Author Topic: Captain Robert Falcon SCOTT of the Antarctic  (Read 44900 times)

Offline CookieA

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Captain Robert Falcon SCOTT of the Antarctic
« Reply #63 on: Saturday 31 August 13 00:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Coonwarra,

I'm not sure if you are still reading posts on this forum, the original posts were some time ago.

I have been researching the same family lineage as you, my wife has Mary Elizabeth Hammond and Thomas Hannah as common ancesters with you, her mother is your cousin I think.

My research was some time ago, with memory fading and notes poor I can't quote sources, however, I have a note which says that Thomas Hammond and Agnes Templeton were English (possibly Yorkshire) and moved to Dublin. I also have a note which says that Mary Elizabeth and Georgina were born to a first marriage and Florence and Nellie to a second marriage (although it doesn't say if this was Thomas's or Agnes's - but might explain the 100 year old lady who could have been a stepmother). This might also explain why you can't find birth records for Florence and Nellie.

The version of the family history that I've heard is that it's Thomas Hannah who's related to Scott, but this is anything other than verified.

I would be love to hear if you've got any further with this connection, I have an interest in Scott and Plymouth and if this could tie into the family tree that would be very exciting.

Andy
Somerset - Pole, Hill, Strong, Hartnell, Walk, Thorne, Miller, Paddock, Green, Barber, Newick, Hancock, Blackmore, Rawle
Herefordshire - Cooke, Cook, Bright, Virgo, Bridges, Williams
Shropshire - Bright, Potter, Freeman, Woodfield, Prince, Wintridge
Grangemouth/Falkirk - Boyles, Hannah, Hogarth, Dunn, Rankine, Miller, Carlaw, Alison, Thane, Crawford, Johnston
Renfrewshire / Ayreshire / Argyleshire - Currie, Watson, Taylor, Glover, Bannatyne
Dublin - Hammond
Antrim - Darroch, Lundy, Crosier

Offline CookieA

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Saturday 31 August 13 09:56 BST (UK) »
One further thought, there are a lot of street names in Plymouth named after Scottish places, particularly around the Hoe. One example of this would be the football team being called Plymouth Argyll, they used to play in Argyll Street.

Does anyone know of a particular connection between Plymouth and Scotland? Maybe something like settlement by Scots following the Jacobite Rebellion? Or maybe Highland Clearances?

Andy
Somerset - Pole, Hill, Strong, Hartnell, Walk, Thorne, Miller, Paddock, Green, Barber, Newick, Hancock, Blackmore, Rawle
Herefordshire - Cooke, Cook, Bright, Virgo, Bridges, Williams
Shropshire - Bright, Potter, Freeman, Woodfield, Prince, Wintridge
Grangemouth/Falkirk - Boyles, Hannah, Hogarth, Dunn, Rankine, Miller, Carlaw, Alison, Thane, Crawford, Johnston
Renfrewshire / Ayreshire / Argyleshire - Currie, Watson, Taylor, Glover, Bannatyne
Dublin - Hammond
Antrim - Darroch, Lundy, Crosier

Offline Niqui.G

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 10 June 15 00:33 BST (UK) »
My  Maiden name is Veronique Christel Scott , my father Kenneth Sydney Terry Scott was born on 18 My 1917 in Newbury , his brother Claude Eustace Scott was 4/5 years older than him , my Grandfather was Sydney Eustace Scott and was a newspaper man who worked for the local Paper in Newbury. I have an older half brother Terry Peter Kenneth Scott was born in 1946 in Newbury , his godfather was my Late dad's cousin - Peter Markham Scott. I know that my great grandfather's name was George and my dad had a cousin / uncle called Rupert and that there was an Aunt Daisy and Nel , other than that finding information is a bit skectchy and difficult as it is costly.
My paternal grandother was Ethel Emma Terry

If anyone has any information please do let me know

Offline Peter Selley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 22 October 15 13:42 BST (UK) »
If I may chip in here with a request:

Russell Coombe (1855-1933) was born in Waterford, Ireland and became a surgeon in Exeter, Devon. He claimed to be a cousin of Captain Scott, and indeed represented the Scott family at a memorial service in Exeter Cathedral.

Other surnames in his lineage are Russell, Hawkins and Beaumont. He married Eve Johnstone.

I have been unable to establish how Russell Coombe and Scott were related, and hope some kind soul will know the answer.

Offline James Ha

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Monday 20 January 20 18:04 GMT (UK) »
CookieA
Not sure if this is helpful but have a bit more information on the  Dublin Hammond lineage. Florrie and Nellie were my grt grt aunts who my father believes were twins. They had a brother, Thomas Hammond (my grt grandfather), who moved to Mundesley. Florrie and Nellie moved to Mundesley from Dublin shortly before they died. Interestingly my father knew a Thomas, Nellie and Florrie and they never mentioned having any siblings.