Author Topic: DE RESCORLA The Last of His Line?  (Read 12687 times)

Offline michaelrescorle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DE RESCORLA The Last of His Line?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 February 09 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Lee,

This is fascinating and it would be good to talk. My brother and I have traced the Rescorle diaspora from the late 1880s and discovered those who emigrated to the USA, Canada and Australia. The world wide tree now stands at over 1150 names covering hundreds of marriages and surnames through 18 generations back to 1530.

However, while we have traced ancestors in Australia we have not found those who still carry the family name or derivatives there of. The first to emigrate was John Rescorl who was a master mariner from Fowey Cornwall. He arrived in NSW in the 1870s and we are in touch with descendants of his daughter who are now called Winn.

We are aware of Rescorls who still live in Sydney but have not made contact so we would be delighted to talk or follow up any leads you may be able to give us about Rescorles/Rescorls or any alternate spellings.

Kind regards.

Michael Rescorle

Offline michaelrescorle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Still not sure about the de or de la prefix!

De in the old Cornish language means 'yesterday' but unless it was used to also mean 'old' I do not see how or why it would be put before a family or place name! Anyone got any ideas?

Is most probably from French meaning 'of the' so De La Reskorlann would be 'of the enclosure by the river course/ford'. But, I have never seen these words written in this context and often De La before a French surname simply means 'The' a bit like Al before Arab names i.e. 'The (family name)'.

Most interesting bit is whether the 2 place carrying the name in Cornwall - Rescorla farm and Rescorla village - were in fact settled by Normans who brought the name with them? Or, and more likely, they took their surnames from local Cornish (Celtic) places where they settled.

Michael

Offline jlmack1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 February 09 07:09 GMT (UK) »
Yes Michael, check with Trevor as I have been speaking with him regarding the Aust. branches.

Lee

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
  • Maggie Wright 1889-1949
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 March 09 22:31 GMT (UK) »
There was a Mick/Nick/Rick Rescorla who was quite a hero in the bombing of the Twin Towers. He got lots of others out and lost his own life I believe. He was Cornish.

Fizzy

Rick Rescorla of Twin Towers fame came from Hayle in Cornwall

Ellen
Court, Stratford on Avon, Dorsington, Welford<br />Faulkner,Glos/Warwicks<br />Higgins, Quinton<br />Bennett, Stoke on Trent<br />Stride, Hampshire<br />Wright, Stoke on Trent<br />McConnell, Co Donegal<br />Brooks, Co Donegal, Antrim<br />Jackson, Warwickshire/Isle of Wight/India/army<br />Keefe, Essex, Hampshire/Isle of Wight/army/india<br, Queensland aus. />Chatfield, Sussex

Offline fidgee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 25 March 11 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello!!  :)

I've just joined this site today and have been having a quick look at the Cornish page.
My Great Grandmother was Eliza Mary Roscorla. She was born in St.Erth in 1884. I've only got as far back as Phillip Roscollar (G.G.G. Grandfather) born 1816 in Breage. There were a lot of Roscorlas' around this area of Cornwall.
I heard about Rick Rescorla and traced his family back but they are a different branch to my family despite coming from Hayle which is where Eliza Mary, her children and my mother lived.

Anne :-)

Offline jlmack1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 27 March 11 03:09 BST (UK) »
Welcome Anne,
I think we may be from different trees.
I do not have any Eliza or Philip on my tree.
There are many var. Rescorl.........etc. so keep trying.

The Rick from the Twin Towers is not on my tree either.

It is all very interesting, and particularly when you get a hit.

Cheers,
Lee

Offline Graylight

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 19:45 BST (UK) »
There was a Mick/Nick/Rick Rescorla who was quite a hero in the bombing of the Twin Towers. He got lots of others out and lost his own life I believe. He was Cornish.

Rick Rescorla of Twin Towers fame came from Hayle in Cornwall

There is a memorial to Rick Rescorla on the grass bank that overlooks the harbour opposite Penpol Terrace in Hayle, Cornwall..

Offline Jenny Meadows

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 16 March 15 15:21 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking at the Thomas Julian and Jenefer Rescorla family at the moment and if anyone has any information on this family please reply.

Offline johnhan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 21 March 16 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am not sure if anyone still looks at this but I am a descendant of John Rescorl. My Grandfather was Charly Rescorl who died in 1966 He was married to Emily Maude. His sister married a Winn ' The family had a major department store in Sydney during the 60s  His son was John Charles Rescorl who was killed in Battle of the Muar River in Malaya  at the beginning of WW2. My sister is  Susan Jane Rescorl Stevenson
This may help someone   thanks John