Author Topic: Dolwyddelan or Patagonia?  (Read 18529 times)

Offline paulpesda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dolwyddelan or Patagonia?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 30 August 13 09:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter. Please remind me of who you're looking for, and I will have a look . p

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 31 August 13 05:27 BST (UK) »
I remember a Gwyn Williams but he was an engineer? at the water? thing...something about a dam?

Speaking of dam...dam, but I wish I'd paid more attention.... :P :P :P
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 31 August 13 06:06 BST (UK) »
Oh never mind...that was Glyn Williams. My bad :P :)
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 02 September 13 00:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul

My Williams family appears to have left Dolwyddelan after 1901. My gg grandmother Margaret died at Penrhiw in 1900 (her husband Robert having died 1878). A son William Robert (my great grandfather)  moved sometime after the 1901 census to the Wrexham area. The only Williams in the property in 1911 is another William aged 23 and described as a servant.
I visited the farm several years ago and spoke to Gwynedd Williams but he does not seem to be a relative.
The Robert Williams above only seems to have gone to the farm between 1841 and 1851 as although born there in 1812 the family was in Festiniog in 1841.

Quite honestly although I have bmd certificates and them in censuses I am still not 100% sure of my earlier facts. There are so many similar names.

Anything of relevance would be gratefully received.

Peter
Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
Thomas,Trewren,Holmes,Thirlwall,Jones again & again
& more

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline paulpesda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 18:31 BST (UK) »
Hi China and Peter. Hope you're both well. Long time! How the years fly by! I have managed to unravel the Penrhiw families, and happy to share my findings with you by e-mail first, and then if you agree, I'd be happy to repost it here too. If you'd be so kind as to mail me paulpesda@hotmail.co.uk and then I can reply. Thank you. P

Offline Bryn Meurig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 05 July 15 18:53 BST (UK) »
I've already posted a message on a similar thread, but basically I have information about the family at Beudy Bach in the late 1830s- mentions Robert Williams (son of Gwern Gof, from Capel Curig) m. Gwen Jones. He was killed in a quarry in ?Patagonia. She came from Penrhiw. There is mention of Moses and other children.

Also have details of people living at 3 properties described as Penrhiw: Penybryn, Penrhiw; Ty Ucha, Penrhiw; Penrhiw.

Happy to share all the details if any of you send me a PM.
Davies, Owen, Jones, Pritchard in Dolwyddelan and Penmachno.
Hughes, Jones, Closs in/near Llanberis.
Aston, Walker in the Lye, Worcs.
Farrell, Hollins, Holland in Birmingham.

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 05 July 15 19:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Bryn

I have seen your posts and would welcome more information. China and myself both have Williams families from Dolwyddelan and we both have from Penrhiw. As mention in a previous post there may well be a Festiniog connection for me as well. China's family and mine are very probably connected but I do not like to take anything for granted. The Williams families in Penrhiw have many similar names. There was also a Jones family at the same time.
A possible scenario is that Griffith W born 1786 and who died in Penrhiw in 1873 was the son of
William Griffith. No doubt China will these emails and give her input.
Please let me know if you require any census references.
Thanks for your interest.
Peter
Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
Thomas,Trewren,Holmes,Thirlwall,Jones again & again
& more

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Bryn Meurig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 05 July 15 21:44 BST (UK) »
Noswaith dda!

The information I have is in the form of a booklet, and is a private census of all the houses in Dolwyddelan between 1838 and 1842, and lists not only the occupants, but also their ancestors, in-laws (and where they came from) and descendants! It then becomes so much easier to find official records!

Before I was given a copy of this, I had spent years trying to track my Taid's father's family, and one look at "Ffridd" and I realised I had been looking for Davies, when it was listed as "Dafydd", and later elsewhere as "Dafis" and again as "Davys"!! It also told me that the son, Owen, married his cousin Mary - and that explained resemblances on a couple of family photos! Marriage Certs and official census's don't always give an inclining of anything like that!

The sections for B. Bach and Penrhiw take up 3/4 of a page of A4 typing, and I just don't have the time to type it all out, but I am very happy to scan the relevant bits  and email them to you, if you will send me a PM with your email address. Likewise for any other addresses which interest you!

Regards,
BM
Davies, Owen, Jones, Pritchard in Dolwyddelan and Penmachno.
Hughes, Jones, Closs in/near Llanberis.
Aston, Walker in the Lye, Worcs.
Farrell, Hollins, Holland in Birmingham.

Offline paulpesda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 04 September 17 09:39 BST (UK) »
Helo Bryn Meurig, o le daeth y cyfrifiad annibynnol am Dolwyddelan? Sut allwn i gael copi? Fy ebost idi paulpesda@hotmail.co.uk
diolch