Author Topic: Some Duntocher laddies  (Read 37573 times)

Offline griogair

• RootsChat Extra
  • Great-grandfather John Thomson (b.1877) Duntocher
    • View Profile
Re: Some Duntocher laddies
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Allan, thanks for the info on the Black Diamonds. I'll definitely be asking my dad about them but I doubt he'll say much even if he does know!

Here are some Duntocher related pictures. Incidentally, my profile picture is of my great-grandfather, John Thomson a.k.a. Auld Jock, who lived in Carleith Avenue until he passed away aged about 80 odds in the early 1960s. I wonder if your grandfather remembers him? Anyway, these first 2 are group shots with a few of the same faces from the first 2 pictures I posted and a good few others as well.

Cheers,

Griogair
Thomson - Duntocher<br />MacKay/McKay - Ness - Isle of Lewis, Tradeston, Dalmuir<br />Gillan - Cavan, Duntocher<br />Crerar - Loch Tay, Perthshire<br />Muir - Allness, Ross-shire<br />Speed - Campbeltown<br />Boden - Ayrshire, Duntocher<br />McQuiston - Ayrshire

Offline al graham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to take so long in replying. Many thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread and especially to Allan Coyle who mentioned the names of a couple of boys in the photos. I would also be intrigued to find out more about the "Black Diamonds". I must ask my dad when I speak to him next. I was wondering Allan, if you would mind showing another few photos to your grandfather. They were among my gran's photos, so there will definitely be a Duntocher connection - she died about 10 years ago and no-one in the family now knows who the people are in the pictures. It's a long shot maybe but you never know. I'll post the pictures on this thread later once I've scanned them.

Many thanks,

Griogair

Offline griogair

• RootsChat Extra
  • Great-grandfather John Thomson (b.1877) Duntocher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 22 March 12 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Al Graham,

Many thanks for the info on your grandfather. I think your first post relating to this thread ended up elsewhere but for anyone else who is interested in these photos I'll copy and paste Al's post here:

"Hello all

New to this so bear with me please. The last 2 pics on page 3 of the Duntocher thread includes my grandfather Daniel Black, brother of (David) Borland Black and a well known quoits man in his day.

Dan is

Front row -4 in from right pic 1
Back row - 5 in from left.

Dan had 4 brothers, David Borland Black, William Watson Black, Archibald Black, George Paterson Black.  His Father also Daniel was killed in Dec 1914, WW1.

If anyone wants more information on the Black family of Duntocher/the Hardgate please let me know.

Dan was a lovely man and a real thrill to see him as a young man. Thanks for posting

Al Graham"
Thomson - Duntocher<br />MacKay/McKay - Ness - Isle of Lewis, Tradeston, Dalmuir<br />Gillan - Cavan, Duntocher<br />Crerar - Loch Tay, Perthshire<br />Muir - Allness, Ross-shire<br />Speed - Campbeltown<br />Boden - Ayrshire, Duntocher<br />McQuiston - Ayrshire

Offline allan.coyle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 08 November 15 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi peeps,

Not been on here in a while, wondering if any of you guys can help with this Duntocher photo. We beleave that the boy second from the left on the front row may be my grandfather. the photo might be Duntocher public school or the scouts. We reckon it's mid 30s.
Can anyone claim any of these boys ?

Thanks

AC

Offline Bethgillan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 14 April 17 05:58 BST (UK) »
I just found this site.  I am Beth Gillan.  I am related to a string of Gillan's from Partick, mostly John Gillan's.  I father in law is a John Gillan living in the US.  I am planning a trip soon to Scotland with my son to see where the Gillan's lived.