & died 1922

I think Mary Jane is the daughter of William BODELL (or Bodle) farmer of Drumhillagh North, Knockbride Parish who married Ann WILSON 1851 .

I would love any help to find John William Lucas' parents & to find out more about William Bodell.

Thanks for any advice or tips,
cheers,
Bron
 ;D

Offline Les57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 October 09 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm not connected to either family but I was raised in the area so I might be able to point you in the direction of some folk if you email me. I only signed on to this site recently so I'm not able to access your address. Les

Offline tyler35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 October 09 16:43 BST (UK) »
Hi
    My great grandfather was (we think) Thomas Robert Lucas from Cavan but Im finding
it really hard to find any info on him, my grandfather had always said they grew up in
Cootehill or Dernycash but according to google maps that last place doesnt even exist. My grandfather died in the late 90s so I think he may have missed the 1911 census, any information on tracking the cavan lucas family would be greatly appreciated thanks  :)

Offline Les57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 October 09 17:04 BST (UK) »
Hi, if you look at a google map and find the R191 Cootehill to Bailieborough road and just to the right of the word Latully you will find Dernakesh which I'm sure is the townland you call Dernycash. You will also see Knocknalossett close to Dernakesh. I remember my late mother who was raised in Knocknalossett speak of a Lucas family who lived nearby and when the parents died their daughter went to Australia. Les

Offline tyler35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 October 09 17:20 BST (UK) »
That's great Les thank you  :) Im new to this so my details are still sketchy

Offline Trix

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 October 09 08:56 BST (UK) »
Dear Les & Tyler,
I think we all all discussing the same family.  John William Lucas' youngest daughter did emigrate to Australia (& is my connection). She had a brother Thomas Robert LUCAS born 1890 Knocknalosset, County Cavan - so that sounds like your G grandfather Tyler.  I will try & do a personal message to you both so we can email,
Cheers
"Trix"