Author Topic: Can anyone tell me what this means?  (Read 2832 times)

Offline KPM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandad
    • View Profile
Can anyone tell me what this means?
« on: Tuesday 19 June 07 15:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have found the following information relating to my ancestors but I have no idea what it means.

21b, Ashford, Thos Pet clk, cure unserved, 18 Jun 1571 , Bound £40. Womenswold, Vincent Nethersole of Kingston & John Daye of W, cure unserved, 30 Jun 1571 , Bound £10. Marginal note that bond is on 1570 file. Footnote: John Nethersoll & Silvester Nethersoll (? gave account). Instance Act Book 1577 (Y.3.16), fol. 105. 26 Nov 1577.

Can anyone explain what it means?? ???

Thanks in advance
Hamilton, Kingston, Surrey
Dorbon, St Pancras
Paterson, Middlesex & Fife
Underhay, Clerkenwell & Devon
Jackson, Neithrop
Axon, Walmer, Deal
Turner, Ambrosden Oxn
Fullagar, Kent

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone tell me what this means?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 June 07 15:22 BST (UK) »
It looks like an extract from a 16th century survey of Kent parishes, here dealing with Ashford and Womenswold.  Cure unserved seems from other online sources to be something to do with a neglected parish (no curate/no priest???).  It looks as though bound copies of the survey reports were/are available for the prices quoted.

The names (Thos Pet/Vincent Nethersole/John Daye) may be those of the parish clerks, as indicated by the "clk" after Thomas Pet's name.  John and Silvester Nethersoll seem to have had some involvement with the Womenswold survey, but I don't know exactly what "gave account" would signify in this context.

What is the source of the information?  It's always helpful to have as much context as possible.

Anna

Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline KPM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 June 07 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Anna

Thank you for your reply

I found these under the heading: Canterbury Licences (Teaching and Medical) 1568-1646 in the Kent Parish and Probate Records.

Vincent Nethersole was the husband of Silvester Nethersole and either the brother or father of John.  The Nethersole's were quite a wealthy family (so I've been told) so I wonder whether they made any financial contritubion?

Thanks again for your time

Anne-Marie (KPM)
Hamilton, Kingston, Surrey
Dorbon, St Pancras
Paterson, Middlesex & Fife
Underhay, Clerkenwell & Devon
Jackson, Neithrop
Axon, Walmer, Deal
Turner, Ambrosden Oxn
Fullagar, Kent

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 February 16 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anna

Thank you for your reply

I found these under the heading: Canterbury Licences (Teaching and Medical) 1568-1646 in the Kent Parish and Probate Records.

Vincent Nethersole was the husband of Silvester Nethersole and either the brother or father of John.  The Nethersole's were quite a wealthy family (so I've been told) so I wonder whether they made any financial contritubion?

Thanks again for your time

Anne-Marie (KPM)

Hi there

I'm descended from the Nethersole family as well through marriages into the Denne family. My main ancestors are Vincent Nethersole and Elizabeth Denne, and Alice Nethersole who married Michael Denne. Both Vincent and Alice, Elizabeth and Michael were cousins. Through both of these I can trace my ancestry back to Vincent and Sylvester Nethersole and beyond.

I'd be interested to know more about this material you discovered. What did you learn about the family from these sources and where are they held?

Please feel free to send me a personal message and we can share our Nethersole information.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 February 16 00:06 GMT (UK) »
It looks like an extract from a 16th century survey of Kent parishes, here dealing with Ashford and Womenswold.  Cure unserved seems from other online sources to be something to do with a neglected parish (no curate/no priest???).  It looks as though bound copies of the survey reports were/are available for the prices quoted.

The names (Thos Pet/Vincent Nethersole/John Daye) may be those of the parish clerks, as indicated by the "clk" after Thomas Pet's name.  John and Silvester Nethersoll seem to have had some involvement with the Womenswold survey, but I don't know exactly what "gave account" would signify in this context.

What is the source of the information?  It's always helpful to have as much context as possible.

Anna

Hi there

Do you know anything about Thomas Pet? I'm descended from the Nethersole family through their marriages with the Denne family. One of my ancestors is Margaret Pett who married Thomas Denne. Could Thomas Pet be a relation?

Please feel free to send me a personal message and we can share information.

Matt