Author Topic: Jackson Bampton  (Read 29294 times)

Offline leahd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jackson Bampton
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 01 February 09 03:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

Have been reading this thread with great interest - I'm also trying to sort out a bunch of Meaburn DENTs (sorry - no JACKSONs). I was interested to read about Meaburn Hill Mill. Deborah - in your research, did you happen across a Robert DENT who at his death in 1710 was listed as living at Meaburn Hill Mill? His wife's name was Isabell.

Robert was  baptised 1678 in Lowther, son of Richard DENT. His brother was Myles DENT, baptised 1681 in Lowther. I don't know their mother's name.

I think Richard was baptised 1639 in Kings Meaburn, son of Richard DENT and Elisabeth WILSON. His siblings included Elizabeth (1636), John (1639-1640), Jane (1641-1647), Rowland (1643), Thomas (1646-1647), Ann (1646-1648), Margret (1651-1652) and Robert (1651-1651), all baptised at Morland.

I'd love to hear if anyone has any info on this DENT branch.

Cheers, Leah
DENT: Penrith, Watermillock, St Johns in the Vale, Matterdale, Kings Meaburn, Morland, Crosby Ravensworth
NICHOLSON: Hutton Soil, Watermillock
SHEPHERD: Newton Reigny

Offline Gypsy Scholar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 18 September 09 03:29 BST (UK) »
Flass,
I am wondering if you know anything of the name Agen or Agin in the Dent family. My great-great grandfather was Thomas Agen Dent, and it seems to have been a family name.
Dent:Warwickshire
Burgar, Reid, Setter, Hughes/Hughison:Papa Westray  and Westray Orkney
Gorman:Antrim
Cholmeley:Isle of Wight and Hampshire
Daeth/Death: Burton Latimer
Beasley:Warwickshire
Toll:Cornwall
Clark: Devonshire
Scott: Dumfries and Galloway
Mitchell: Tipperary
Sims/Shipman: Wiltshire
Homfray: Worcester

Offline Darlingtonian

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 19 September 09 00:22 BST (UK) »
This thread gets better ..... I know I should start another thread but I can't resist butting to ask if anyone has any information on Christian Woof (1775) who married Jonathan Rigg in 1797 ... their daughter Ann Rigg married my William Ellwood in 1820 in CR.

A few years ago I did look round the church graveyard in CR and there's quite a few 'Riggs' and 'Wooffs' (strange name) but none that I was looking for at the time. 

My William Ellwood was christened at Whitber, CR, ...was this an area or a building? 

Jean
Lidster, Mellanby, Milburn, Laidler, Peart, Thornton, Catterson, Ellwood, Ingleby, Ramage, Sedgewick, Collinson....... Co.Durham
Ingleby....Derbyshire
Ellwood, Rigg, Gibson, Park, Fothergill.....Westmorland

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 20 September 09 20:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean,

Whitber is a farm in Maulds Meaburn.

Regards,

Gillian
Elwood/Ellwood: WES & CUM
Johnson: Crosby Ravensworth, Hilton & Dufton WES
Robinson: CUM
Langhorn: Kirkby Thore WES
Dover: WES & CUM
Parker: Soulby, Bedale
Hunt: Gentleshaw, Bladon, Hanborough
Slynn: Birmingham
Rammell: KENT
Felton: Shropshire

Offline Darlingtonian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 21 September 09 00:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gillian, so kind ....... you've helped me so much in the past with my Ellwoods.  Do you know if the farm is still there? 

When you don't know an area, it's so confusing ....... When William Ellwood was baptised it was at Whitber, Crosby Ravensworth when he married he came from Morland ...... when his son was baptised he came from Low Whitber, Crosby Ravensworth...... would MM come under CR in the parish register.

Jean
Lidster, Mellanby, Milburn, Laidler, Peart, Thornton, Catterson, Ellwood, Ingleby, Ramage, Sedgewick, Collinson....... Co.Durham
Ingleby....Derbyshire

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 21 September 09 15:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean,

Yes MM is in the parish of CR so all people living MM would be baptised, married & buried at Lawrence's church in CR.

Whitber was there in 1901 according to the census. Whitber is located next to Roans & near Crabstack & Lankaber.

Regards,

Gillian

PS Am always interested when Ellwoods are involved!!

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 05 October 09 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean,

According to a friend of CR, Whitber farm is still there. If you look at the map it is between Littlebeck and the Lyvennet.  It is known also as High Whitber because there was another Whitber to the North of Kings Meaburn, but it is just a barn now. Present farmer at High Whitber is Moderator Comment: Modified to remove details of living person.  Please send such information by personal message.
Regards,

Gillian

Offline Darlingtonian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 05 October 09 11:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Gillian ...... I have been looking at High Whitber on my Ordinance Survey Map and wondering if that could be the place ...... you've now confirmed that.

Thanks again for taking the time
Jean
Ingleby....Derbyshire

Offline twhutch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 02:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello. My apologies for joining this thread, since I have nothing to add on the Jacksons in Bampton. However, I would like very much to contact Nick Dent (user name Flass) about some of the Dent families that he mentioned earlier. I also have some Dent ancestors in Morland in the early 1700s, and hope that we might be able to link our families together. I would be happy to correspond by regular email, since this is my first post ever in RootsChat, but I think I can make this work too, if you prefer that  :-)

Regards to all, and happy researching!
Tom