Author Topic: Some Duntocher laddies  (Read 37572 times)

Offline griogair

• RootsChat Extra
  • Great-grandfather John Thomson (b.1877) Duntocher
    • View Profile
Some Duntocher laddies
« on: Wednesday 20 June 07 10:10 BST (UK) »
I've got a few Duntocher pictures here that I'd like to share. I'll try this one first and make sure that it works before I continue with the rest.

This first pic features who I’m 99% certain is my grandfather, John Thomson, in the back row and far left of the picture, and my grandfather’s brother, Alexander Thomson, fifth from the left in the back row. My granda was born in Duntocher in 1907 and his brother Alex was born in 1904 in Duntocher, and from the picture I’d say that they’re roughly in their mid 20s. So, using my (probably incorrect) logic the picture was taken sometime in the early 1930s. I presume the picture was taken in Duntocher or Hardgate and perhaps some eagle-eyed viewer may have an idea of which back garden it was taken in! I’m not sure at all what the occasion is; perhaps the accordion gives some sort of clue, I just don’t know, but it does look as if they’re dressed for a leisurely day out, perhaps the Duntocher Gala, or something similar. I’d be delighted to hear if anyone recognises someone from the picture.

More to come.....
Thomson - Duntocher<br />MacKay/McKay - Ness - Isle of Lewis, Tradeston, Dalmuir<br />Gillan - Cavan, Duntocher<br />Crerar - Loch Tay, Perthshire<br />Muir - Allness, Ross-shire<br />Speed - Campbeltown<br />Boden - Ayrshire, Duntocher<br />McQuiston - Ayrshire

Offline griogair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Some Duntocher laddies
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 June 07 14:41 BST (UK) »
Here's another picture, for your perusal. Again, I'd love to hear of anyone who has a connection to someone in the picture. The title at the bottom says "The Hardgates of Duntocher". As this one was taken from quite a distance it's quite difficult to zoom in and make a positive identification of the individuals. I'm presuming my grandfather is in the pic (I haven't got round to getting my dad to make a positive ID yet) and if he's one of the younger ones at the back, that would mean the photo was mid to late 1910s.

All the best
Thomson - Duntocher<br />MacKay/McKay - Ness - Isle of Lewis, Tradeston, Dalmuir<br />Gillan - Cavan, Duntocher<br />Crerar - Loch Tay, Perthshire<br />Muir - Allness, Ross-shire<br />Speed - Campbeltown<br />Boden - Ayrshire, Duntocher<br />McQuiston - Ayrshire

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 June 07 15:22 BST (UK) »
What great photo's griogair, thank you for sharing them with us.
I was searching the 1910 photo to see if I could recognise my great grandfather and his brothers, the Munn's from Duntocher.

Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline tootsiepie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 June 07 14:22 BST (UK) »
What wonderful photos ,  but does anyone else think they have been taken in the same time frame???  Not 20 yrs apart.   Look at the characters and their clothing....  That ''cricket'' jumper with the shirt underneath, also the chap with the neckerchief,   the ''dapper'' lad who liked to appear smart at all times  ;D..  I think they were taken the same year.
Flynn,Cox, Slaven-Co Longford
Donnelly,McGeown,Hughes,McCrory- Co Armagh
Hargan,Curran,Bradley,Grant,Peoples ,Patton,Dunn-Donegal
Conway,Degnan,McDonald,Cassidy,Kelly,Fenmore,Ryans,Kilkenny,Murray-Ireland/England/Scotland
Reeves,Fox,Williams-Shropshire/Staffordshire/Scotland
Gill,Kane-I.O.M/England/Scotland

Murdoch,Bruce,Rankine,Ballantyne-Ayrshire
McCutchen,McAdam,Wright-Kirkcudbright,Dumfries,Ayrshire

And others

Plus all variations in spellings

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 June 07 14:29 BST (UK) »
What year do you think they were taken?
1910?

:)
Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline tootsiepie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 June 07 15:43 BST (UK) »
1930 ish?????  but I really don't know.
Flynn,Cox, Slaven-Co Longford
Donnelly,McGeown,Hughes,McCrory- Co Armagh
Hargan,Curran,Bradley,Grant,Peoples ,Patton,Dunn-Donegal
Conway,Degnan,McDonald,Cassidy,Kelly,Fenmore,Ryans,Kilkenny,Murray-Ireland/England/Scotland
Reeves,Fox,Williams-Shropshire/Staffordshire/Scotland
Gill,Kane-I.O.M/England/Scotland

Murdoch,Bruce,Rankine,Ballantyne-Ayrshire
McCutchen,McAdam,Wright-Kirkcudbright,Dumfries,Ayrshire

And others

Plus all variations in spellings

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 June 07 15:45 BST (UK) »

My family wouldn't be in it then, they were all killed in WW1  :'(

Still they are great photo's.

Munn New Jersey and Oz

Offline griogair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 June 07 23:33 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your comments. I can now see clearly what you mean about the lad with the cricket jumper. The photos are clearly taken at around the same time as he has the same clothes on in both photos! Therefore both would've been taken around the late 20s/early 30s. I feel a bit daft for not noticing before  :-[

I'll post any others I have on this board if anyone's interested.

Offline farmer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 June 07 00:19 BST (UK) »
Aye, Griogair,
Great photos.   The Hardgates - a lot going on in that photo!  I wonder what the occasion was?
More photos please!
Pete